The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

NFHS: How much latitude do you give the coaches on being outside of the coaches area? Is it a judgement as to when they come on and how far? I usually work U so haven't had to deal directly with the sideline for awhile, now I've moved to LJ and looking for some guidance on how people control their sideline. Thanks.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Here in MO, we've been told to be very strict with sideline control. It has been a point of emphasis from the NFHS and the state for the last few years.

It all starts with a good pregame introduction with the get-back coach and the head coach.

My pregame goes something like this:
"Coach XXXXXX, I'm (insert your name here) and I will be working on your sidelines tonight. Just wanted to let you know that a point of emphasis this year by both the state and the Federation is sideline control. Our crew likes the sidelines clear and we go by the guidelines set in the rulebook. All players and other personnel need to be at least 2 yards back from the sidelines. At any given time, only three coaches can be in the coaches box. I will give you guys a few warnings if this becomes an issue but I don't foresee this as being a problem....

I provide numerous warnings throughout the evening. Each time I come up the sidelines for a kickoff I am usually reminding them to get back. If coaches are on the sidelines, I usually say, "Coach, give me a step off the sidelines please. I don't want to run you over." If the players are up and the coaches don't have their two yards, I say, "Players, back up so your coaches can stay in their coaching box."

The linesman on our crew uses this phrase, "Coach, the sideline is like an electric fence. You cross it, I zap you." Gets the point across.

If it gets out of hand, reminding them all the time, coming onto the field or just not cooperating, give them the warning. (Check with your association or state- some states say flag the warning, some states say not to) That gets the message across that you're not here to mess around.

Our area is pretty good about this because we have been on top of it for so long. If you have any other questions, email me.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

My "latitude" goes down as the level of play goes up.

Lower level games when the coaches are actually "coaching" their players I can live with as long as the players are in the team box.

Some coaches will actually get out to the numbers then I walk them back with a warning. If they are chirping at me about calls and non-calls, the leeway decreases drastically.

My best story was missing an OOB call when working a V game. I warned the coaches multiple times about being on the field. 3 coaches were stepping onto the field about a half yard or so and I would have to go around them.

Finally a long pass to my SL and all I saw was A and B running full stride, side by side, ball was in the air and my BJ was heading that way at full bore when the three B coaches all stepped out onto the field together to "see the play".

As A caught the ball I lost sight of him because of the B coaches being on the field "looking", who then all started screaming in unison, "HE STEPPED OUT!!! HE STEPPED OUT!!!!" waving their clipboards for effect.

A then runs in for a TD and I started taking some serious heat from them when I said, "If it happened coach I didn't see it. All three of you were on the field blocking my view. I've asked you to stay in the team box, sorry guys. I'm not calling what I don't see."

Rest of the game went fine.

WM
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

I most always work HL, working with the chains, this is tough but be consistent. Make sure your mirror patner is on the same page.

When I work WH, I always mention at the coin toss that the coaches need to stay in the box or it will be penalized. That normally helps, but the flag works better!