Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
The only difference is I would defer if the L was 121% sure, but otherwise, I agree.
Let's split the difference, call it 119.5% positive.

Ya know what? Since it was in your area let's just make it an even 119.576842% positive.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Let's split the difference, call it 119.5% positive.

Ya know what? Since it was in your area let's just make it an even 119.576842% positive.
Works for me.

I don't care what other people on this forum say - you're pretty damn agreeable!

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Your partner was wrong to do that to you, but it is not worth fighting about.
Try something like this:

"Partner, if you really want the call, you can take it. Only you have to explain it to the coaches."

Now walk to the side of the floor opposite the benches.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I may have missed this, but JRut having a different discussion with GoodWillRef? I haven't seen any posting by GoodWillRef.

Any my two cents with who's call. It is overwhelming agreed that not long discussion should atke place during the game, but If the lead is looking at the T's area, who the hell is watching the L areas?

A big fight could be breaking out and no one is watch that area. So I would let the senior official know in a nice way to please watch you area at half time or after the game. He doesn't not trust you yet. typically that is what happens when a senior official works with a less senior and he doesn't trust you yet. That is IHO..
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
A big fight could be breaking out and no one is watch that area. So I would let the senior official know in a nice way to please watch you area at half time or after the game. He doesn't not trust you yet. typically that is what happens when a senior official works with a less senior and he doesn't trust you yet. That is IHO..
REFVA, my partner and i from this game work several dates together and at all levels from jrh to HS Varsity. i'm sure he trust me. otherwise, not sure why he asks me to work with him. i was merely trying to find out how to handle a double whistle/2 different calls situation. i've shared all of the thoughts with him about this. we just want to look professional and get it right.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
I may have missed this, but JRut having a different discussion with GoodWillRef? I haven't seen any posting by GoodWillRef.
Any person can delete their posts at any time. It is clear that GoodWillRef deleted his posts. Maybe he did not like the conversation or the position others were taking.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

something that happened to me...

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I often read old threads in my spare time to learn and entertain myself....(I know but Korea can be a lonely place at times). I read this thread and it reminded me of a similar situation that happened to me in one of a varsity game about two years ago and I really felt bad for differing to the veteran official even though I knew I was right...but because he was the veteran I differed against my better judgement. Here is the sitch...

I have a loose ball in my area and both a1 and b1 go to the floor and go for the ball...I step in quickly and call for the ball... clearly after the whistle and as the players are returning to their feet, b1 shoves a1. I signal a technical foul on the offender, b1. A teammate of a1 who is bench personnel leaves the bench area and runs all the way to half court before my partner cuts him off. An action which should have warranted an automatic ejection. Instead, my partner approached me and said that if I eject the player for leaving the bench area, then I would be duty bound to eject b1 for shoving a1 since his actions resulted in a1 teammate leaving the bench area....I felt sure that I had applied the rules correctly and my rulings were in line with the intent of the rules and the spirit of the game, yet I allowed the veteran official to talk me out of the call mainly because it had no impact on the games, as the outcome of the game had already been decided....Just thought I would share this since this thread reminded me of the situation...
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

I don't think that your partner was correct in this particular situation, but if you read the following rule and give it some thought, you will see why he told you what he did.

RULE 4, SECTION 18 FIGHTING
Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as:
ART. 1 . . . An attempt to strike, punch or kick an opponent with a fist, hands, arms, legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made.
ART. 2 . . . An attempt to instigate a fight by committing an unsporting act toward an opponent that causes an opponent to retaliate by fighting.

I don't like this rule for reasons such as your situation. What if the kid who ran off the bench, A6, got all the way to the players and punched B1 in the face? The rule would seem to apply and B1 would receive a flagrant technical foul for fighting instead of a normal player technical foul for committing an unsporting foul. This sounds ridiculous, but we had a similar incident here last season and our state office contacted Mary Struckhoff in Indy and was told that is the correct application of the rule and the intent of it.

BTW, since you seem like a good guy who is working hard over there in Korea and someone who seeks to better himself, I'll let you know that the word you intended to use in your post is "defer": intransitive verb : to submit to another's wishes, opinion, or governance usually through deference or respect <deferred to her father's wishes> Inflected Form(s): deferred; deferring

Take care.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

This discussion can be summed up in one word:

PREGAME

Double whistles and how to handle them is something that is always discussed. Usually, its hold the preliminary signal on all double whistles. Our intention is to go with the Primary's call unless (s)he is unsure.