The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 10:45am
Jerry Blum

Angry

This situation has now happened twice in two seperate games, both Girls Varsity tourney games. First game a couple of weeks ago, the first half went fine both teams playing well without a lot of fouls. Second half they both come out and are pressing all over the floor. Early in the 4th quarter I am lead and there is a loss ball that White picks up and then black in going for the ball falls on white knocking her down and forcing her to bump her head on the a knee or the floor not sure which. I call the foul and the coach starts out on to the floor almost immediately to check on his girl, while on his way out he starts saying something like I was wondering when this was going to happen basically saying that we weren't calling the game close enough and had let it get out of hand. Interesting part about that statement was that we were already in the double bonus for at least one team with the other one or two fouls behind. I had already given the coach the stop sign and told him I had had enough prior to this incident, however I didn't feel that I should have T'd him up because he needed to check on his girl.

Now the 2nd situation was last night, black team getting blown out by about 20 early 4th quarter again. A loss ball gets bounced high up in the air and one player from black and white jump up after it. When they are coming down white happened to jump higher but they both had their hands on the ball when they came down. Since white jumped higher black came down first out of bounds so I blew my whistle and gave white the ball. Well in coming down the black's girl inured her shoulder. The coach from black had been whining basically nonstop the entire game but nothing really loud or bad. In this case I had to call the coach onto the floor to check out his girl. As he was getting to her he turns to me and says something like "I hate to say this but your officiating caused this and it should have been a foul" and then he starts checking out his girl still mumbling something. When he got the first sentence out I had heard enough and told him to check on his girl and that was it. When he started mumbling as he turned away from me to check his girl I was upset that he had kept complaining like that and was about half a second from giving him a T. However, my partner had arrived just before I was going to T him and told me to walk away towards half court as this was occuring on the base line.

My main question is how would anyone on this board have handled these situations? Do you treat it the same as if the coach were doing this during a live or dead ball without the inury or would you treat it differently because of the injury?

Sorry for the long post but this really got me upset last night and I needed to vent, Thanks.

Jerry
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
My advice is for you to get as far away as possible from the injured player once you beckon the coach onto the floor.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 10:58am
Esteemed Participant

A good rule of thumb is that anytime you beckon a coach onto the court to attend an injured player - get away from that player...do not give the coach the opportunity to make those kinds of comments to you because you are still close to the player...by the time the coach got out there, I would already be standing at half-court with my partner - probably with my back to the coach so he/she doesn't have the chance to make those quiet comments...and dang it - Dan beat me...
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

In the first situations, the first thing to remember is that the coach *technically* shouldn't be out on the court without being beckoned. (Of course, as long as he's just checking on his player, I'm willing to go Chuck's route on no one seeing the beckoning signal.)

Being beckoned or not being beckoned, however, does not give the coach permission to yell at you or make comments you normally wouldn't take from him. That said, I would give the coach a tiny bit more rope on his leash - still your call as to how much you give him.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
This situation has now happened twice in two seperate games ...
Jerry,
I obviously haven't seen you officiate, but for what it's worth:
  • We get into more problems not calling fouls than calling phantom fouls. ( For me, I still like to see 'em instead of guess 'em.)
  • Rethink the "Let 'em play scenario".
  • If you have to call 40 fouls, do it.
    mick
    Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:06am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    Dan's back!! Dan's back!! Yea!!!

Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:07am
    In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
    Originally posted by Dan_ref
    My advice is for you to get as far away as possible from the injured player once you beckon the coach onto the floor.
    Sparky,
    Yer back!
    Cool!
    mick
    Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:10am
    Official Forum Member

I agree with dan, you need to get away from this situation as quickly as possible, don't let the coach get those "under his breath" comments in.
    Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:12am
    Jerry Blum

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    Quote:
    This situation has now happened twice in two seperate games ...
    Jerry,
    I obviously haven't seen you officiate, but for what it's worth:
  • We get into more problems not calling fouls than calling phantom fouls. ( For me, I still like to see 'em instead of guess 'em.)
  • Rethink the "Let 'em play scenario".
  • If you have to call 40 fouls, do it.
    mick

• Mick,
    The only problem I have with you saying "Rethink the let em play scenario" is in the first situation I had called the foul and we were calling everything that we saw(I don't recall a play in that game where I even thought I am going to let 'em play. In the second game we again were calling quite a few fouls and on the play that the girl got hurt there was nothing to call as they both went up for the ball and both came down with their hands on the ball, therefore there was nothing I could do.

Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:20am
    Official Forum Member

Wink Woof-woof-woof

I like Mark's rope analogy. "Coach, you have reached the end of your rope. Charge me again and be choked." That would put a smile on my face... seeing that dog hit the end of his rope.

I've had coaches before that wanted to blame me for the level of competitiveness... and do it during the double-bonus flurry of calling-fouls-like-mad. I say BS coach; you are more responsible for the level of play on this court than I am. You coach these kids; you trained them; you motivate them; you tell them what to do. I just try to make them play at the same level by equally enforcing the rules.
    Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:28am
    In Memoriam

Cool

Quote:

In the second game we again were calling quite a few fouls and on the play that the girl got hurt there was nothing to call as they both went up for the ball and both came down with their hands on the ball, therefore there was nothing I could do.

Maybe the first guy as disappointed in his "coached" team?
    Maybe the second guy was mad because he didn't get a held ball? Who knows?
    Hope your next few games are normal.
    Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:40am
    Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
    originally posted by mick
    Maybe the second guy was mad because he didn't get a held ball? Who knows?
    mick...I was thinking the same thing.

Dude
    Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:41am
    Official Forum Member

Injuries increase emotions

DTTB is right, but I have a far different take on his statement's applicability to this situation. We coach these players, we work with them on a daily basis, they become an extension of our family, and we hate to see them go down on the court injured. Add to that we are in a competitive situation. I see a lot of coaches that maintain their cool in other situations just lose it when a player gets hurt.

Get away is the best advice, because the coach is least likely to be able to think reasonably when there is an injured player. This is especially true when no foul is called or a foul or violation is called on the injured player. While the no-call or adverse call may be the right call, that's not going to be what most coaches think.

If you are close enough to hear something, be willing to listen to a little more but not too much - and then give the stop sign or a cut-off comment ("Coach, you need to attend to your player") and get away. Injuries are ugly and bring out the worst. It should pass if you give it a chance. Try to avoid letting the emotions of that type of situation impact the game.
    Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 12:12pm
    Jerry Blum

Thanks for the help. You are probably right about getting away from the situation so the coach doesn't have a chance to say anything. I was standing about 10 ft or so away from the injured player when said this to me in the second situation and I did cut him off by saying that he needed to attend to his player. But from the suggestions that you guys have given I would have been better to get away to half court.

This should help the next time I have this situation.

Thanks again.
    Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 12:19pm
    Official Forum Member

By moving away from the injury, you give the upset coach 2 choices: (1) tend to his injured player or (2) ignore the player rolling around in pain and chase after you. If he chooses no. 2, everyone in the gym will understand if you T him.