Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
Hang on there a second Terps Fan. Weren't you the one last week who posted about a coach "begging for a T", but you wouldn't give him one. If you wouldn't do it then, why do it now? Not criticizing, just curious.
Yeah, that's the same guy.

Are Coaches Crazy?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Just when I start thinking that maybe Old Azz might have something going on upstairs after all, he comes out and tells someone to go ahead and cheat and adds a little wink like that would be really, really funny...

I don't have a problem with ignoring the coach for the last 10 seconds, but hbio, don't ever follow that last piece of crap advice...
The OP admitted it was a bad game. He had already called about 6 technicals in the game. It didn't appear that the coaches was doing their part very well either to help makes things better. Nope, I told him he couldn't stand, he stood up anyway. That's not smart coaching. You demand the best out of me, how about you do your part. I would never tell anyone to cheat, shame on you for suggesting such a thing on a referee board. However, my judgment might be persuaded one way or the other depending on the circumstances. For example; if I got a real good game, I might call that marginal foul a foul, team/players earned it, however, under the same token, I'm at the end of a game that has gone bad, a marginal foul might not get called at all, it's my judgment. Game! Next! or go home.

Consider this if you will, you want me to call a 2-shot foul in a 2-point game with 10 seconds left that could potentially tie the game and send it to overtime, in a game that's gone bad! You think about that! We got coaches that don't respect your authority, players that are undiscipline. Survival skills young man, survival of the fittest and something they won't tell you out here but I will be honest with you, survival is really for the smartest. And last, I will preference this with, if I'm making $1200 per official for the game, we're playing it out and I'm ignoring the coach in the last 10 seconds. On the other hand, if I'm making $20 for the game, game over! Survival skills....
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you wouldn't do it then, why do it now? Not criticizing, just curious.
Hmmmmmm, let me think....my game was 20 point spread, the coach losing WANTED the "T". This game, 2 points. That's the difference.

This coach was warned. But still did what he wanted to do. What would happen if the other coach got up off the bench? what if they came out of their boxes? What's the penalty?

I understand " Let the kids decide" but this coach disobeyed his warning. Yeah, Let the kids decide, but the coach broke the rule. It's unfair to the team following the rules to allow the other team not to follow the rule. You put them at a disadvange.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
Hmmmmmm, let me think....my game was 20 point spread, the coach losing WANTED the "T". This game, 2 points. That's the difference.

This coach was warned. But still did what he wanted to do. What would happen if the other coach got up off the bench? what if they came out of their boxes? What's the penalty?

I understand " Let the kids decide" but this coach disobeyed his warning. Yeah, Let the kids decide, but the coach broke the rule. It's unfair to the team following the rules to allow the other team not to follow the rule. You put them at a disadvange.
Thanks for clearing that up.

So the coach who was publicly ripping you a new one was following the rules?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 10:07am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Consider this if you will, you want me to call a 2-shot foul in a 2-point game with 10 seconds left that could potentially tie the game and send it to overtime, in a game that's gone bad!
If the foul is deserved it should be called.

"marginal" - How does this word even come in to an Officials vocabulary? Thats like telling someone they are marginally pregnant IMO.

I was giving you benefit of doubt OS for some of your posts marginally had common sense littered in them. I can now see through the fog and its not a pretty sight.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 10:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
If the foul is deserved it should be called.

"marginal" - How does this word even come in to an Officials vocabulary? Thats like telling someone they are marginally pregnant IMO.

I was giving you benefit of doubt OS for some of your posts marginally had common sense littered in them. I can now see through the fog and its not a pretty sight.
Marginal is valid in officiating, IMO. We make judgment calls all the time, I didn't think that was a foul, it was marginal, could have been, one official might say yes, another might say no. Margin of error, margin of degree of contact, margin of degree of difficulty, you got no chance of making that shot, therefore, I'm not bailing you out with a foul.

Come on, marginally pregnant, you're out there! I can now see thru the fog too, and that's a dumbazz comparison to me. Go eat some more smoke, it might help with the fog in your life.

Last edited by Old School; Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 01:15pm.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFHusker
As I'm heading to administer the FT after reporting the foul, a team member from B asked "why didn't you call those when it f&$#ing mattered?" Wack. B's varsity coach was behind the table, I don't think he heard what was said, says that's a rookie call in a game like that.
If he wants varsity calls, his players need to play a varsity game!
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

it's 20 points verses 2 point.....
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 11:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That's not a very convincing argument.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some kinda mercy rule?

Down by 20 and you get to verbally beat the sh1t out of the officials?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

If ya give a warning - ya gotta follow it with a T when he is in noncompliance with the rules. If you don't you are in deeeeeeeeep doo the next time(s) you have him.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Some kinda mercy rule?

Down by 20 and you get to verbally beat the sh1t out of the officials?
Hell no, and not when you're up by 20 either. I wacked a coach who had a 20 point lead with 36 seconds left this weekend.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 02:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

My only ejection of a coach in my career came with his team up by 40 points.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
My only ejection of a coach in my career came with his team up by 40 points.
Must have been something on TV he wanted to watch that night.

Back to the OP, I've said this before and I'll probably say it again. Coaches are like kids. They need one warning, that's it. Because if you give them more than one warning, they push it. What did you say, "Coach, I'm warning you. . .if you stand up I may have to warn you again!" Probably not. No matter what the violation, no matter what the situation, if I have to give a warning for it, then the consequence comes the very next time. Otherwise you have no credibility. If you give more than one warning, they expect warnings to keep coming, and then rightfully get angry with you when you finally give the consequence. If you warned him once, he has nobody to blame but himself when he does it again.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully you didn't get writer's cramp filling out all the game reports.