View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Unfortunately, coaches are not kids. You can not use the same method of treatment with a kid as you can an adult. If you think you're going far with that altitude, you got a lot to learn. Why would you issue mutliple warning? Many reasons. The bigger the game, it's always better to get thru it if you can without accessing a technical. If you're new to a conference or a tournament you've been trying to get your foot in the door, the first few games you may want to lay low and let the veterans take care of anything like this. Are you going to T up Bobby Knight in your first big DI game? If you do, it might be your last, but, nobody going to get upset with you if you give him the stop sign multiple times or say multiple times that's a warning coach. I need you to stay in the box, please try to stay in the box for me. If you think this is BS, that's okay with me, it's your call!

Top of the year to you.
Top o' the year to you as well. I don't think about how far I'm going with my attitude because I'm already a well-respected official in my circles, and I work all I want. And a coach that constantly argues, whines, and complains can be dealt with the exact same way that a petulant child would. I, of all people, should know. I've reffed for 13 years and I've taught junior high for 13 years. It's the same thing. Be firm, fair, and speak with respect. Say what you mean. If you say, "That's a warning, coach!" It should be followed with action, not "That's another warning, coach!" A warning of what? A warning that another warning is coming? Reminds me of an old Dave Letterman quote--"I don't just talk about making idle threats--I MAKE idle threats!"