The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to TxBktball03
As a newbie, I have a question:

I've gone to see the two WNIT games held here in Houston this week. I've noticed that, with good reason, the ladies on the 3 teams I've seen have stepped up the intensity of play, but also the physicality. How do officials compensate? Those with post-season NCAA experience, I was wondering how much that phase of the season and the stakes involved affect how the game is played and how the officiating is tweaked to compensate...
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 03:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb About the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by TxBktball03
As a newbie, I have a question:

I've gone to see the two WNIT games held here in Houston this week. I've noticed that, with good reason, the ladies on the 3 teams I've seen have stepped up the intensity of play, but also the physicality. How do officials compensate? Those with post-season NCAA experience, I was wondering how much that phase of the season and the stakes involved affect how the game is played and how the officiating is tweaked to compensate...

Not trying to be funny, I did not realize that they played one at the end of the season. Where is the Championship held?

Well about the physicality of the game, post season games are inheriently more intense, translating into a much more physical game. You do the same thing as any other game, you call advantage/disadvantage. You take you time and see the whole play. Call what you see and use preventative officating where appropriate. No different than two heated or hated rivals. Those games tend to have enourmous amounts of intensity at times. Or even those games at the end of the year too.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to TxBktball03
WNIT

I looked it up on the internet and the WNIT is 32 teams and all games are at on-campus sites...they don't have the New York gig like the NIT. I saw Houston vs. Rice and Houston vs. Miami. Really great games. Glad I had the opportunity to see some post season play. Great basketball and officiating. It was my opinion that the teams were allowed to play more...lots more physical that I had expected. That led to my original post.
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 07:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: WNIT

Quote:
Originally posted by TxBktball03
I looked it up on the internet and the WNIT is 32 teams and all games are at on-campus sites...they don't have the New York gig like the NIT. I saw Houston vs. Rice and Houston vs. Miami. Really great games. Glad I had the opportunity to see some post season play. Great basketball and officiating. It was my opinion that the teams were allowed to play more...lots more physical that I had expected. That led to my original post.

I was not there like you, but I am sure it looks that way because the intensity picked up a few notches. Even thought it is the WNIT, it is post season basketball.

Peace