The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
[from the Detroit news]
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Appalachian State is not eligible to receive votes in the AP Top 25 poll because the school is not in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

This seems to be the same AP article, but there are a couple of small differences.

What a silly rule. If they are one of the top 25 teams in the country, then who cares what division they play in?

BTW, this must be a new rule as I know of several teams in years past that earned a top 25 ranking while playing at the 1-AA level.
At least one group has come to their senses and corrected an injustice.

Sep 6, 2007 3:24 pm US/Pacific
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_249183200.html
App. State Eligible For Div. 1 AP Top 25 Poll

(AP) After pulling off one of the greatest upsets in college football history, Appalachian State is still shaking things up.

The Associated Press said Thursday that lower-division schools -- that means you, Mountaineers -- are now eligible for its 71-year-old poll.

"It's great they opened the door," Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore said. "Certainly we're not going to be the No. 1 team in the country.

We know that. We're not even going to be in the top 10.

But if you have a win over a nice football team, I like that it's not out of the realm of possibility for a school like us to be
one of the top 20 or 25 teams in the country."

Several AP voters expressed interest in putting Appalachian State on their ballots after a shocking 34-32 upset at then-No. 5 Michigan last weekend.

But the poll guidelines, which mirrored the coaches' rankings conducted by USA Today, limited eligibility to teams competing in the former NCAA Division I-A, now known as the Football Bowl Subdivision.

The Mountaineers compete in the Football Championship Subdivision, known before this season as Division I-AA.

The AP decided to make the change because schools that show they can compete with big-time teams on the field should have a chance to be recognized with them in the top 25, Sports Editor Terry Taylor said.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 08:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So? Have you found any confirmation that a 1-AA team has evern been ranked in the 1-A poll before?
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
So? Have you found any confirmation that a 1-AA team has ever been ranked in the 1-A poll before?
I know that it is true. I can tell you for a fact that Nevada did it in 1986.

They did not keep the ranking for the final poll though as they lost in the 1-AA semifinals to Georgia Southern 48-38 and finished 13-1.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 05:33am
In Memoriam

Sad story.......

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...pply_of_h.html

More names to come too........
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 07:10am
In Memoriam

Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 07:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Sad story.......

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...pply_of_h.html

More names to come too........
My understanding is that he quit doing it before Baseball banned it; and that at this point, the federal probe isn't accusing him of any wrong doing.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 07:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
My understanding is that he quit doing it before Baseball banned it; and that at this point, the federal probe isn't accusing him of any wrong doing.
Legally, he's probably in the clear.

Morally?

And......the basic problem with HGH remains. There isn't a reliable test for it yet afaik, so it can be used with relative impunity if received from a confidential source. I have this funny kind of feeling that we all might be amazed if we did find out about the actual incidence of HGH usage in professional sports.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 07:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Legally, he's probably in the clear.
"In the clear" ?
I get it !

Same with Mark and Barry, methinks.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Given Jim Leyland's recent remarks, perhaps you might direct your focus to opponents of those-who-must-not-be-named.
Leyland turns focus to wild card (Detroit News)
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Given Jim Leyland's recent remarks, perhaps you might direct your focus to opponents of those-who-must-not-be-named.
Leyland turns focus to wild card (Detroit News)
Lord Byron,
I read that earlier this week.
He's wrong, or more likely, he was just trying to disarm the Tribe, ...to keep them from looking over their shoulders and seeing a team that just got three pitchers back, and a slugger. [Heck, Kenny Rogers threw a (one) pitch in the mid-90s t'other day, Rodney is up to mid-90s, and ZoomZoom is finding triple digits.]
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Lord Byron,
I read that earlier this week.
He's wrong, or more likely, he was just trying to disarm the Tribe, ...to keep them from looking over their shoulders and seeing a team that just got three pitchers back, and a slugger. [Heck, Kenny Rogers threw a (one) pitch in the mid-90s t'other day, Rodney is up to mid-90s, and ZoomZoom is finding triple digits.]
OK, well, you just keep your dreams alive for 22 more games, but remember: the higher your hopes, the harder the crash landing.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 11:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
OK, well, you just keep your dreams alive for 22 more games, but remember: the higher your hopes, the harder the crash landing.
Higher the hopes ?
Ha !
Detroit went on a free fall 6 weeks ago. Right now I can feel a sense of a chute opening.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And......the basic problem with HGH remains. There isn't a reliable test for it yet afaik, so it can be used with relative impunity if received from a confidential source.
So far - you're right. But we're getting pretty close.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Mick, you might be interested to know that the Indians' AA team (Akron) is playing the Tigers' AA team (Erie) in the Eastern League division series.

I went to the game tonight and saw Akron beat Erie to take a 2-1 lead in the best of 5 series. Jeromy Sowers pitched a beauty.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 12:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Hey Mick, you might be interested to know that the Indians' AA team (Akron) is playing the Tigers' AA team (Erie) in the Eastern League division series.
Lord Byron,
I went to the game tonight and saw Akron beat Erie to take a 2-1 lead in the best of 5 series. Jeromy Sowers pitched a beauty.
Hey, that's pretty cool. I think I saw (on TV) about 5 minor leaguers playing in Detroit tonight. I think some of them came from the Erie team.

Man, I would enjoy seeing a Minor league game ! I think our nearest possibility is in Madison, Wisconsin.

Close one on the Left Coast tonight.