The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

correctible done right?

about 4 minutes left in a boys soph game and white ahead by 20. white player fouls B1 and then proceeds to drop the "that's an f*ing bovinepoop call" -- my partner made the initial foul call and by the time the bovinepoop comment was made the player was at half court about 10 feet away from me -- so I ring him up.

In my haste I forgot to mark B1 who had 2 shots coming in the double bonus.

B2 comes forward and honestly he looked like B1 so I didn't even think about if he is the right shooter. He is also that teams best free throw shooter -- he first attempts the double bonus and makes one -- then the T and misses both -- I know how can he be the best.

Suddenly B1 comes up to me and says I was the one fouled -- coach says the same thing and so does the table. Poop i just screwed a pooch and it wasn't cute. So I go to my partner and ask him if he had the shooter and he says "no" -- so I tell him to nod yes and I point at B1. Good now at least it looks like one of us had the right shooter -- my partner was new so i was able to explain to the coaches that he is just nervous and still doesn't have his confidence to speak up. Coaches were fine and didn't really say anything.

So here is how I fixed it -- I wiped off the first 2 free throws that B2 took -- which included his one make -- and made B1 take them -- he made 1 missed one and then we inbounded B ball at half.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
-- my partner was new so i was able to explain to the coaches that he is just nervous and still doesn't have his confidence to speak up. Coaches were fine and didn't really say anything.
So you hung your partner out to dry because you didn't keep up with who the shooter should be.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:40am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
So you hung your partner out to dry because you didn't keep up with who the shooter should be.
I have to admit, that was my first thought too. Maybe you tried to say it in a humorous way, but I don't think that's a good thing to say about your partner.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Yea, Tony, I agree that blaming it on the partner was pretty low. But on the other hand, he at least fixed it, and did it right. If I were that partner I'd say, "Look, thanks for bailing me out of a jam. I should have known who the shooter was, and I forgot to check. But next time, could you please not tell the coach that I'm new and still wet behind the ears? That isn't even remotely helpful.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

that's not how i said it -- i forgot everything is read literally here

coach asked "well if your partner knew it why didn't he say anything instead of us having to go to you?"
I responded with "coach it's his first year and I will address that with him and he's still getting his feet wet."

this was a 1 on 1 conversation that was between the coach and I -- all this started of course with me prefacing to the coach that "I just screwed the pooch".

The only way to fix it was for me to ask my partner to nod while I looked at B1 just so that it looked at least like 1 of us had the right shooter. Because quite frankly I didn't
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
all this started of course with me prefacing to the coach that "I just screwed the pooch".
That makes a difference. Just don't want to put it all on your partner's shoulders.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
That makes a difference. Just don't want to put it all on your partner's shoulders.
I agree. Especially since you're giving him the credit for bing right by having him nod when you look at B1. It says that he hadn't understood the rule about standing up for his call (six pages in anthter thread), and actually he was right about the situation. I just hope you didn't say to the coach literally, "I screwed the pooch." If you use that vocabulary, then why wouldn't it be okay for the coach to use it later?
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that's not how i said it -- i forgot everything is read literally here(
deecee, there is no other way to read it. A smilie can't adequately convey the nuances that come automatically when we are speaking verbally. When print is the only communication, vocabulary, syntax and sentence structure are of ultimate importance in putting forward an over-all picture. You have to be literal, or at least very, very careful in the implications of what you say, otherwise we have no way of knowing what you said, or what the coach said.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

julie - i can call you that right?

I dont see why me saying to a coach "i screwed the pooch" is bad it was done 1 on 1 - it like if a coach says to me and only to me "I think you guys are being a bit inconsistent and we are getting f*ed on some calls that I think you guys are calling against us" depending on his delivery and if this was said to me I would NOT T him up -- I would just say "coach I'll work harder on my angles" and move on.

Also what I guess some might not get is that My parnter nor I KNEW that B1 was the shooter -- once everyone (table, coach, player, teammtes, opposing player) told us that B1 was shooter -- I just went to my partner and told him "just nod yes" -- while he nodded I pointed at B1 and then went and fixed it.

I asked him "Partner do you know if B1 was our shooter?" He looked lost and he said very subtly "no" then i said "nod yes".

Case solved - as far as everyone is concerened we got it right as a crew. He and I know we didn't know poop from strawberries at that moment.

But on an honest note -- I was glad this came up because it was good practice in game management. And I know by the letter of the law we have nothing to back up since him and I didnt know -- but with the setting and how we handled it no one could protest what we did. As far as everyone except my partner and I -- He had the right shooter and for some reason just didn't say anything earlier.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 03:03pm
MABO Member

And guess who would have egg on their faces if it really wasn't B1 who was fouled. Because the "best" shooter missed his shots they were trying to pull one over on you. I'm not saying they were BUT .....

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

yes you are right -- but this was a decision that was made based on all the facts that were presented -- B coach, B1, Opposing player, the table -- and also you can tell from how a coach approaches his issue with you if hes trying to pull one over. besides they were down by 20 with about 4 minutes to go.

Whooooopeeee they just got the only point scored wiped off to send a very bad free throw shooter to the line -- yup if that coach got me good job.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Why not just say "Coach, we had some miscommunication. We messed up by not having the correct shooter on the line."? And then explain how to fix it. If this is a close game and you make that comment to the coach (who may not have known your partner was a newbie), now you are going to have all kinds of issues with credibility for him. To me this conversation with the coach should have not included an I. We always talk about being in this together, this was a good opportunity to help coaches remember that. jmho.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Since the table said the wrong person shot, is that enough to go on since they are part of the crew? I have no idea, I am just wondering.