The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
JR is never going to agree with Dan and me on this. How do I know? B/c we already hashed it to death here: Changing your partner's call

I'm going to excuse myself from this thread now. . .
Large, heavy bags await...
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 11:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
We do it the same way around here. Sometimes a T or C is in a bad position to see if it's a 3 or a 2. (quick crosscourt pass and the T or C ends up behind the shooter). It's their primary so they take an educated "guess." (I could sugarcoat it, but it's a guess in that case).

The other outside official has a clear view and sees that it was obviously missed. We trust each other and help out in that case. No discussion necessary. Quick whistle and signal the correct number of points. We got it right and we move on.
Would you do the same thing if the T or C was in a great position to see the play in his primary? Right on top of it iow? No guess at all...110% sure that they got it right in the first place? Are you still gonna change the call without discussing it first? What if the T or C doesn't want to change their call?
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 11:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elitist Prick

We discuss it at pregame and bilaterally or trilaterally decide that's the way we're doing it.
Yabut...what if one of the two or three at Yalta unilaterally decides that he ain't gonna do it that way? What if the conscientious objector wants to do it the "book" way instead?

Who wins?
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Would you do the same thing if the T or C was in a great position to see the play in his primary? Right on top of it iow? No guess at all...110% sure that they got it right in the first place? Are you still gonna change the call without discussing it first? What if the T or C doesn't want to change their call?
No, you wouldn't do the samething if the T or C was in a great position to see it because they would have got it right.

You also wouldn't do it if it was real close. You do it if it's obvious that the other official was in a bad position to see it and obviously missed it.

It's about trust too. I know that if my other official changed it, they saw that I was in a tough spot and they had a great look at it. So there is never a reason to discuss this one.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
It's about trust too. I know that if my other official changed it, they saw that I was in a tough spot and they had a great look at it. So there is never a reason to discuss this one.
That's it exactly - trust works both ways. Your partner trusts you to call your area, but you also trust your partner to come help you out if you get a call like this obviously wrong.

JR, you bring up the possibilty that two officials might disagree on the call, but couldn't that happen in other situations as well? It wouldn't be limited to just this 3-pt. vs. 2-pt. call, so if that were to happen it should be handled the same as any other disagreement.

Again, something to cover in pre-game.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by The non-elitist working class yet still very old, annoying and stubborn (but still lovable in the same way an irrelevant bothersome yapping lap dog might be lovable) prick
Yabut...what if one of the two or three at Yalta unilaterally decides that he ain't gonna do it that way? What if the conscientious objector wants to do it the "book" way instead?

Who wins?
Usually the winner is the team that accumulates more points.

In this particular case the winner might actually be the team that accumulates fewer points if you're boneheaded enough to insist on giving 3 points when only 2 are deserved.

And if the procedure is to not huddle on these plays then the loser is definitely the guy who decides to arbitrarily change the process in mid game. You should turn your cell phone off on the drive home 'cause I bet you're gonna get a call from the boss.

BTW, pretty cool that in the 2 years snce this thread first appeared you haven't changed your position a bit. You were a bonehead back then and you're still a bonehead today.

Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Do we have to go through this again? Either JR's area handles this play differently than other areas, or JR handles it differently than others. Arguing it here isn't going to change any of that (I know, because it's been tried.)

So, I'd suggest we just A2D and STFU.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Do we have to go through this again? Either JR's area handles this play differently than other areas, or JR handles it differently than others. Arguing it here isn't going to change any of that (I know, because it's been tried.)

So, I'd suggest we just A2D and STFU.
Yep, it says right there in the forum FAQ that each subject is only allowed to be argued once.

btw...a2d? analog to digital? attention to detail?

(I think I got the STFU part)
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
If I was certain that you missed it, yup.

Yeah, right. Like you could catch me.

Chuck, are you a ball watcher then?
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
btw...a2d? analog to digital? attention to detail?
Agree to digress. We do that a lot.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
Chuck, are you a ball watcher then?
Since Chuck said he was done, I might have to answer that for him.

I know in my case it's not an issue of ball-watching. It's an issue of watching your area, but being aware of everything. You could have a shot go up in the gray area between coverage areas. If there's a drive from T, how do you handle pass/crash plays if there's only one set of eyes on it?

There's a fine line between ball-watching and being aware of everything, but there is a difference.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Since Chuck said he was done, I might have to answer that for him.

I know in my case it's not an issue of ball-watching. It's an issue of watching your area, but being aware of everything. You could have a shot go up in the gray area between coverage areas. If there's a drive from T, how do you handle pass/crash plays if there's only one set of eyes on it?

There's a fine line between ball-watching and being aware of everything, but there is a difference.

That is not what Chuck wrote: Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Time
If the 3 was shot in my primary?

How is Chuck certain you missed a call in your primary if he is not ball watching? Gray (Trouble) Area or on a fast break I have no problem with this.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Arm Bar:

If there is displacement and an advantage has been gained I will call a foul, if not, a no-call!
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
That is not what Chuck wrote: Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Time
If the 3 was shot in my primary?

How is Chuck certain you missed a call in your primary if he is not ball watching? Gray (Trouble) Area or on a fast break I have no problem with this.
Ok, I won't answer for Chuck, I'll just keep it to me.

In most cases, I won't be sure becuase there's probably enough stuff going on in my area to watch. Maybe I'm C and there's no one in my area. Maybe it's a transition. Maybe the dribble started in my area and I'm continuing a 5-sec. count when the shot goes up in my partner's area. But, if I happen to see it, and I'm 100% sure, I'm not going to keep quiet about it just because it's not my area. I'm going to help my partner get the call right.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Ok, I won't answer for Chuck, I'll just keep it to me.

In most cases, I won't be sure becuase there's probably enough stuff going on in my area to watch. Maybe I'm C and there's no one in my area. Maybe it's a transition. Maybe the dribble started in my area and I'm continuing a 5-sec. count when the shot goes up in my partner's area. But, if I happen to see it, and I'm 100% sure, I'm not going to keep quiet about it just because it's not my area. I'm going to help my partner get the call right.

I agree with every situation you have here.