The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School

A wise basketball official once said, there is a limit to how many technicals a coach can get, but there is no limit to how many warnings....
What the h-e-double toothpicks does that mean, anyway? Maybe I'm just daft. As far as I know there is a limit to how many warnings. Limit one.

As far as T-ing up the coach when he's talking to your partner, you dang well better be sure. I had a partner come from across the court and ding a coach who was asking me a legitimate question, because he'd already heard enough from the coach that night. I'll never work with that guy again.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Don't worry about him - he's the court jester. Watch how folks correct virtually every piece of advice he provides.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 02:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
What the h-e-double toothpicks does that mean, anyway? Maybe I'm just daft. As far as I know there is a limit to how many warnings. Limit one.
You're not daft, I don't think, but the one warning refers to the Delay of Game situation. If a coach is giving you a hard time, you give him/her as many warning to sit down, shut-up, let it go, calm down as you want, no limit here. Lot of people like to think that once I formally warn a coach, he gets no more warnings, but really there is no rule that says the next one is a direct technical.

Quote:
As far as T-ing up the coach when he's talking to your partner, you dang well better be sure. I had a partner come from across the court and ding a coach who was asking me a legitimate question, because he'd already heard enough from the coach that night. I'll never work with that guy again.
That's my point, the official didn't take care of business the first time, now here he comes after the fact, still hot about the previous encounter and embarrasses both you and himself by giving a technical. Now you are caught in between.

Last edited by Old School; Thu Dec 28, 2006 at 03:28pm.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Don't worry about him - he's the court jester. Watch how folks correct virtually every piece of advice he provides.
CJ? I like it.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lot of people like to think that once I formerly warn a coach, he gets no more warnings, but ...
OK. Who's taking this one?
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
OK. Who's taking this one?
He's got a point. Once he's warned a coach, moving forward in time it can factually be said that coach was formerly warned. But as one of my HS teachers was fond of saying, "Getting the right answer for the wrong reason, is still wrong."
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to missingnumber7
I see a lot of talk about warnings but no place in the rule book does it say anything about warnings. The coaching box is in place for a coach to do just that...Coach. I both coach and officiate and I would rather coach my girls through bad officiating, at the freshmen level it is horrible here. As an official I handed out T's in games over the holiday break. Both were JV games. I never handed out a warning. When a coach comes flying off the bench in response to a call trying to upstage the officiating it warrents a T. My theory is a coach knows when he's getting a T and knows when he's pushing buttons.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7
I see a lot of talk about warnings but no place in the rule book does it say anything about warnings. The coaching box is in place for a coach to do just that...Coach. I both coach and officiate and I would rather coach my girls through bad officiating, at the freshmen level it is horrible here. As an official I handed out T's in games over the holiday break. Both were JV games. I never handed out a warning. When a coach comes flying off the bench in response to a call trying to upstage the officiating it warrents a T. My theory is a coach knows when he's getting a T and knows when he's pushing buttons.
Although your philosophy makes sense, it would never work in the college setting, at least not in the Northeast. Our assignors expect us to tell the coaches before they get out of control that they are on their way... either by speak to them or with the "stop sign". I got MAD props the other night from my assignors for giving the "stop sign." I never used it before that game and it worked... both for getting a good rating and also for telling the coach to stop bi**hing!

Last edited by Official99; Mon Jan 01, 2007 at 02:43am.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
If it deserves a T, call it. Protecting a partner is teamwork and I think it looks better than if the ref being criticized calls it.
I dunno Kevin...I like to stomp my own snakes.

In some instances I can agree with you...but, for the most part, a strong official should be able to handle anything a coach can give him/her.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian
Had a situation where I warned the coach once to be quiet, I didn't get a chance to tell my partner.

Does it then look unprofessional if the coach is clearly yelling at your partner and you come in from across the court and give the coach a technical? It seems like it might be almost like calling out of your area, but would that be tolerated in this instance?

Thoughts? What would you do?
Look here, if the coach was warned. I think it is unprofessional to let him/her act unsporting. Handle it and move on. I find it disturbing that officials allow unsporting behavior because of what others think. I get assigned to do a job and I will perform that job until completion.

I don't get assigned because of my good looks or political ambitions. One should not get bent around tha axle on what others think.. Do it and move on!

Scheafer is that you?
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're not daft, I don't think, but the one warning refers to the Delay of Game situation. If a coach is giving you a hard time, you give him/her as many warning to sit down, shut-up, let it go, calm down as you want, no limit here. Lot of people like to think that once I formally warn a coach, he gets no more warnings, but really there is no rule that says the next one is a direct technical.

Sure, you CAN give as many warnings as you want, but why would you? Are you a parent? Are you the parent that says, "For the LAST TIME. . ." six times or so? Doesn't work, does it? A warning is just that--notice that something bad is about to happen. If you get to the point that you have to use the warning, use it once and be done. There is a rule that says the next one is a T--the rule of common sense.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 04:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Sure, you CAN give as many warnings as you want, but why would you? Are you a parent? Are you the parent that says, "For the LAST TIME. . ." six times or so? Doesn't work, does it? A warning is just that--notice that something bad is about to happen. If you get to the point that you have to use the warning, use it once and be done. There is a rule that says the next one is a T--the rule of common sense.
Unfortunately, coaches are not kids. You can not use the same method of treatment with a kid as you can an adult. If you think you're going far with that altitude, you got a lot to learn. Why would you issue mutliple warning? Many reasons. The bigger the game, it's always better to get thru it if you can without accessing a technical. If you're new to a conference or a tournament you've been trying to get your foot in the door, the first few games you may want to lay low and let the veterans take care of anything like this. Are you going to T up Bobby Knight in your first big DI game? If you do, it might be your last, but, nobody going to get upset with you if you give him the stop sign multiple times or say multiple times that's a warning coach. I need you to stay in the box, please try to stay in the box for me. If you think this is BS, that's okay with me, it's your call!

Top of the year to you.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 04:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If you do, it might be your last, but, nobody going to get upset with you if you give him the stop sign multiple times or say multiple times that's a warning coach. I need you to stay in the box, please try to stay in the box for me. If you think this is BS, that's okay with me, it's your call!
I don't think it's BS. I know it's BS.

Again, that ties for the dumbest post ever made on this forum.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, coaches are not kids. You can not use the same method of treatment with a kid as you can an adult. If you think you're going far with that altitude, you got a lot to learn. Why would you issue mutliple warning? Many reasons. The bigger the game, it's always better to get thru it if you can without accessing a technical. If you're new to a conference or a tournament you've been trying to get your foot in the door, the first few games you may want to lay low and let the veterans take care of anything like this. Are you going to T up Bobby Knight in your first big DI game? If you do, it might be your last, but, nobody going to get upset with you if you give him the stop sign multiple times or say multiple times that's a warning coach. I need you to stay in the box, please try to stay in the box for me. If you think this is BS, that's okay with me, it's your call!

Top of the year to you.
Top o' the year to you as well. I don't think about how far I'm going with my attitude because I'm already a well-respected official in my circles, and I work all I want. And a coach that constantly argues, whines, and complains can be dealt with the exact same way that a petulant child would. I, of all people, should know. I've reffed for 13 years and I've taught junior high for 13 years. It's the same thing. Be firm, fair, and speak with respect. Say what you mean. If you say, "That's a warning, coach!" It should be followed with action, not "That's another warning, coach!" A warning of what? A warning that another warning is coming? Reminds me of an old Dave Letterman quote--"I don't just talk about making idle threats--I MAKE idle threats!"
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 07:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If you think you're going far with that altitude, you got a lot to learn. Why would you issue mutliple warning? Many reasons. The bigger the game, it's always better to get thru it if you can without accessing a technical. If you're new to a conference or a tournament you've been trying to get your foot in the door, the first few games you may want to lay low and let the veterans take care of anything like this. Are you going to T up Bobby Knight in your first big DI game? If you do, it might be your last, but, nobody going to get upset with you if you give him the stop sign multiple times or say multiple times that's a warning coach. I need you to stay in the box, please try to stay in the box for me. If you think this is BS, that's okay with me, it's your call!

Top of the year to you.
Here's how this reads, CJ. "The bigger the stakes, the less authoritative you want to be." You must have graduated from the UN School of Officiating. "Coach, please stop. This time I mean it." The fact is, some coaches, when emotional, can sometimes act like petulant teenagers. They don't respect soft, and if you don't show you're in control, you're screwed.

While I would not ref with you, I'd pay to watch the coaches run you over.