Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 10:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Team Control Foul Signal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
... team control foul signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The official signals were also modified to use the same hand signal for a player control foul and a team control foul. Officials should use Signal 36, which is a hand placed at the back of the head, for both types of fouls. Previously, a team control foul was communicated with a punch of the hand.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 10:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Two-Handed Reporting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... two-handed reporting ...
Quote:
2-9-1: When a foul occurs, an official shall signal the timer to stop the clock. The official shall verbally inform the offender, then with finger(s) of two hands, indicate to the scorer the number of the offender and the number of free throws.
TWO-HAND FOUL REPORTING (Rule 2-9-1 Signals)
The Official will move to the designated reporting area on the floor.
Make sure that you have the attention of the scorer prior to giving the numbers.
Indicate the color of the jersey for the player who fouled.
The Official shall report fouls to the scorer by using two hands to display the jersey number of the person who committed the foul.
The official’s right hand will indicate the first digit of the number or the tens and the left hand will indicate the second digit of the number or the ones.
The official shall extend the arms shoulder high towards the table to display the numbers.
The digits of the number should be displayed at the same time.
When reporting, the official shall verbalize the number as twenty-four not two-four.
The scorer will view the number in a left-to-right sequence.
Indicate the type of foul using the proper signal.
If one, two or three free throws are to be attempted, indicate the number of free throws by using one hand.
If the team is in the bonus for the seventh, eight of ninth foul, indicate the bonus situation raising both hands and display a raised index finger on each hand.
If the foul is a team control foul, after the official signals the specific type of foul, the official will turn and signal such with an extended arm, closed fist parallel to the table and side line, indicating no free throws will be attempted.
After reporting and if no free throws are to be attempted, the official will turn from the table and indicate the throw-in spot to resume play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 10:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Coaching Box ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... coaching box expansion.
Quote:
1-13-2: The coaching box shall be outlined outside the side of the court on which the scorer's and timer's table and team benches are located. The area shall be bounded by a line drawn 28 feet from the end line towards the Division line. At this point a line drawn from the sideline toward the team bench becomes the end of the coaching box going towards the end line. Note: State Associations may alter the length and placement of the 28 foot (maximum) coaching box. Effective Immediately. Tape may be used to extend the 14-foot line to 28 feet.
Some high school gyms still have the 28 foot hash mark painted on the inbounds side of the boundary sideline.

Anybody besides Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. old enough to remember what this hash mark was originally used for?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 20, 2022 at 10:25am.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 10:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To Bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think the rules changes, and certainly the annual interps, are posted on this site.
bob jenkins is correct about the annual interpretations (a valuable tool), but I don't believe that the annual rule changes are posted in any one place.

Quote:
... if it's been 10 years, you are better off starting over rather than just trying to learn the changes.
Always listen to bob.

Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 10:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Cliffs Notes ...

General:

10-4-5 Note The head coach may enter the court in the situation where a fight may break out or has broken out to prevent the situation from escalating. In another change, assistant coaches now will be able to go onto the court with the head coach in an effort to restore order when a fight breaks out among players. The head coach and any number of assistant coaches may enter the court in the situation where a fight may break out - or has broken out - to prevent the situation from escalating.

9-1-4g. A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated by a lane-space mark or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (12 *inches by 36 inches) designated by a neutral zone. A player shall position one foot near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line. The other foot may be positioned anywhere within the designated 36-inch lane space until the ball has been released.

10-6-12 The following acts constitute a foul when committed against a ball handler/dribbler:
a. Placing two hands on the player.
b. Placing an extended arm bar on the player.
c. Placing and keeping a hand on the player.
d. Contacting the player more than once with the same hand or alternating hands.
Rationale: Rather than continuing to make hand-checking a point of emphasis year after year, simply add a brand new rule that requires a personal foul be called any time this type of contact occurs on a player holding or dribbling the ball outside of the lane area. The NFHS game needs this type of illegal contact on the perimeter ball handlers and dribblers eliminated.

1-20 NEW: Non-playing personnel, e.g., spirit participants, media, shall remain outside of the playing area during a 30-second or less time-out during the game. Non-playing personnel shall stand outside the free throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.

2-12-5: Sound a warning signal to begin the 15 seconds (maximum) permitted for replacing a disqualified or injured player, or for a player directed to leave the game.

1-13-2: The coaching box shall be outlined outside the side of the court on which the scorer's and timer's table and team benches are located. The area shall be bounded by a line drawn 28 feet from the end line towards the Division line. At this point a line drawn from the sideline toward the team bench becomes the end of the coaching box going towards the end line.

4-48 Warning for Coach/Team Conduct
A warning to a coach/team for misconduct is an administrative procedure by an official, which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the Head Coach:
Art. 1 For conduct, such as that described in rule 10-5-1a,b,d,e,f; 10-5-2; 10-5-4 the official shall warn the head coach unless the offense is judged to be major, in which case a technical foul shall be assessed. Note: A warning is not required prior to calling a technical foul.
Art. 2 For the first violation of rule 10-6-1, the official shall warn the head coach unless the offense is judged to be major, in which case a technical foul shall be assessed. Note: A warning is not required prior to calling a technical foul.

5-4-1, 2: When a coach has been removed, this rule clarifies that if no other coach or school personnel are available, then the game is forfeited unless state association rules determine otherwise.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 20, 2022 at 03:04pm.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 10:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Cliffs Notes ...

Equipment:

3-5-3 Arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compression shorts and tights are permissible:
a. Anything worn on the arm and/or leg is a sleeve, except a knee brace, and must meet the color restrictions.
b. The sleeves/tights, compression shorts must be black, white, beige or the predominant color of the jersey and the same color sleeves/tights must be worn by teammates.
c. All sleeves/tights, compression shorts must be the same solid color and must be the same color as any headband or wristband worn.
Note: In general, a brace is defined as anything that contains hinges and/or straps or an opening over the knee cap.

DELETE 3-5-7: (Compression shorts shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the uniform; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt.)

A note was added to Rule 3-5-5 to permit folding or rolling the shorts at the natural waistband seam. The new language does state that the shorts have to be in compliance with Rule 3-4-5, which restricts uniform pants/skirts to one visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference. This addition to Rule 3-5-5 modernizes the rule and allows players to adjust the shorts in a manner that serves no harm to the game or its integrity.

The other equipment changes deal with headbands and hair-control devices in Rule 3-5-4. The maximum width of the headband was expanded from 2 inches to 3 inches to be consistent with the rules for volleyball and accommodate athletes who play both sports. In addition, in 3-5-4d, hair-control devices are not required to meet color restrictions. A hair-control device goes around the hair only, while a headband goes around the entire head.

Rule 3-5-4e was added to allow players to wear head coverings for religious reasons without obtaining state association approval. The head covering shall not be made of abrasive or hard materials and must be attached so that it is highly unlikely to come off during play.

The allowance of hair adornments made of hard material has been clarified in high school basketball. Adornments made of hard material are permitted provided they are securely fastened close to the head and do not present an increased risk to the player, teammates or opponents.The committee adjusted the rule to be inclusive of hair styles while maintaining that the risk of injury to the athlete and others not be compromised.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 20, 2022 at 03:04pm.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 10:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Cliffs Notes ...

Signals:

Signal Chart Added a mechanic of a defensive tip (brushing one hand over the other above the head) to indicate the official has ruled the ball entered the backcourt as a result of contact with a defensive player.

2-9-1: When a foul occurs, an official shall signal the timer to stop the clock. The official shall verbally inform the offender, then with finger(s) of two hands, indicate to the scorer the number of the offender and the number of free throws.

The final change approved by the Basketball Rules Committee is a change in the signal when a held ball occurs. Now, when a held ball occurs, the covering official(s) shall stop the clock using Signal #2 (straight arm, open palm extended) while simultaneously sounding the whistle. This change should help to alleviate conflicting calls by officials when a held ball occurs. Stop Clock for Jump/Held Ball-Part 3 of the NFHS Basketball Officials Manual-#3: When a held ball occurs, covering official(s) shall stop the clock using signal #2 (straight arm, open palm extended) while simultaneously sounding their whistle. Then both arms are extended straight out, at chest level, with fist clinched. Thumbs are displayed as a part of the signal. Signal is given with both arms moving in an upward motion. Should be followed with a directional signal (See #6) indicating team possession.

The official signals were also modified to use the same hand signal for a player control foul and a team control foul. Officials should use Signal 36, which is a hand placed at the back of the head, for both types of fouls. Previously, a team control foul was communicated with a punch of the hand.

Officials Signal Chart and Officials Manual: Establish a signal to be used after a basket is made and there is a stoppage in play. The signal is used by the officials to indicate the team inbounding the ball may run the baseline. The signal will be executed by extending the arm laterally, bending the elbow at a 90-degree angle, moving the hand and forearm from the elbow in a waving motion horizontally along the end line. A new picture will need to be added to the signal chart.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 20, 2022 at 04:16pm.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 10:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I think the rules changes, and certainly the annual interps, are posted on this site.

And, if ti's been 10 years, imo you are better off starting over rather than just trying to learn the changes.
That was my thought as well. Just get back in the books and study.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 11:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Infamous Backcourt "Screw Up" ...

Please note that I deliberately avoided any mention of the infamous backcourt "screw up".

Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 11:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Hands ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Agree with bob jenkins and Raymond. Ten years is a long time. On my local board, after a ten year absence, such an official would be strongly encouraged to take the rule classes and mechanics classes and be required to take the written test and the floor test like a rookie official.

On the other hand, being aware of changes may avoid some confusion.

On the third hand, depending on one's learning style, in some learners being aware of changes may cause some confusion.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 23, 2022 at 09:34am.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 11:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There are more resources now to do just that than there were 10 years ago. NASO has an entire collection of stuff to allow you to learn rules easier or focus on things that are common to the game. There is no magic bullet to learning the rules, you have to get in and read some things.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 20, 2022, 12:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Compression Shorts ...

Quote:
DELETE 3-5-7: (Compression shorts shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the uniform; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt.
Compression shorts used to be a stand-alone rule and were required to be the same color as the "pants/skirts" (shorts), later changed to same color as the "uniform" (whatever that means (what if shorts and jersey are different colors)).

This rule change combined compression short color requirements with sleeves, tights, and other types of equipment, headbands, and wristbands (but not undershirts).

Happened after "school color" was no longer mentioned in the rulebook.

I thought that this was going to be the start of the simplification of equipment rules.

I was wrong.

In fact, we're now going backwards (to more complex rules) by allowing some types of hard hair control devises (and adornments), but not others.

Ribbons used to tie hair in a ponytail used to be illegal (and maybe still are illegal) because they were considered decorative hair adornments.

Since we're now allowing some decorative hair adornments (beads), are we now allowing ribbons (soft cloth securely fastened close to the head) used to tie (control) hair in a ponytail?

2019-20 Basketball Rules Interpretations: SITUATION 2: A1 is wearing a ribbon to control her hair. RULING: Illegal. Ribbons are considered decorations and the athlete should not be allowed to enter the contest while wearing a ribbon in the hair. (3-5-4e)

2019-20 Basketball Rules Interpretations: SITUATION 1: A1 is waiting at the table to substitute into the game. The official recognizes the substitute is wearing pre-wrap tied in the back as a headband. RULING: The substitute is permitted to enter the game wearing the pre-wrap as a headband provided it meets all the guidelines for a headband. (3-5-4b)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 20, 2022 at 05:00pm.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2022, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome back to the "Light Side", on behalf of all the kids who play hoop, you're needed now more than ever. In addition to the well- cited rules herein posted, you'll also see how the game is " managed" now as compared to back then: there's more of an expectation to enforce good sportsmanship, the principle of verticality is explicitly expected to be extended to the defender also who has the "right to act" within their respective floor to ceiling cylinder, and overall players have become better, craftier, and coaches are using more off-ball screens and slip screens so there's more of a premium set on off-ball officiating; also they're running lots of drive and kick/dish actions that result in open shots (long twos or a three) so there's emphasis on getting a good look at all related actions.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Wed Sep 21, 2022 at 11:49pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Getting back into officiating after almost a 10 year hiatus.

What's new in terms of mechanics or rules that would be noticeable?
Two-hand reporting and no more punch on team control fouls are the biggest changes. Three-person crews are also more common now than they were before.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2022, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And, if ti's been 10 years, imo you are better off starting over rather than just trying to learn the changes.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. Thanks for the advice.