View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
From USA Today---"Red Sox players popped champagne corks in their clubhouse while thousands of fans jumped up and down in nearly empty Fenway Park."
That's an odd quote. It looked like most of the crowd stayed till the end of the the Yanks/O's game. It certainly wasn't "nearly empty". What the (JR's location) happened in the 9th in Baltimore, anyway? Were the Yankees that desperate to avoid flying to Anaheim? And then Giambi can't get it done with the bases loaded in the top of the 10th? And then, you give up a 2-out bases loaded bunt for a hit to lose the game? That's just bizarre. Who would even attempt a bunt with 2 outs and the bases loaded? Was ARod playing on the outfield grass or something?

So the Sox win the AL East for the first time since '95. That's nice and all, but the last 3 times they've won the division, they've been swept in the first round of the playoffs. I don't think that'll happen this year, as they've dominated the Angels, so they shouldn't get swept. One can hope. . .

My wife's favorite part of the night was when the Sox came back out onto the field to celebrate with the fans who stayed. Jonathon Papelbon came out wearing an empty beer box over his head, with eye holes cut out so he could see out of it. I've been trying to find a picture online to post here, but I haven't had any luck. She thought it was hysterical, tho.