View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

something that happened to me...

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I often read old threads in my spare time to learn and entertain myself....(I know but Korea can be a lonely place at times). I read this thread and it reminded me of a similar situation that happened to me in one of a varsity game about two years ago and I really felt bad for differing to the veteran official even though I knew I was right...but because he was the veteran I differed against my better judgement. Here is the sitch...

I have a loose ball in my area and both a1 and b1 go to the floor and go for the ball...I step in quickly and call for the ball... clearly after the whistle and as the players are returning to their feet, b1 shoves a1. I signal a technical foul on the offender, b1. A teammate of a1 who is bench personnel leaves the bench area and runs all the way to half court before my partner cuts him off. An action which should have warranted an automatic ejection. Instead, my partner approached me and said that if I eject the player for leaving the bench area, then I would be duty bound to eject b1 for shoving a1 since his actions resulted in a1 teammate leaving the bench area....I felt sure that I had applied the rules correctly and my rulings were in line with the intent of the rules and the spirit of the game, yet I allowed the veteran official to talk me out of the call mainly because it had no impact on the games, as the outcome of the game had already been decided....Just thought I would share this since this thread reminded me of the situation...