The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 02:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Was my partner weird, or was it just me? (OK - that's too easy)

Last night I worked with a guy for the first time. He's a seven year vet. Before the game he told me he didn't like the fact that one of the teams had a player wearing number 13 because every time he calls a lot of fouls on a player wearing that number it brings him (the ref, not the player) "bad luck".

Of course, I thought he was just kidding but he swore he was serious. He said things such as falling down during the game, having a flat tire on the way home and finding his car "keyed" in the parking lot were just a few of the things that have happened to him when he has done this.

Being someone who doesn't believe in this nonsense, it was hard for me even to keep a straight face, but I asked him if these things happened only when he called "a lot of fouls" on a number 13 and never any other time, including when he called "a lot of fouls" on a different number. I also asked him how many fouls is "a lot". He stammered a little and just shrugged his shoulders. I then asked him what happened when both teams had number 13's. If he called a "lot of fouls" on both, did he get "double bad luck" or did it cancel itself out?

Again, he just shrugged. I left it at that, thinking this guy is a nut job and made a mental note to see if it affected how he called the game.

It wasn't a factor because the kid wearing 13 was a sub and only played a few minutes. I did call one foul on him, but that was the only time he deserved one.

BTW - nothing bad happened to me on the way home, but maybe that's because I live only a few minutes from the school.

Anyone ever hear anything even remotely like this before? I'm still thinking about it.

Hey - maybe he can appeal to the NF to get 13 declared an illegal number! I should have suggested that to him.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Last night I worked with a guy for the first time. He's a seven year vet. Before the game he told me he didn't like the fact that one of the teams had a player wearing number 13 because every time he calls a lot of fouls on a player wearing that number it brings him (the ref, not the player) "bad luck".

Of course, I thought he was just kidding but he swore he was serious. He said things such as falling down during the game, having a flat tire on the way home and finding his car "keyed" in the parking lot were just a few of the things that have happened to him when he has done this.

Being someone who doesn't believe in this nonsense, it was hard for me even to keep a straight face, but I asked him if these things happened only when he called "a lot of fouls" on a number 13 and never any other time, including when he called "a lot of fouls" on a different number. I also asked him how many fouls is "a lot". He stammered a little and just shrugged his shoulders. I then asked him what happened when both teams had number 13's. If he called a "lot of fouls" on both, did he get "double bad luck" or did it cancel itself out?

Again, he just shrugged. I left it at that, thinking this guy is a nut job and made a mental note to see if it affected how he called the game.

It wasn't a factor because the kid wearing 13 was a sub and only played a few minutes. I did call one foul on him, but that was the only time he deserved one.

BTW - nothing bad happened to me on the way home, but maybe that's because I live only a few minutes from the school.

Anyone ever hear anything even remotely like this before? I'm still thinking about it.

Hey - maybe he can appeal to the NF to get 13 declared an illegal number! I should have suggested that to him.

Slow news day Mark?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't there a thread just a couple weeks ago looking for rule change suggestions? I think this is a good one for that thread.

Could use the justification that many tall buildings skip from the 12th floor to the 14th floor as well, for superstitious reasons.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 02:47pm
Administrator

Quote:

Mark:

Come on Mark, you know I have been officiating longer that seven years. More like 37 years.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Mark:

Come on Mark, you know I have been officiating longer that seven years. More like 37 years.

MTD, Sr.

He meant dog years.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 03:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Mark:

MTD, Sr.
Are you going to skip your 39th year because it's evenly divisible by 13?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 03:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Are you going to skip your 39th year because it's evenly divisible by 13?
Oddly. There's 3 of 'em.