The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 09:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I wish I had a chance to see it; I could only catch the scores on ESPN's bottom line.

Weren't there a couple of controversial calls that game besides the play at the plate? Was there something about a home run being called double?

And, if this is considered a regular-season game, why did they use 6 umpires? Don't they only use the extra umpires in post-season?
You can see it. There's a link to the video replay in the thread on the baseball forum.

The "homerun" was a double. It hit the top of the rail and came back into the field of play.

They used 6 umpires because it basically was a playoff game, no matter what they called it.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Sheez, the mets can't even beat the yankees at losing!

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7286840
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Who on here knows if the stats from this tiebreaker game between the Padres and Rockies count toward the regular season or postseason?

For example, has Holliday won the batting title already or is he risking it tonight?

Do you know for sure as I asked or are you just guessing? Because I happen to think that you are incorrect.
Looks like you found the correct answer. From what I heard on Sunday night, he would have to have gone 0-for-5 in the tiebreaker game to lose the title.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
They would not have done round robin -- takes too long, and could end indecisively.

More likely: draw lots for a "bye," the other 2 teams play, the bye team plays the winner for the wild card spot. Done decisively in 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Yes, that's what I remember reading on Saturday. Somehow the best of the 4 is selected by record for a bye or by lot if needed.
I found out how this would have worked, if anyone cares.

MLB flipped a bunch of coins and Colorado was the big winner. In the event of a four team tie, they had the option of playing two games at home or one game on the road. They selected the single road game because it meant that they got a free win or a "bye".

So what would have happened is the Mets would have played one game at Phili on Monday. The winner gets the NL East and the loser goes into the WC battle.

The NL East loser would head to San Diego for a single game on Tuesday. The loser is out. The winner hosts Colorado on Wed for the WC bid.

But it didn't happen because the Mets couldn't win a game at the end.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
They would not have done round robin -- takes too long, and could end indecisively.

More likely: draw lots for a "bye," the other 2 teams play, the bye team plays the winner for the wild card spot. Done decisively in 2 days.

I found out how this would have worked, if anyone cares.

MLB flipped a bunch of coins and Colorado was the big winner. In the event of a four team tie, they had the option of playing two games at home or one game on the road. They selected the single road game because it meant that they got a free win or a "bye".

So what would have happened is the Mets would have played one game at Phili on Monday. The winner gets the NL East and the loser goes into the WC battle.

The NL East loser would head to San Diego for a single game on Tuesday. The loser is out. The winner hosts Colorado on Wed for the WC bid.

But it didn't happen because the Mets couldn't win a game got their @zzes kicked at the end.
Yep, that's how I remember it, except I didn't realize Colorado already won their coin flip. I thought it was supposed to be between the 3 reamining teams somehow, looking at head to head play and the like.

Would have been something to see.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Three really good series openers yesterday. Of course, the one I really wanted to see was my Red Sox, but I was teaching a new applicants' class. One of the people in the class had a Blackberry and got updates of the score at the break, and by the time class finished, the game had already ended. But Beckett was amazing, Papi was his old self, and Manny even did a good job running the bases. (I think that's one of the signs of the Apocalypse.) Beckett threw his 3rd postseason shutout, and his second in a row. Ellsbury made a nifty catch in left, as a defensive replacement late in the game. Youk got off to a good start, too, which is nice to see after he missed a few games late in the season with an injury.

Rockies grab their Game 1 on the road in Philly, and Sweet Lou is being second-guessed all over Chicago for pulling Zambrano after only 85 pitches, or whatever it was. Brandon Webb (who I got to see pitch in person this season) threw a gem for D'backs.

And Walt Jocketty is out as GM in St. Louis, less than a year after the Cards won the World Series. The team said his departure was a "mutual decision". Kind of puzzling.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Sweet Lou is being second-guessed all over Chicago for pulling Zambrano after only 85 pitches, or whatever it was. Brandon Webb (who I got to see pitch in person this season) threw a gem for D'backs.
I thought it was a puzzling move as well; I figured Z would go out and at least start the 7th, and get pulled at the first whiff of trouble. But then again, the only reason there's second-guessing is because Marmol didn't do what he had been doing pretty much the whole second half of the season - dominating hitters. If he does what he's been doing, Lou would be a genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
And Walt Jocketty is out as GM in St. Louis, less than a year after the Cards won the World Series. The team said his departure was a "mutual decision". Kind of puzzling.
I wonder if there's more to the story, perhaps some sort of friction between Jocketty and ownership? Or has another team (like Oakland) already approached him? I would think someone who is responsible for a World Series one year, and in the race until the last two weeks the next year, wouldn't be forced out due to bad performance.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

The Tribe is welcoming the Yankees pitching staff to the postseason tonight.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

The Indians' radio guy mentioned that, back in the 90's when the Tribe was all hitting and mediocre pitching (in 97 for a while their whole lineup was over .300), Joe Torre was asked how his team would match up in the division series. He intoned with a smile: "In the playoffs, it all comes down to pitching."

Bases loaded and 1 out in the 5th, and the Yanks get zip? And the Tribe scores 5 in the bottom half? I think Joe's onto something.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The Tribe is welcoming the Yankees pitching staff to the postseason tonight.
Did they welcome Lebron James to their house, too? Thanks to King James, this off-topic thread isn't completely off topic.

Hall of Famer Jon Diebler would never hav done something so crass.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 02:08pm. Reason: To give full credit for the late Diebler
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Tonight the Indians are definitely bugging the Yankees.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Did they welcome Lebron James to their house, too? Thanks to King James, this off-topic thread isn't completely off topic.

Hall of Famer Jon Diebler would never hav done something so crass.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 07:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ha!
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

The Tribe now has the Yankees in an 0-2 hole!

Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 09:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Ha!

No - hat!