The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

this play was observed in the ORCC tournament

Play, Team A scores a basket to close the gap to, Team B (80) and Team A (78) with 2.1 seconds left on the game clock.

Team B, B -1 runs the endline after the scored basket while there is pressure from Team A, B - 1 throws an entry pass to his team mate B - 2 who goes air borne, catches the ball gains control and immediately goes to the floor.

Lead official blow whistle and calls a travel!

The game clock shows 0.1 of a second left!

Team is granted the ball via the violation, A - 1 designated spot throws the ball into the playing court to A -2 who is cutting down the lane opposite side, as the ball reaches the air borne A -2 his is bumped just as the buzzer sounds.

How would you rule on the play as an official on the court, please do not give me a rule book answers.

You do not have the aide of a monitor!

Did it take a full (2) second for the play to complete?

Would you put time on the clock or would you leave it as it is?

If you put time back on the clock, how much?

If you did not, then how would you rule on the entry pass and contact against A -2?

What if anything was missed?

Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 08:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick82358
please do not give me a rule book answers.

You got it.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 08:39am
MABO Member

Without being there and seeing the play develop, there is no way anyone can give you any answers other than what is stated in the rule book.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Okay give a rule book answer and then comment on how you would have actually handled it!

Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 08:47am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
this play was observed in the ORCC tournament

Play, Team A scores a basket to close the gap to, Team B (80) and Team A (78) with 2.1 seconds left on the game clock.

Team B, B -1 runs the endline after the scored basket while there is pressure from Team A, B - 1 throws an entry pass to his team mate B - 2 who goes air borne, catches the ball gains control and immediately goes to the floor.

Lead official blow whistle and calls a travel!

The game clock shows 0.1 of a second left!

Team is granted the ball via the violation, A - 1 designated spot throws the ball into the playing court to A -2 who is cutting down the lane opposite side, as the ball reaches the air borne A -2 his is bumped just as the buzzer sounds.

How would you rule on the play as an official on the court, please do not give me a rule book answers.

You do not have the aide of a monitor!

If you did not, then how would you rule on the entry pass and contact against A -2?

It seems as though travel was th incorrect call. However, yo can't go back and nullify that call.

The official has to rule what happened first, first touching of the ball inbounds, or a foul.

Foul happened first: admin the foul with 0.1s on the clock. Play continues with either an A throw-in nearest the foul (non-bonus situation) or with a bonus situation if in the bonus.

Inbounds touching first: game over unless it was deemed that the foul was during the period of time where A2 was touching the ball and his touching was the first after the throw-in.

My $0.02
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Why did Team B inbound the ball?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

good question Chuck - I assumed this sitch was a high school contest, so I was wondering why Team B would attempt to inbound the ball
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:06am
MABO Member

In the association I work the clock stops after made baskets in the last minute of the game or OT period. Therefore it would require an inbound pass to start the clock again.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
In the association I work the clock stops after made baskets in the last minute of the game or OT period. Therefore it would require an inbound pass to start the clock again.
Ok, but then why did it take 2 whole seconds for the kid to catch the ball and hit the floor?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:09am
MABO Member

There in is the delema I am in. Should time have been put back on the clock? Unless the Official delayed the Whistle on the violation. ( Only way I can see the time ticking off)

Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Why did Team B inbound the ball?
I'm assuming the throw in took place because the clock stopped at 2.1 after a made basket and that the ORCC is some kind of a community college tournament that plays by college rules. Otherwise, you're right Chuck that a throw in would make no sense.

I don't see any error, in the description, for making a travel call. Put time on the clock? Well, I guess you'd have to see the whole thing take place. If the player went up, touched the ball, then landed, then went down, then the whistle blew, then the timer had a normal lag time to stop the clock, I can certainly see that taking 2 seconds. I don't think I put any time on the clock here.

As for the foul-at-the-buzzer situation, I think I largely agree with what JugglingReferee said: basically, which happened first. Just remember that if the offensive player catches that ball, you cannot have a "shooting foul." FTs only if bonus.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:34am
In Memoriam

The ORCC is a small-college league in Ohio, iirc, at about the D3 level. I would imagine that they use NCAA rules.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Probably not. I think jumpig 4' and returning takes about .5 seconds (my physics is too rusty to check exactly).

Quote:

I'd probably let 1 second go off. But, if I wasn't certain of the time, I'd have to go by the timer.

Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Probably not. I think jumpig 4' and returning takes about .5 seconds (my physics is too rusty to check exactly).

Quote:
I think it's unlikely that A1 made the full round trip 4' up & back down with the ball, that in itself would be a travel.
Quote:

I'd probably let 1 second go off. But, if I wasn't certain of the time, I'd have to go by the timer.

Yeah, I think unless there was some unusual circumstance I wouldn't want the clock to stay at .1 seconds in this play.

A second sounds good.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. You appear to be suggesting that the clock started 'too early'. One would have to see the play. I believe that, if the Ref has definite knowledge ("I was counting"), he may correct an obvious timing error in this situation.

2. The 'entry pass contact' issue was recently discussed at length in another thread on this forum. Apparently, under NCAA rules, there cannot be a common foul with 3 tenths of a second or less, but under FED rules - it could be a common foul, and, were the foulee's team in the bonus, s/he would shoot.

[Edited by assignmentmaker on Mar 2nd, 2006 at 11:54 AM]