The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Thom
Had another new and unique one tonight. At the start of the first overtime period the players lined up wrong. Ref steps in and says "white this way, red this way" and points in the direction in which they are lined up (which again, is wrong). We get the tip, break down the floor and make a layup, the opps throw the ball in, start down the floor and upon crossing 1/2 court the official blows the whistle and calls "over and back". He then goes to the scorers table and tells them to remove 2 points from our total and give 2 points to the opp. since we made the field goal in the wrong basket. (Again, it was the wrong basket, however it was the right basket according to the way the teams lined up for the tip and the way the official pointed prior to the toss-up). Needless to say the gym is now becoming a bit rowdy with a few hundred different opinions on what happened and what should now happen.
He then awards us the ball at 1/2 court for the"over and back" violation.
We end up winning by 5 so it turned out not to hurt us but if someone could advise if this falls into correctible errors or if something else should have been done I would appreciate it. This must be my year for learning some of the discreet rules of BB (the hard way).
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I have to say this first.....that ref just blew it big time...if he knew it was over and back then he also knew that they were going the wrong way, and didn't say anything.

Now back to the game. Once I knew the teams were going the wrong way...I would stop the game...leave all the points that have been scored on the board...and then point them in the right direction.
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I have to say this first.....that ref just blew it big time...if he knew it was over and back then he also knew that they were going the wrong way, and didn't say anything.

Now back to the game. Once I knew the teams were going the wrong way...I would stop the game...leave all the points that have been scored on the board...and then point them in the right direction.
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 03:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

This is a pretty clear situation under NF rules. NF 4-5-3: "If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed shall count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play shall resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location."

Obviously, when this guy blew the whistle for the "over and back", it was then that he discovered the error.

I don't see what defense he would have to his mistake. At first, I thought he could claim that the teams were lined up correctly but just went the wrong way at first (it happens). But if that was the case, after team A scored the bucket in what would have been B's basket, he should have given the ball to team A to inbound, so that can't be it.

Bottom line, he just blew it.