The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Double Technicals and Bonus FT

Happened yesterday in an AAU HS level game. I called double techincals on players from each team. The table informs me that one of the teams is now in the bonus for FT. Do we allow one team to shoot the bonus FT or ignore and go back to the POI? NFHS rules.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

You never shoot FTs for a double technical foul.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 10:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Happened yesterday in an AAU HS level game. I called double techincals on players from each team. The table informs me that one of the teams is now in the bonus for FT. Do we allow one team to shoot the bonus FT or ignore and go back to the POI? NFHS rules.
You do not shoot FTs on double fouls unless one of the 2 is flagrant or intentional. You report the fouls and put the ball in play at the POI.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You do not shoot FTs on double fouls unless one of the 2 is flagrant or intentional. You report the fouls and put the ball in play at the POI.
Not for NFHS. Double fouls that differ in severity still result in no FTs.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 10:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Not for NFHS. Double fouls that differ in severity still result in no FTs.
NFHS 10-7-Penalties Summary
1. No free throws:
a. For each common foul before the bonus rule is in effect.
b. For a player-control or team-control foul.
c. For double personal or technical fouls (point of interruption).
d. For simultaneous personal or simultaneous technical fouls by
opponents (point of interruption).
e. After time has expired for the fourth quarter (or extra period),
unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.
NOTE: If one or both fouls of a double foul are flagrant, no free throws
are awarded. Any player who commits a flagrant foul is disqualified.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The bonus situation is never relevant for technical fouls. A singular T is 2 shots, always. A double T is 0 shots, always, go to POI.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
For NFHS rules, SC Official is correct. In NCAA rules (both genders, slight terminology differences), Raymond is correct.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bonus situations are only for common fouls, so this rule would not apply to your situation.
You did not have common fouls and thus cannot award bonus FTs. Non-common fouls carry their own specific penalities. You stick with those.

Sadly, this concept isn’t taught to many newer officials, which causes confusion and misapplication of the FT rules.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The bonus situation is never relevant for technical fouls. A singular T is 2 shots, always. A double T is 0 shots, always, go to POI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Bonus situations are only for common fouls, so this rule would not apply to your situation.
You did not have common fouls and thus cannot award bonus FTs. Non-common fouls carry their own specific penalities. You stick with those.

Sadly, this concept isn’t taught to many newer officials, which causes confusion and misapplication of the FT rules.
I was going to raise similar points.

I can *almost* see the question (mainly because it gets asked a couple of times a year) if these were double personal fouls -- it seems "unfair" that the team that is in the bonus doesn't get to shoot its FTs.

But on a double tech.... the bonus has nothing to do with Ts.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2019, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go to Rule 4, Section 19, Article 2. In there, a common foul is defined as a personal foul that is not intentional, flagrant, committed against a player in the act of shooting or part of a double, multiple, or simultaneous fouls. The reason behind this definition is that the other types of fouls have their own specific penalties.

Bonus free throws are only shot for common fouls when there are 7 or more fouls in a half. Double technical fouls do not meet the standard for common fouls because they are part of a double foul, and they are technical, not personal. Therefore one cannot shoot bonus free throws on double technical fouls. Only in a false double foul situation would there be free throws shot by both teams.