The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

I have been reading and posting on this and other officiating forums for a few years now. It seems to me that most discussion topics center around either rules or situations/mechanics.

My question is which (if any) do you prefer?

I enjoy the threads about situations/mechanics. I do not discount the importance of knowing and understanding the rules, I just enjoy the discussions about situations and mechanics more. Let's hear from everybody else.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on who you are. I think it's important for newer umpires/officials of any sport to get a firm grasp on the rules before worrying about mechanics. Once you have that, it's important for your intermediate official to get a firm grasp of mechanics, in order to most accurately apply their knowledge.

A rules guy that is always out of position is of no more use than a guy who is in perfect position to not know what to call.

That said - as far as posts here go, for a reasonably experienced official, MOST of the posts here about mechanics are not news to me, whereas we can always learn something about the rules from interesting situations. On the other hand, when a post here DOES reveal something new to me regarding mechanics, it is probably of more value to me than the rules decisions.

Probably completely failed to answer your question, but that's my 2 cents.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

I enjoy discussing/debating, etc. the situations and rules more than mechanics.

In personal improvement, I put more emphasis on mechanics than rules.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics. If you look lost on the field, or like someone who just graduated from the local Whiffle Ball league, a coach isn't going to hear a word you say about rules, right or wrong.

Though we joke about it, too many people DO believe that all umpires should be completely knowledgeable of all rules and mechanics from their first game, EVER! IOW, perfect!

We always tell people about first impressions. I'm not saying that rules should be ignored, but anyone can spot a rookie umpire from a mile away if they do not use the right mechanics.

I tell rooks that if you dress the part and act the part, they won't know you are a rookie until you are forced to open your mouth.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

rules du jour

And, Mafia, since we all know from postings here that the rules are dictated to umps from tournament to tournament, depending on what the tournament director wants, why worry about the rules, I agree, it's mechanics! Look the part, be the part & then wait until the rules for that tournament are told to you, forget the real book of rules for softball, they don't really matter! What a joke, but the truth hurts, doesn't it? LOL!

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Mechanics. If you look lost on the field, or like someone who just graduated from the local Whiffle Ball league, a coach isn't going to hear a word you say about rules, right or wrong.

Though we joke about it, too many people DO believe that all umpires should be completely knowledgeable of all rules and mechanics from their first game, EVER! IOW, perfect!

We always tell people about first impressions. I'm not saying that rules should be ignored, but anyone can spot a rookie umpire from a mile away if they do not use the right mechanics.

I tell rooks that if you dress the part and act the part, they won't know you are a rookie until you are forced to open your mouth.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Did somebody hear something?

I thought this site was troll free.

Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Where is Mick when we need him?