The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 12:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Not to mention all the people out here who'd love to come and make it a party. Including one little Mets fan who LOVES to talk baseball with you!

And/or you can stop here in Portland to see the fence at PGE Park that Rodney McCray ran through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mPMfiuCO-E
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Mike Winters update (Milton Bradley's Aggravation if you haven't been keeping up)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 07:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Mike Winters update (Milton Bradley's Aggravation if you haven't been keeping up)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Gee, a MLB umpire swore at a player. I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell ya!

That's hardly news to anyone that's sat in the first coupla rows near home plate. Umpires, players, coaches and managers have been mofo-ing each other since....well....probably the last time the Cubs won a World Series. Ken Kaiser, for one, was world class at doing that.

Gotta admit that the umps really aren't supposed to be instigating it though, if that's what happened.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Likewise, my buddy and I have been to Fenway numerous times together (lots of Patriot Day games), but not since we started our official tour.
I think Patriot's Day is my favorite day of the year to skip class for day baseball.

Quote:
Next year, I think we're visiting Fenway and the Nationals' park, which I think will still be RFK. (If they're still in RFK, I may try to convince him to skip it until they get into the new park; since we've already seen their old park in Montreal.) So Fenway will shoot to #1 next year. Actually, even as a biased BoSox fan, I can't put Fenway in the top 3.
Actually, they should be in the new stadium on Opening Day 2008.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Gee, a MLB umpire swore at a player. I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell ya!
As reported in the thread in the baseball forum, MLB discourages umpires from swearing back now. For example, with little suspensions at the ends of seasons.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 10:46pm
In Memoriam

Oh, my !
Now what?

Bos .278 3.87 5-5 W2
NY .288 4.46 7-3 W1
Cle .268 4.07 7-3 L1
LA .286 4.20 5-5 L3

Tough call.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 05:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Many different sources available...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
As reported in the thread in the baseball forum, MLB discourages umpires from swearing back now. For example, with little suspensions at the ends of seasons.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/07092...umpire_suspend

Quote:
Major League Baseball suspended umpire Mike Winters for the rest of the 2007 season on Wednesday for his conduct in an incident involving Padres outfielder Milton Bradley.
So he misses what... 3 or 4 regular season games, and no playoffs?
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 06:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

Nope, according to USA Today, he's gone for the playoffs too.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Nope, according to USA Today, he's gone for the playoffs too.
According to GarthB of the baseball forum (whose son is a pro umpire), sources in pro umpiring report that Winters was being groomed to be crew chief. That's probably gone now, which would be a far more significant punishment than missing a few games (reg. season or playoff).
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
According to GarthB of the baseball forum (whose son is a pro umpire), sources in pro umpiring report that Winters was being groomed to be crew chief. That's probably gone now, which would be a far more significant punishment than missing a few games (reg. season or playoff).
Are crew chiefs paid extra? Or is it just a bragging kinda thingy?

Btw, it looks like the Yankees might be playing Cleveland, while the BoSox won the right to take 5 hour flights back and forth from the Left Coast. The other plus for the Yankees is that there's just a few less distractions in Cleveland to take the player's minds off of beisbol. Afaik, the night life in Cleveland is restricted to (1) going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and (2) going down to the river and watching it burn.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 08:09am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
******I think it is hilarious that the guy sending HR #756 baseball to the HOF has marked it with an asterisk. Hope he put a bunch of them on there, because I am sure the HOF will place it asterisk down in the display case. I don't think I would have paid 720Gs for it, though. Not that I have 720Gs.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are crew chiefs paid extra? Or is it just a bragging kinda thingy?

Btw, it looks like the Yankees might be playing Cleveland, while the BoSox won the right to take 5 hour flights back and forth from the Left Coast. The other plus for the Yankees is that there's just a few less distractions in Cleveland to take the player's minds off of beisbol. Afaik, the night life in Cleveland is restricted to (1) going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and (2) going down to the river and watching it burn.
Crew chiefs are paid significantly more -- as much as $100K more than rookies.

As for your knowledge of night life in Cleveland, you've obviously never been to the Flats (and if you think the R&R HOF is night life, you must go to bed at 7 pm).

I don't know who won the season series between Cleveland and Boston - would that decide the top team if they finish the season with the same record?
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
As for your knowledge of night life in Cleveland, you've obviously never been to the Flats
Au contraire, I spent a week there one day.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I've never been much of a baseball fan, until my son started getting interested. Now that I've been to two MLB games in the same season, both Mets, I'm starting to follow a lttle bit. And what happens? The Mets are totally fading! Augh! Losing to Washington?!?! Sheez, it's getting desperate here, and still one game to go against someone dangerous, and then Florida who should be easy to beat, but then so should have Washington been. Fortunately, Mason is the most optimistic little kid you've ever met, and he's "CERTAIN they'll pull it out. But even if they don't, they won both the games we went to! " That's my boy...
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 01:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Fortunately, Mason is the most optimistic little kid you've ever met, and he's "CERTAIN they'll pull it out. But even if they don't, they won both the games we went to! " That's my boy...
Ah...., the purity of youth!