The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 05, 2022, 07:41pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So are you saying that "hit" was used as far back as 1963-64 and didn't change to "release" until 1980-81? Yes.

I didn't start playing organized basketball until ninth grade (1966-67) and I honestly can't remember if we used "hit" or "release" back then.

Only thing that I do remember for sure it that when I started playing organized basketball, unlike Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., we didn't shoot at peach baskets.
Quote:
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Was the change to "hit" in 1992-93, or 1993-94? My research only confirmed 1993.
I do not know. I am no longer using a cane to walk but I still am not ready to climb into the "Attic" yet.

Billy:

See my answers above in GREEN.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 05, 2022, 08:27pm
Administrator

Quote:
Some high school gyms still have the 28 foot hash mark painted on the inbounds side of the boundary sideline.

Anybody besides Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. old enough to remember what this hash mark was originally used for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Back in the day, teams had an option to forgo free throws on a foul against them. The 28-foot mark was used as the throw-in location in that case.
I think that was a FIBA Rule back then.

Quote:
No ilyazhito, but thanks for playing. As a parting gift you'll receive a twenty-volume set of the Encyclopedia International, a case of Turtle Wax, and a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat.

Two uses for NFHS 28 foot hash marks back in ancient times.

1) Hash mark separated the midcourt for the forecourt. New five second closely guarded dribbling count if dribbler passed the hash mark going forward. So a possibility of sixteen seconds of being closely guarded with no violation. Holding in midcourt. Dribbling in midcourt. Continue dribbling past hash mark. Continue dribbling in forecourt. Holding in forecourt.

2) Lack of action technical foul. Team behind, while on offense, had to "force the action" by dribbling past the hash mark after being warned by the officials. Team behind, while on defense, had to "force the action" by closely guarding opponents in the midcourt after being warned by the officials.
The Lack of Sufficient Action Rule was adopted by the NBC and kept in the NFHS and NCAA Men's Basketball Rules when the NBC devolved into the two aforementioned Committees, and predates the adoption of the Closely Guarded Rule (CGR) by the NBC (and subsequentially by the NFHS and NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committees).

NOTE: NBC is the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada and wrote the Rules and Officials Manuals for boys'/girls' high school and men's college before devolving into the NFHS and NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committees.

The NCAA Women's Basketball Rules Committee has always (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) had a CGR starting with the NAGWS Basketball Rules which was based upon the FIBA's CGR. The Women's CGR has always (I am sorry J. Dallas.) been a Violation by the Team in Control of the Ball.

The NBC Closely Guarded Rule was first adopted by the NBC for the 1970-71 school and necessitated and adoption of the 28 Foot Hash Marks to divide the Front Court into the Fore-Court (Hash Mark to the End Line) and the Mid-Court (Hash Mark to the Division Line). Originally a CGR resulted in a Held Ball by definition with the Ball being put back into Play by a Jump Ball between the two Players involved at the nearest Jump Circle (Center Circle or Free Throw Circle). Later the Rule was Changed to make it a Violation by the Team in Control of the Ball.

Billy touched briefly on how the Mid-Court and Fore-Court were used and there was a second of school of thought which posited that a Ball Handler could be in Control of the Ball for not 16 seconds bur 20 seconds and I am a proponent of 20 seconds, but that is a discussion for another time.

Oh how I miss the Lack of Sufficient Action Rule (LSAR). I will not go into detail (maybe at a later date I i will) but the 28 Foot Hash Mark played no part (sorry Billy) in the adjudication of the LSAR. The Penalty for an Infraction of the LSAR was a TF charged to the Offending Team. Depending upon the Score and which Team had Control of the Ball either the Offense or the Defense could be charged with LSAR Technical Foul.

See my comments above.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 06, 2022, 12:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Little Fuzzy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Oh how I miss the Lack of Sufficient Action Rule (LSAR). I will not go into detail (maybe at a later date I will) but the 28 Foot Hash Mark played no part (sorry Billy) in the adjudication of the LSAR. The Penalty for an Infraction of the LSAR was a TF charged to the Offending Team. Depending upon the Score and which Team had Control of the Ball either the Offense or the Defense could be charged with LSAR Technical Foul.
While the 28 foot hash mark may have, indeed, been painted onto courts (for closely guarded) after the lack of sufficient action rule was adopted, and therefore, could not have been used in any early adjudications of lack of sufficient action, but by the time I started officiating (1979-80) the 28 foot hash mark was there for two reasons, closely guarded and lack of sufficient action.

If the offensive team was responsible for the creating sufficient action it had to advance the ball past the 28 foot hash mark.

Also, there had to be an oral warning by the officials (not sure, one official, or both officials) before a technical foul was charged for lack of sufficient action.

I'm a little fuzzy regarding tie scores (team behind was responsible for creating sufficient action in a non-tied game).

I'm also a little fuzzy regarding the number of oral warnings required (it may have been limited to one oral warning per quarter, or was it limited to to one oral warning per half).

I also seem to recall some amount of time (???) an official must wait before issuing an oral warning or a technical foul.

Now, where are my reading glasses?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 07, 2022 at 09:55am.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2022, 12:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Closley Guarded ...

Quote:
Originally a CGR resulted in a Held Ball by definition with the Ball being put back into Play by a Jump Ball between the two Players involved at the nearest Jump Circle (Center Circle or Free Throw Circle). Later the Rule was Changed to make it a Violation by the Team in Control of the Ball.
Thanks Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. I had forgotten about the penalty change from a held ball to a violation. I believe that this change took place in the very early part of my officiating career.

Now, where are my car keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Oct 06, 2022, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

With Bated Breath ...

Quote:
... how the Mid-Court and Fore-Court were used and there was a second of school of thought which posited that a Ball Handler could be in Control of the Ball for not 16 seconds but 20 seconds and I am a proponent of 20 seconds, but that is a discussion for another time.
C'mon Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Don't leave us hanging with bated breath. 20 seconds? Maybe you could expound upon this topic after your mid-afternoon nap, or maybe after your late afternoon nap after you bring your lovely wife out to dinner for the 4:00 p.m. early bird special?