The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

You can tell it's still early

Last night had a MS girl's tourney. First game is a total blow out. Score was 48-7 after three. Don't know or care what the score was when it ended. During third quarter my partner and I must have both been half asleep. I'm lead. Red 41 puts up a shot. I whistle a foul on white 13. I go to the table and report, "White 13, Illegal use of the hands. Two shots." I turn around to go to my spot when I see both teams breaking to other end of the court. My partner had just inbounded the ball to white while I was finishing reporting the foul. Out of instinct I break with them only to realize I had just reported a shooting foul on white. I let them get to the other end. A white player shoots and the ball is tipped by red and goes out of bounds. I signal dead ball, then point to other basket and say, "We have a correctable error. Two shots for red." She makes both. White starts to inbound, to which I double tweet and point back to other corner to resume play from the spot for the the POI and I give white the ball. I don't know if it was brain freeze or being lulled to sleep put of sheer boredom. It must still be early in the season.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Was there a post before JR's? I didn't see anything.

Now let me get this straight, you call a foul against WHITE and RED is due two shots. But not only does your partner put the ball in play via a throw-in, but he gives it to the team which committed the foul!!! He is definitely asleep!

You made a small mistake by turning and running with the play, but it is a natural reaction. However, even if you had blown the play dead right then, you would have to have done the exact same thing to correct the error. So that really doesn't matter much.

As far as I can tell you fixed the error the right way. You didn't say this, but I hope that you did NOT allow players along the FT lane while administering the FTs from the error.

Overall good job, and take this as a reminder to work on your mental focus during blowouts.