The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

My impression is that OS tries to foist these gems on us and to reel in a few by prefacing them with "a wise man once said."

Of course, Old School didn't know that the wise man prefaced his remark with: "Don't ever think that..."
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 09:51am
Courageous When Prudent

I think it would be best not to address Old School directly. If he says something about officiating basketball worthy of a reply just "quote" that portion of his post, delete his name from "quote=" and debate the merits of what the specific quote says.

Old School is obviously the alter-ego of one of our regular forum members. Maybe he's working on a thesis for his doctorate on human behavior and how humans respond to blatant idiocy.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 09:55am.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Old School is obviously the alter-ego of one of our regular forum members. Maybe he's working on a thesis for his doctorate on human behavior and how humans respond to blatant idiocy.
Uh oh. Has anyone heard if Chuck is working on such a thesis? Maybe that's the real reason Chuck left?

Chuck, how could you?!?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Who said this? What "wise man" would spout such completely inanity?
What is inanity?

Quote:
You would rather ALWAYS be bad, than to be MOSTLY very good with a couple of bad moments? Really? That's the stupidest thing I've read in this forum in a long long time. Can we pull this idiot's account?
It was a basketball quote you moron. Relating this to basketball, it is better as an official to be consistently bad then to be inconsistent. In other words, if you consistently call the game the same way, that is, a no-call for a foul on one end is a no-call for a foul on the other end. You are better to officiate the game that way than to call a foul at one end, and not call the same type of foul on the other end.

I figure that quote would go over your heads. Debate me if you choose, ignore me if you must, but don't hate me because I'm good.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
What is inanity?
According to dictionary.com:

in·an·i·ty /ɪˈnænɪti/ –noun, plural -ties for 2.
1. lack of sense, significance, or ideas; silliness.
2. something inane.
3. shallowness; superficiality.

Quote:
My grandmother once told me, if you got nothing good to say, then don't say nothing at all. You should consider my grandmothers thoughts. What my grandmother really meant was it is best to remain silent and not create an enemy.
Quote:
It was a basketball quote you moron.
Maybe you should be following your own grandmother's advice.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is inanity?
You don't own a dictionary either?

Seriously -- your postings, in general, do not comply with the tone that we want on this board. I've tried to go easy on you, and delete some posts (or parts thereof) from certain members who also crossed the line. I hoped that you would learn. If you want to stay, please change.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 11:12am.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
What is inanity?
Somewhere, there's a village that is missing its idiot. . .
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
You don't own a dictionary either?

Seriously -- your postings, in general, do not comply with the tone that we want on this board. I've tried to go easy on you, and delete some posts (or parts thereof) from certain members who also crossed the line. I hoped that you would learn. If you want to stay, please change.
Bob, if you want to kick me out because I never heard the word inanity before. That is fine. I offer no excuse accept to say if you get smart with me, expect the same in return. If you treat me with respect, I will be respectful, but that is not this forum. The arrogance on this forum is insulting. If you can't take it in return, than don't dish it out. Remember the saying, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob, if you want to kick me out because I never heard the word inanity before. That is fine. I offer no excuse accept to say if you get smart with me, expect the same in return. If you treat me with respect, I will be respectful, but that is not this forum. The arrogance on this forum is insulting. If you can't take it in return, than don't dish it out. Remember the saying, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Peace
How about respecting the forum by telling us all when and where you officiated and at what level? You constantly avoid that question. You earn respect - you don't get it automatically.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Wow, Smitty, I'm impressed!! We all work for seven pages, and two weeks, and you get it out of him in just a few well chosen words. You are truly a,

let's see, what is it JR? Person of great wisdom? Yankees fan? How does that go?

(insert gif of cute little grovellers bowing to a great leader)
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I officiated this sport for almost ten years before I ever open a book on the rules.
This tells me a lot.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. I can't imagine presuming to officiate a sport without previously working hard to know the rules and receiving some training in proper mechanics.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 05:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I now work some light duty college and high school contests.
What is "light duty" college and high school?

1) Are you working regularly scheduled conference college games at the D1, D2, D3, NAIA or JC level?
2) Are you working regularly scheduled conference boys/girls varsity high school games?

Or are you working rec league games with high school and college age players?

And, do you own the proper rule books, case books and manuals for those levels?

You didn't answer all the questions.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I agree. I can't imagine presuming to officiate a sport without previously working hard to know the rules and receiving some training in proper mechanics.
I approached this from a players prospective. I coach the game for many years before I went into officiating. Most of the places I officiated, they just wanted a warm body. Think about it. Guys like you that know the rules are not going to want to do this lower level stuff, which creates a need that at the time I was happy to fulfill.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I approached this from a players prospective. I coach the game for many years before I went into officiating. Most of the places I officiated, they just wanted a warm body. Think about it. Guys like you that know the rules are not going to want to do this lower level stuff, which creates a need that at the time I was happy to fulfill.
So then when you said you were an assignor, that was a lie?