The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Two other things came to mind about the playoffs. First, they switch to 3-whistle, after doing 2 all season. Don't know how this flies with refs that don't usually do 3.

More importantly (I think), they switch to the automatic timing devices (whistle and belt device) for the semis/finals since they are on college courts. It makes for more accurate timing, but would you have difficulty with this switch, especially when it is only implemented for the most important games? I have no opinion, just more curious than anything. Do these types of changes make things better?
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

I'll address the second issue first. Using PT really isn't an issue. if you're unaccustomed to using it, it will take you a quarter to adjust your mechanics, but that's it. Also, the timer is operating the clock just as he normally does. 99% of the time, the whistle will stop the clock so the timer is there in casde the instrument malfunctions. If for some reason, the officials fail to stop the clock, the timer's actions will start it as if PT wasn't being used. So really, PT doesn't create a problem.

Going from 3 man to 2 man is more of an issue. In 2 man, the coverage areas are wider. Officials who normally use 2 man are apt to make more calls out of their area than a crew that is accustomed to 3 man. The mechanics are also different, so there are going to be things that are missed as far as switches and rotations. But most fans wouldn't notice this. IMHO, switching from 2 man to 3 man late in the playoffs is probably NOT a good idea.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

I personally don't have a problem with switching from 2 to 3 whistle for the important games. In a playoff game, it is important to make sure that we've got all angles covered. In my association the people who would do the equivalent to these games all have 3 person training, so i don't feel it would make a difference, in fact, i think it would be a good oppertunity, as instead of only 2 refs working a playoff game, a third now has this oppertunity.

I am also in favour of the precision timing system. Although i have yet to ref with it, i feel that it could solve some problems that may occur with timers. But at that level you usually have the best so it shouldn't matter. Also, the rulebook states that if you are going to use a PTS system the refs better be trained, and that is my only concern, you need 3 guys who have all used the system before.

That's my 2 cents.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I personally don't have a problem with switching from 2 to 3 whistle for the important games. In a playoff game, it is important to make sure that we've got all angles covered. In my association the people who would do the equivalent to these games all have 3 person training, so i don't feel it would make a difference,...
That's not the case everywhere. Many times, the officials are NOT experienced with 3 man.

Quote:
Also, the rulebook states that if you are going to use a PTS system the refs better be trained...
Where does the rulebook say this?
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Quote:
Also, the rulebook states that if you are going to use a PTS system the refs better be trained...

It's on page 84 of the casebook, Tony. Under the heading state association adoptions it is the first play. 7 situation A.
It says that the timing device shall not be used unless the state association has approved its use and the game officials have been properly instructed/trained on how to use the equipment.

I personally don't care that much about the PT device. I have never used it, but I think I could learn to use it in about 5 minutes in the hallway and I might even blow the whistle in the pregame warmup a couple of times just to test it.

The switch from 2 to 3 is more serious for me. I am totally against it. If you use 2 all year long, you should use 2 in the post-season. If you use 3 all year, then use 3 in the playoffs. I do believe that it has an effect. I also don't want to see associations bring in guys that work 4 or 5 HS games while working college games all season to do the playoff games on the pretense that they have the 3 whistle training and the guys who did the HS games all season don't. JMHO
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Quote:

It's on page 84 of the casebook, Tony. Under the heading state association adoptions it is the first play. 7 situation A.
It says that the timing device shall not be used unless the state association has approved its use and the game officials have been properly instructed/trained on how to use the equipment.
AH! So it's NOT in the rulebook!