Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
Girls District Playoff quarterfinal last night. Team A (#10 seed) is beating Team B (#2 seed) all night. 3 minutes left in the 3rd, Team A up 12. Team B is beginning to get frustrated because they're losing to a team that they shouldn't be losing to. I'm T and we have a tie-up in the corner, my side. I run in as I'm calling the jump ball. B1 ends up with the ball and, as I'm running in, A1 gives B1 what I can only describe as an "elbow shove" to the back. B1 turns around with a pissed off look in her face and the ball in her hands, but she was smart and didn't throw the ball at A1 although she looked like she might. I whacked A1. When the coach asked what the T was for, I told him that it was dead ball contact that, 1) had it been live ball, would have been a common foul or very possibly even an intentional, and 2) was unsportsmanlike towards B1.

Thoughts? One of the officials in my association who was at the game last night mentioned that, because it was a playoff game, maybe I should have held off on the T...anyone agree w/ that philosophy?
I would recommend seeing the whole play. Yes the ball is dead but you don't have to be quick on the TECH. You may be able to talk your way out of it. If she throws the ball at the player you have a flagrant technical and she is ejected. If it's a stare down then 50/50 you could have something. If I had stare down I would issue a double technical to send a message, so both can get put into the light. Did you tech B1 for the elbow? If not then I feel A should not have been teched since contact was initiated on her. I would be mad to if some gave me an elbow. But that's me. We all have different judgment and none of us where there. So we can only go with what we are mentally picturing right now. In your case I would not have teched. Please read the situation I had the past year and tell me what you would do.

I had a situation in a JC game this year where the home team comes back from 20 down and loses by 3. Home team wanted time out on an interrupted dribble, the ball is stolen and scored on the other end. I grant the home time out and the coach came running up to me yelling I wanted time out. I gave him options. Let me tell you why I can't grant the time out to you. He was like dont talk to me. He was walking back to his huddle and said F YOU. So I wack him. Some say I'm right some say I should have bit since that possible lost the game for them in a consolation championship. Two DI guys said you gave him options. No matter if they fans can't hear it and it was regarded towards you and you need to draw the line.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 08:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
Did you tech B1 for the elbow? If not then I feel A should not have been teched since contact was initiated on her. I would be mad to if some gave me an elbow. But that's me.
In tmp44's scenario, B1 did not throw an elbow and did not throw the basketball at anybody. You only give Tech's if 2 people do something wrong?
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 09:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21

He was walking back to his huddle and said F YOU. So I wack him. Some say I'm right some say I should have bit since that possible lost the game for them in a consolation championship. Two DI guys said you gave him options. No matter if they fans can't hear it and it was regarded towards you and you need to draw the line.
Some, like me, would say that's a flagrant technical foul.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
In tmp44's scenario, B1 did not throw an elbow and did not throw the basketball at anybody. You only give Tech's if 2 people do something wrong?

Thanks Bro! I miss read the info. LOL