The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 09:49am
Huck Finn

Same thread, different subjects (I'm lazy).

1. Does anyone have any particular habits/rituals before a game?

I have plantar fac*** (however it is spelled) and finally found something to help with it during games. I tape my feet. There is a method to tape for this and I don't really like it when a trainer does it because it is too tight and I can't move as well as I would like. I have adopted my own method of taping and it works well for me. I use Spenco inserts too! The best inserts around IMO. I have 3 different sets of custom orthodics and they have all hurt in some form or fashion. They are just too hard sometimes and hurt for other reasons other times. Now, my feet don't hurt after games, whether it is two games (regulation) or one college game.

2. Have you guys seen anything like this? One of the boards I belong to has an MO that bothers me. Since coming to the area I have noticed a love for the traveling call. Years ago, I was told "don't let traveling be your best call." Not the case with this board. I have heard and witnessed guys crucify someone for missing a boarderline travel - an ant as opposed to an elephant - but say nothing of a crew who does a HS game without any off-ball calls in the post. I know it isn't mandatory to have calls like this, but it isn't mandatory to have traveling either. I just think a lot of what we are supposed to call in the post isn't being called. I have a game tonight and I think the over/under is 5 traveling calls, minus me. I probably can't describe this observation well, but it is real and it baffles the mind. Even some guys from the other board I belong to have said something to me about it.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Tell me what area you live in, because I have a couple of officials that need to work on that board. The only problem is, that board would have to add 3 secs. to the required call list.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 10:44am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
Tell me what area you live in, because I have a couple of officials that need to work on that board. The only problem is, that board would have to add 3 secs. to the required call list.
I know what you mean. I worked a game early in the season and this guy called 3 seconds three times! It was so bad that me and my other partner had a double whistle on 3 seconds because of it! He called three seconds at the C as I was rotating. No big deal except he had the ball and a matchup in his corner, plus the defender kept the offensive player from leaving the lane.

Hey, do you live in Indiana? If so, have you ever reffed in Richmond? If so, how was it? My dream (hs) is to do a game in the Tiernan Center.

[Edited by tomegun on Feb 10th, 2006 at 10:46 AM]
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Hey, do you live in Indiana? If so, have you ever reffed in Richmond? If so, how was it? My dream (hs) is to do a game in the Tiernan Center.

Nah, Tom, I'm in Illinois. I have heard that place is nice though. Some guys from Indy were here for an AAU over the summer.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 11:20am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

Nah, Tom, I'm in Illinois. I have heard that place is nice though. Some guys from Indy were here for an AAU over the summer.
Yes, it is. It seats 8,000 and can also hold indoor track meets, to include pole vaulting.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Tom - re: your question 1 - how involved is the taping process? I've had that same little nagging ache all season; it usually doesn't affect me during the game, but I'll feel it after the ride home when I get out of the car, and the next morning when I get out of bed. Somehow walking on it loosens it up where it feels better. I picked a pair of inserts to wear in my everyday shoes, and that has helped a little. I also got a new pair of ref shoes (different brand) during the season and noticed almost immediate problems, so I switched the insoles from my old pair and it helped right away. I suppose the best thing for me to do is wait until the end of the season, then spend a lot of quality time with my feet elevated in the recliner. (Hmm...if I can get a doctor to prescribe that, I wonder if I can deduct the cost of the recliner?...)

Anyway, how involved is your taping process? Do you just use the standard tape, and cut it off after every game?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Tiernan Center?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 02:46pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Tiernan Center?
It is the name of the high school gym in Richmond, Indiana.

M&M, it isn't hard to do. Email me and I will tell you about it.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

THe taping process is different then taping for an ankle. I have injured mine a couple of times and the inserts are a waste, stretching does little, and rest (well, I just didn't have the time to rest).

I searched the web and found the following site that explains the injury and has a link to tape.

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/plantar/

Results were immediate for me - no pain while my foot was taped, but still some in the morning until i streched it out a little.

Like the initial poster, I too modified the way it is pictured, and found a method that worked a little better.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

1- You can use what I call the chicken foot (which is pictured in the link above) and the figure 8. The chicken foot is the easiest to do if you have to do it by yourself. I disagree that inserts aren't any good. Evidently, ATXCoach hasn't brought the correct type. buy some Spenco inserts. THEY Work!

2- Tommy, you think 5 traveling alls in one game is a lot?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 05:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
2. Have you guys seen anything like this? One of the boards I belong to has an MO that bothers me. Since coming to the area I have noticed a love for the traveling call. Years ago, I was told "don't let traveling be your best call." Not the case with this board. I have heard and witnessed guys crucify someone for missing a boarderline travel - an ant as opposed to an elephant - but say nothing of a crew who does a HS game without any off-ball calls in the post. I know it isn't mandatory to have calls like this, but it isn't mandatory to have traveling either. I just think a lot of what we are supposed to call in the post isn't being called. I have a game tonight and I think the over/under is 5 traveling calls, minus me. I probably can't describe this observation well, but it is real and it baffles the mind. Even some guys from the other board I belong to have said something to me about it.

Do they play Ricky Nelson in pre-game?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

On the traveling issue, when I first started officiating an old vet told me that if you have any doubt at all, then there was no traveling. I still follow that first piece of refing advice I ever got, and not just on traveling but on almost any call. Works for me.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game Rituals

I always offer my partner a "curiously strong mint" ie. Altoids. My partners always like that little pre-game treat!
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:24pm
Huck Finn

Bktballref, I think 5 "marginal" traveling calls and "mysteriously" clean post play multiplied by most of the games this board does is a lot. It isn't just one or two games, it is the overall mindset that bothers me.

Inserts are a great thing and I don't know how someone could say any different. All athletic shoes have inserts, aftermarket inserts are just better. If a pair of shoes is comfortable, replacing inserts would make them that much more comfortable. This would apply to all athletic shoes with the exception being some good running shoes. IMO. Orthodics are a whole different animal. While I have found my orthodics to be good for day-to-day activities, they just don't cut it for officiating. Orthodics are too hard to run in for me. Oh, believe Tony when he mentions Spenco, they are great.

The taping method on the site is involved and would be hard to do. Also, when I've had a trainer do it, they did something similar to taping an ankle. It was just too much for me. Here is what I do:

1. Tape an X on the bottom of my foot from the ball to around the heel.
2. tape all the way around the ball and top of my foot to hold the front of the X in place.
3. Two (wide) or three (narrow) strips of tape from the outside, under and up, starting towards the rear area of the arch. I put some tension on the inside which helps raise the arch. I hope I explained that well; it is sort of like if you cupped your hand and placed it under the arch area of your foot.

When I do this, I split the roll of tape so I'm using approximately half of the width of the roll. After a game, when I take my sock off it still feels like I have an orthodic on. It feels so good, I might do this when I go on vacation and plan on being on my feet all day. I did find that a good running shoe store will carry one or two models that basically have a built-in orthodic (but soft). I got some Asics that are very comfortable.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

If you are having foot issues of any kind, you need to get yourself custom insoles for your shoes, depending on your foot. Read up on pronation factor and figure out what you are, then 1) look for the best shoes you can find (which is difficult since they have to be black) and 2) get a pair of insoles for them.

I need max cushioning as I underpronate and have a very high arch. I wear Sof Soles arch support in my Reeboks, but I think I'll go to the New Balance 895 soon. I might see if Brooks can custom "paint" me one of their running shoes in black.