The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

A bad situation for coaches.

Guys I hope I can explain this so everyone will understand
1) Floyd County High School, Single A school.
2) Girls V coach (Alan use to coach both VG and VB before seasons seperated.)
3)Alan has a son (Travis) that played for him when he was in high school and now is his assistance on the VG team.
4)The VB coach Brian also played for Alan in high school.He is also a former assistance to Alan
5)Travis has a 3 year old son(Joshua).
6)Brian has a 4) year old son (Chance).

Both of the boys(3-4yr old) have been diagnosed with a very rare type of tumors on there brains less the 2 weeks apart in Dec. The doctors was able to remove 90-95% of Joshua's tumor.The doctors was able to remove 50% of the larger of 2 of Chances tumors. Both kids will be at Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center in N.C for radition treatments.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

I don't fully understand the relationships between all the people involved, but cancer is always a scary story and made sadder by the timing around the holidays. I wish the best for the two kids.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

UPDATE: Joshua

Earlier this evening Joshua Cantrell went to be with the Lord. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Cantrell families. Joshua's dad, Travis is the assistant coach with his father Alan as the head coach for the Floyd County girls varsity basketball team. They are currently heavily favored for the Virginia State Group A Championship. The other little boy with cancer is Head Coach for the VB team ,Brian Harmon's son. He seems to be doing better and even got to come home for the weekend but has returned to Duke Medical Center. You can find more information at www.samefight.org
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 08:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I don't fully understand the relationships between all the people involved, but cancer is always a scary story and made sadder by the timing around the holidays. I wish the best for the two kids.
Amen.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

SWVAREF daughter

My daughter who is 12 has had problems with her right knee for about 2 months. She does competitive gymnastics and she practices for 5 days a week 12 months out of the year. She has been doing therapy for about 2 weeks , well last week on Tuesday she had an accident at school. We took her back to her doctor, they did several test, Friday the doctor scheduled an MRI, that showed gray areas on her femur. The doctor is telling us she has a tumor on her knee ( instead of where the swelling is) and where the gray area on her femur is possibly some type of cancer. Monday she is scheduled to have a CT Scan on her upper body to make sure there is no cancer there.Tuesday she is scheduled to have a Bone Denisity test, this is where the doctors withdraw her blood out, put radition in then inject both back into her body then scan her and see if she has anymore of those gray areas on any other bones.
Guys this of course is going to be a tough time for us her sister who is 9 also knows what is going on. If things are as bad as they are thinking, the doctors are talking radition chemo and possibly death.
We will know more tomorrow and Tuesday.
I am asking you guys to pray for my little girl and get as many people to put her on there prayer chain, right know that is all we have. Her name is Kassidy and the problem is on her right knee. Thank you guys I know this board is visited by alot of belivers and we officials as competive as we are about our jobs, we still are family. Feel free to give out my Email if you think it is necessary [email protected].
Thanks for listening and your prayers ,we will never see each other or meet but for Kassidy to know that people are praying for her will give her hope . Respond to this so she can read it if you like or send an e-mail and she can read it to.
Thanks again!!
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 02:59pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Very sorry to hear that. Your whole family will be in my thoughts.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

While I know its easy for me to say this, the first thing to keep in mind is to not panic. Chances are pretty decent its benign. Even if malignant, sounds like a form of primary bone cancer, with very high survival rates -- especially among children that age. Cancer treatment is getting better each day.

With that said, however, prayers will go out from here.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Will do!!!

Kassidy will be in our prayers!
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
SWVAREF -- Of course I'll be praying for you, Kassidy and your whole family. I also want to encourage you to pray not only for a miracle healing, but also for comfort and peace through all the things that could happen if a miracle isn't forthcoming. We know that God doesn't always give miraculous healing, but He is always, always glad to be there to listen, hold, comfort, and carry.

I've got some experience dealing with medical issues in my children, as well as other difficult life circumstances, and God has been with me through it all. If you'd like some theological or spiritual advice and encouragement, I hope you'll PM me, and I'll be glad to share what I've learned.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Even I'll send one up for little Kasskidy, before Bob can log in and tell us all we can't discuss prayer on this site.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

She will remain in our prayers as long as necessary and I pray for you to have strength through this time.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 06:44pm
Esteemed Participant

Kassidy and your enire family will be in my prayers also!
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:27pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
SWVAREF - Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Kassidy, and your entire family.

As a father of several athletes myself who have weathered their share of serious injuries and illness; keep thinking positive thoughts, listen to your doctors, and never letem get you down!. You and Kassidy can beat it!!

Continued Best wishes,
Rob
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Prayers for wisdom, that the doctors accurately diagnose the problem and a prayer for you and your wife that if there are alternative treatments [don't assume Modern Medicine is the only alternative], then you will be made aware of them. This is a good time for research on your part - you might go to a local medical school library, explain your situation to the librarian and ask for guidance about how you can research your daughter's symptoms and possible treatments - you could surprise yourself by what you are able to learn and will feel less like a victim along for the ride.

In the meantime, help Kassidy develop the non-athletic gifts that God has given her! I spent two years of HS on crutches and in a brace due to a degenerative bone disease and it paid off in poetry, art and piano!! She will have plenty of "waiting time" in the coming months for her to trace through mazes, working logic problems, compose some music of her own... lots of possibilities and she no doubt will discover a talent she wishes to pursue with as much dedication as she applied to gymnastics. God has a Plan.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
As the father of two teenage daughters my heart breaks for you and your family. Please know that I will pray for you and your family. For wisdom for the doctors as well as you and your wife. For strength for the entire family, especially Kassidy - and that God will prove Himself real to your family at this time.

Kassidy, we all care about kids of all ages or we wouldn't be referees - that having been said, we are ALL pulling for you and wish you the best!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.