The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Must have been something on TV he wanted to watch that night.

Back to the OP, I've said this before and I'll probably say it again. Coaches are like kids.
I like to think of coaches as big, stupid young dogs.

If you don't show them who's boss they'll think they are. And then you're in trouble.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
Hmmmmmm, let me think....my game was 20 point spread, the coach losing WANTED the "T". This game, 2 points. That's the difference.

This coach was warned. But still did what he wanted to do. What would happen if the other coach got up off the bench? what if they came out of their boxes? What's the penalty?

I understand " Let the kids decide" but this coach disobeyed his warning. Yeah, Let the kids decide, but the coach broke the rule. It's unfair to the team following the rules to allow the other team not to follow the rule. You put them at a disadvange.
I understand what you are saying, but the point spread should have absolutely no bearing on whether the coach gets the T or not. If he deserves it (and the coach in your post earlier did deserve it), he should have gotten it. Otherwise, IMHO, the officials in the next set of games have to take care of what wasn't taken care of earlier.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
tough one -- he was coaching -- i might have let this go as it is 10 seconds left and grated hes not standing to show pleasure for an outstanding play -- its 10 seconds of a lot of instruction depending on the level. but you did warn him -- judgement here and I would not call the T from what you describe.

now if he was an azz the whole game then no way -- but he probably would have gotten a T earlier and been ejected anyway because of the 3 T's he would have earned no?
Sigh.

Here's our friend deecee again showing his youth and lack of backbone. Despite numerous, direct statements from the NFHS, he still thinks that he knows better than all those other people on how to handle the coaching box situations. If you wish to continue to do it your own way, do us all a favor, keep it to yourself, and please stop answering any questions to do with the coaching box. You simply don't do it the right way according to the NFHS.

2005-06 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. Sporting Behavior.

D. Coaching box: The committee wants coaches to stay in the coaching box. There is a constant problem when coaches wander. It is a distinct advantage to the coach who is permitted to be out of the box because the coach has a better chance to communicate with his/her team. The coach can also influence play by being out on the court.
The rule is black-and-white, but it has not been dealt with properly. Most officials have not enforced the rule. The fact that the coach is not directing comments to the officials or is "coaching the team" has no bearing on rule enforcement. The coach who continually abuses the coaching-box rule risks having his or her governing body remove it completely. The official who doesn't enforce it runs the risk of not following what the governing body wants enforced.
Once the coaching box has been removed because of a technical foul, all related rules restrictions must apply. There's no way to get the box back after the privilege has been lost.
Assistant coaches must be seated at all times except during time-outs, to attend to an injured player after being beckoned and to spontaneously react to a play. The rules that permit a head coach to rise in certain situations (time-outs, confer with table personnel for a correctable error, dealing with disqualifications) do not apply to assistant coaches under any circumstances. Again, the fact that an assistant coach is "only coaching" has no bearing on the rule or enforcement.
Head coaches have the responsibility to remain in the box. School administrators must support that by demanding their coaches do so. When violated, the official must enforce the rule with a technical foul.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

thanks nevada for pointing out what the Assistant coach can and cannot do -- which has as much bearing to this question regarding the HC as mudflaps have at a basketball game -- but good catch though very nice.

I would say that the HC standing in these last 10 seconds are an indirect result of an outstanding play -- once the buzzer sounds he can sit back down if he wants -- but 10 seconds go by in a hurry. common sense here 10 seconds for a last shot -- from what was described i am not calling the T -- thats me you can go ahead and call it you are supported by the rules but thanks for pointing out again what the assistants can and cant do. very enlightning.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 12:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I would never tell anyone to cheat, shame on you for suggesting such a thing on a referee board.
And yet you did tell the OP'er to cheat...that comment you made about not calling the foul in the last ten seconds and then adding the little wink icon - that's telling that official NOT to do his job and to cheat to prove a point to the coach who was standing...that's crap. It's crap advice, and it's a crap way to do your job...so there is no shame on me for pointing out that you are full of crap.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 12:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
And yet you did tell the OP'er to cheat...that comment you made about not calling the foul in the last ten seconds and then adding the little wink icon - that's telling that official NOT to do his job and to cheat to prove a point to the coach who was standing...that's crap. It's crap advice, and it's a crap way to do your job...so there is no shame on me for pointing out that you are full of crap.
You can view it as crap all you want. I'm just being real. If the coach wants to argue that I missed a foul, late in the game that could have helped his team win the game. Then he needs to answer first, why is he standing up after recieving a technical and being warmed not too! Your shame is ignoring reality and ignoring the fact that people are people first.

A wise man once said; when you fail to heed a warning, then you shall suffer the consequences. Those consequences could be a technical late in the game, which the OP said he did, or those consequences could come from somewhere else. Like, all of a sudden, your kid got the ball, my eyes are waterly, can't see clear, did something just happen?, or, his player may go in to shoot and beep!, no shot!, TRAVELING....!!!!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 01:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

A wise man once said; when you fail to heed a warning, then you shall suffer the consequences. Those consequences could be a technical late in the game, which the OP said he did, or those consequences could come from somewhere else. Like, all of a sudden, your kid got the ball, my eyes are waterly, can't see clear, did something just happen?, or, his player may go in to shoot and beep!, no shot!, TRAVELING....!!!!
Well, that reinforces what Rocky had to say. You get even by either ignoring a foul or calling a phantom violation.

Pure, unadulterated crap.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've decided this guy is from some parallel universe where honor and integrity don't exist. Where referees all act like some evil judge and jury and issue capricious rulings.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 01:44pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I've said it before, and I know that not everybody agrees with me, but his account should be pulled immediately. He never posts anything of any value at all. All he does is force people to respond by correcting his obvious load of horse crap.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A wise man once said; when you fail to heed a warning, then you shall suffer the consequences.

You and your wise men. Turns out your last wise man was Hellen Keller. I wonder who this one is?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbioteach
Coach A after being warned 2x to be seated after receiving indirect T, is given T by me with 10 seconds left for standing and coaching while A has the ball down by 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The fact that the coach is not directing comments to the officials or is "coaching the team" has no bearing on rule enforcement.
...Once the coaching box has been removed because of a technical foul, all related rules restrictions must apply. There's no way to get the box back after the privilege has been lost.
Obviously, you missed those parts even though I put them in bold for you.

The assistant coach sentences are in a different color and do apply because the OP also involves assistant coaches.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 09:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
why is he standing up ... and being warmed not too!

Is this where the term "hot seat" comes from?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 12:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
You and your wise men. Turns out your last wise man was Hellen Keller. I wonder who this one is?
I figured by now you would have figured it out. But I'm going to give you a little help, especially since you love to give me so much advice. The wise man in my messages is me.....
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I figured by now you would have figured it out. But I'm going to give you a little help, especially since you love to give me so much advice. The wise man in my messages is me.....
Funny, that's the same thing JMO used to say on McGriffs board.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 01:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, that reinforces what Rocky had to say. You get even by either ignoring a foul or calling a phantom violation.

Pure, unadulterated crap.
JR, phantom violations, where did you get that from? I don't have to make sh!t up. My point is this. There are consequences. As long as you live there will be consequences to your negative actions. Just like you berating me in front of all the others on this forum. There are consequences to that. Here's one of them. I'm going to tell it like it is, because we know we're not going to get the truth from you. The truth is, we pass on violations and calls all the time. Look at the NBA, depending on who you are (Dwayne Wade), traveling doesn't apply to you. If I'm working a HS game and it's a good game, I'm not going to nitpick the travels or the palming of the ball, unless it's just blatant and your grandmother could see it in the upper decks. However, if a coach refuses to heed my warnings, I might get a little bit more nitpicky with the calls.

Oh, and one more thing, it's not a phantom violation if I call it. It's not a made up violation if I call it. It's a violation and the ball going the other way, no matter what you or the coach thinks about it. And in case your pea ball size brain doesn't get it, I'm judge, jury and executioner on the court. I get the last word. And sure, you can say because of my actions I won't work in your association or whatever anymore. That's fine, but in this game today, I'm the king on the hill and I decide what going to be a violation or not.

A wise man once said; be not to vindictive of people you don't know, as there are consequences to everything you do.