The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I was observing a first-year official at a boys jv game tonight when the following occurred:

Team A took a shot. A1, B1, and B2 all tried to rebound the ball. Lead blew the whistle and displayed a closed fist, but gave no indication about who fouled. When he got to the table, he reported the foul on B1. A1 was the only player for team A in the vicinity of B1. The calling official beckoned four substitutes into the game, including A6 who replaced A1. The new lead moved to the endline to administer the frontcourt throw-in. At just about the time he handed the ball to the team A player for the throw-in, Rrnt! (At least that's what this horn sounded like.) If I were splitting hairs, I would say the ball was at the disposal of the thrower before the horn sounded, but it was fairly close. The table informed the officials that team A should be shooting 1 and 1. The lead whistled and took the ball back from the thrower. Now both officials looked confused and were, of course, unable to find the player who should be shooting. One of the officials, a veteran of 41 seasons, picked a player on the court and had him shoot the free throws. I don't know if anybody on either bench realized what had happened, and the game was a blowout by this point so it had no meaningful impact on the outcome of the game.

I understand that many mistakes were made, however, once the official made the mistake of allowing the substitute for the shooter to enter the game, how does the official get out of the situation? It seems to me that if they knew the correct shooter they could have "un-substituted" him had him shoot the free throws. Is this allowable by rule? Would it matter if the ball was already at the disposal of the player throwing the ball in? Would it matter if throw-in had been completed? What if there had already been a change of possession? What if A6 was fouled during the throw-in?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

The player who is fouled is required to shoot the free throws unless he has to be removed for injury or disqualification. So "un-substitute" A1 and have him shoot his free throws. Same if the ball is at the throwers disposal; same if the throw-in is completed. In those cases you shoot the free throws and go on from there. If there's been a change of possession, then I'm guessing (no books here) that you bring A1 back in, shoot the bonus with the lane cleared, and resume at POI.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone read the NFHS interps?

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 1: A1 is fouled by B1 late in the second quarter. It is a common foul and the seventh Team B foul. The bonus situation is not recognized by the scorer or the officiating crew, and the Team A coach substitutes A6 for A1. A6 is beckoned onto the floor and A1 goes to the team bench. The scorer recognizes the error and sounds the horn (a) just before or (b) just after the administering official hands the ball to A2 for a throw-in. RULING: This is a correctable-error situation and falls within the proper timeframe for a correction. In both (a) and (b), A6 leaves the game with A1 re-entering to shoot the bonus free throw. Play is resumed as after any free-throw attempt(s). If the second free throw is successful and the coach desires, A6 may re-enter the contest. (2-10-1a; 2-10-6)
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys!
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Rick, just to add a little bit about the "disposal" part of your question. The reason it doesn't matter whether the ball is at the inbounder's disposal is that the error is correctable up until the ball becomes live following the first dead ball after the clock has properly started. So even if the ball becomes live by handing it to the inbounder, the clock has not properly started, so the error is correctable.

To make it even more extreme, suppose your situation happened, the ball was handed to the inbounder, and a technical foul was called on Coach B for arguing the call. A6 shoots two for the T and then the ball is handed to A2 for the throw-in at midcourt. Before the ball is touched inbounds, B3 is called for an intentional foul. A3 goes to shoot two and the ball is handed to A2 for the throw-in. NOW, the table realizes that B1's rebounding foul should've resulted in a 1-and-1. Believe it or not, it's still correctable, since the clock never started. Unsubstitute A1 and shoot the 1-and-1.

Huh. Now, since there's been no change in possession during this whole sequence, do we line up and shoot 'em as we normally would? Or clear the lane and give Team A the throw-in for the intentional?
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

"Huh. Now, since there's been no change in possession during this whole sequence, do we line up and shoot 'em as we normally would? Or clear the lane and give Team A the throw-in for the intentional?"

I'll venture a guess here Chuck...

It seems to me that the intentional foul penalty would have to be applied. No rule book with me at work, but Team B should not benefit from the table's and the officiating crew's error.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by biz
Team B should not benefit from the table's and the officiating crew's error.
I agree with this sentiment, but that doesn't seem to be what 2-10-6 says.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by biz
Team B should not benefit from the table's and the officiating crew's error.
I agree with this sentiment, but that doesn't seem to be what 2-10-6 says.
Chuck,
In the play you have constructed, once the error of failing to award merited FT(s) for the bonus is recognized, the case can be made that essentially this is just an administrative mistake in the sequence of awarding the FTs, since the clock never started after the initial error.

By the case book play below one could shoot the 1-1 with the lane clear and continue with the throw-in for Team A at the nearest spot of the intentional foul.

MISTAKE IN ADMINISTRATION SEQUENCE
8.7 SITUATION B: B1 fouls A1 just as the first quarter ends and then A1 retaliates and intentionally contacts B1. A1's foul is a technical foul as it occurred during a dead ball. Team A is in the bonus. The officials by mistake administer the penalty for the technical foul before the free throw(s) by A1. RULING: The penalties should have been administered in the order in which the fouls occurred. However, since all merited free throws were attempted it does not constitute a correctable error situation. The second quarter will begin with an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-19-5c)

However, I'm troubled by the fact that these fouls did not occur during the same dead ball period. This probably invalidates the above method.
So following the rules very strictly, since this really was a correctable error situation, it seems that the FT lane should be occupied and Team A loses that throw-in opportunity.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Feb 14th, 2006 at 07:27 PM]
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Rick, just to add a little bit about the "disposal" part of your question. The reason it doesn't matter whether the ball is at the inbounder's disposal is that the error is correctable up until the ball becomes live following the first dead ball after the clock has properly started. So even if the ball becomes live by handing it to the inbounder, the clock has not properly started, so the error is correctable.

To make it even more extreme, suppose your situation happened, the ball was handed to the inbounder, and a technical foul was called on Coach B for arguing the call. A6 shoots two for the T and then the ball is handed to A2 for the throw-in at midcourt. Before the ball is touched inbounds, B3 is called for an intentional foul. A3 goes to shoot two and the ball is handed to A2 for the throw-in. NOW, the table realizes that B1's rebounding foul should've resulted in a 1-and-1. Believe it or not, it's still correctable, since the clock never started. Unsubstitute A1 and shoot the 1-and-1.

Huh. Now, since there's been no change in possession during this whole sequence, do we line up and shoot 'em as we normally would? Or clear the lane and give Team A the throw-in for the intentional?
Thanks, Chuck! I appreciate the effort. I was actually pretty okay with the correctable error stuff. I just couldn't figure out the substitute stuff. I couldn't figure if there was some event, like the ball becoming live, the clock starting, or the sub for the correct shooter needing to shoot his own free throws, that would prevent the correct shooter from re-entering the game. Nevada pointed me (while politely chastising me ) to the Fed interp that gave me my answer.

I didn't anticipate it leading us to another ambiguous situation. Jeesh!