The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Cubbies win the NL Central!!!

The Cubs are in the playoffs for the first time since 2003. Right now their fans are focused on THIS year.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 07:21am
In Memoriam

From USA Today---"Red Sox players popped champagne corks in their clubhouse while thousands of fans jumped up and down in nearly empty Fenway Park."
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Go Cubbies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

The Cubs are in the playoffs for the first time since 2003. Right now their fans are focused on THIS year.
HERE'S A WISH OF GOOD LUCK TO THE CUBBIES FROM A CARDINALS FAN.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I'm happy for the Cubs. I'm glad to see them in the playoffs again. I really feel bad for the Brewers, tho. They seemed to be sitting pretty in that division for a while and they couldn't hold on to it. They're not gonna get the wild card either, so they're left out of the party.

And what's the deal with Cecil and Prince Fielder, huh? What a wierd story that is. It's too bad the two of them can't just enjoy the kid's (and the dad's) success together.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
From USA Today---"Red Sox players popped champagne corks in their clubhouse while thousands of fans jumped up and down in nearly empty Fenway Park."
That's an odd quote. It looked like most of the crowd stayed till the end of the the Yanks/O's game. It certainly wasn't "nearly empty". What the (JR's location) happened in the 9th in Baltimore, anyway? Were the Yankees that desperate to avoid flying to Anaheim? And then Giambi can't get it done with the bases loaded in the top of the 10th? And then, you give up a 2-out bases loaded bunt for a hit to lose the game? That's just bizarre. Who would even attempt a bunt with 2 outs and the bases loaded? Was ARod playing on the outfield grass or something?

So the Sox win the AL East for the first time since '95. That's nice and all, but the last 3 times they've won the division, they've been swept in the first round of the playoffs. I don't think that'll happen this year, as they've dominated the Angels, so they shouldn't get swept. One can hope. . .

My wife's favorite part of the night was when the Sox came back out onto the field to celebrate with the fans who stayed. Jonathon Papelbon came out wearing an empty beer box over his head, with eye holes cut out so he could see out of it. I've been trying to find a picture online to post here, but I haven't had any luck. She thought it was hysterical, tho.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Shut up and drink your tequilla.

(It clearly says, "for those of you who don't know". Kind of like "warning, off topic thread")
Watch it or you'll be dealing with Michelle & Kim.

(Clearly we must read beyond the warning in order to determine into which group we belong.)
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 09:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Watch it or you'll be dealing with Michelle & Kim.
If he wants to deal with Michelle & Kim, somebody will have to put him up to it.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

(Used with permission.)
Old Sun Sep 30, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Indians have the best record in baseball, but starting Thursday it's a whole new ballgame. Indians and Yankees -- two teams that have played very well in September -- should be fun to watch! The winner will likely go all the way.

(Maybe next year, Mick!)
Old Sun Sep 30, 2007, 09:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Indians have the best record in baseball, but starting Thursday it's a whole new ballgame. Indians and Yankees -- two teams that have played very well in September -- should be fun to watch! The winner will likely go all the way.

(Maybe next year, Mick!)
Lord Byron,
Two years ago I would have been happy at .500.
I ain't changed that much.
It has been a fun year ... twice in a row.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 06:57am
In Memoriam

NY Mets
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 07:51am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

NY Mets

Hard to generate much sympathy here when the quote came from their clubhouse recently: "We're so good sometimes we get bored."

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NY Mets
As a (somewhat) old Cubs fan, I remember 1969. It seems to remembered more for the Cubs folding that season, but I think it was just as much the Mets being "Amazing" that year. Granted, the Cubs had, I believe, an 8 game lead going into Sept., and finished 8 games back, but I believe the Mets went something like 39-11 over the final 50 games, and Cubs still ended up with 92 wins for the season. But it was a bad enough memory that Ron Santo (ex-Cub 3rd baseman and current radio broadcaster) didn't even like to travel with the club to NY (if you get a chance, watch the video "This Old Cub" for his feelings about NY.)

This season, when the Cubs visited Shea, I saw a sign in the stands that read, "Remember 1969!". So, when I see videos of Mets fans in the stands after yestarday's game, and the looks on their faces, I hope that same guy was there. Because that's what it felt like back in 1969.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 09:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how they would have done the play-in if the Mets had won yesterday and forged a tie with Philly, SD, and CO. Two teams tied for the division lead tied with two other teams for the wild card lead.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Oct 01, 2007 at 09:34am.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'm still trying to figure out exactly how they would have done the play-in if the Mets had won yesterday and forged a tie with Philly, SD, and CO. Two teams tied for the division lead tied with two other teams for the wild card lead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZcc1TXytDA
http://www.ssa.cc/nxblrules.htm