The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 05, 2018, 11:09am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Most of these so called AAU coaches are the same people that are screaming at
referees in the winter during high school games. I have been fortunate enough the last 4 - 5 years to work an EYBL session or two. They are great for the most part and the coaches are well behaved. You rarely don't hear the old "ball don't lie" line. Teams like Team Takeover, NY Rens, Houston Hoops have great coaches who are a pleasure to work for and the kids at the 17U level are well behaved as well.

I do think at some of the more local AAU events that assigners don't care and if you work more than three games in a row, then whatever grief you get is on you. Some guys don't switch and will walk up and down the court.

I've seen Scott Foster lose it on AAU referees on more than one occasion.....
How many of them took care of business on #48?
Old Tue Jun 05, 2018, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most officials were better than the average high school officials and the coaches still acted out.
This is what I always tell people when they talk about having "better" officials. i was at a camp once watching a game where the 3 man crew consisted of experienced small college officials, all of whom were being looked at for DI hiring. A coach was acting stupid and was essentially begging for a T. There was nothing wrong with the calls. I know of dozens, even hundreds, of other examples. You hear this for NCAA and NBA games. Not that I think all those guys are great but most are indeed competent.

3 of the best officials on this forum could go work an 8th grade game somewhere with one coach who loves to complain and carry on. He'd do that in that game too.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2018, 12:32pm
AremRed

Quote:
Not surprising given his demeanor on the court, especially in game 7 Rockets-Warriors when the shot clock guy messed up twice in the 1Q and Foster went over and slapped the table in front of him.

https://streamable.com/eu7zq
Old Tue Jun 05, 2018, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

To be perfectly honest, getting mad at AAU refs is like screaming at the sun in Arizona during August: You knew what this was when you signed up. You're getting underpaid and overworked refs who are there for the money.

"Don't take the games if you can't perform", GTFO brah, I got rent to pay. I got college books to buy. I got gas to get. I'm taking these 7 games in cash on Saturday and you can bet I'll be back for 5 more on Sunday. Back when I did AAU I hated it when I went to camps with dudes making $1000+ per game lecturing me on how to work games worth $25 and that I had to give my all or I was cheating the kids.

"He forgot where he came from" is all I got to say to that.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Player99 - great point

In AAU if a coach wont leave just walk across the court and say loudly to the clock "give me a 1 minute timer, if coach ABC isn't completely out of the gym team forfeits."

The parents get the coach out pretty quickly, or the coach takes the team off the court and either way you are done with having to babysit fools. I had one of these only and the coach was sent out and when he tried to come back to watch I made it clear hes gone from the venue or the team is gone from the game. But I also had a no-nonsense rep with the parents as most parents play the circuit year after year.

You have to be firm and consistent in AAU otherwise you get eaten alive.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 09:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Can you give a context here? Lose it for what?

Peace
I have a friend who had to deal with Foster in an AAU game. Forget if he T'd him up or not, but he said after the game that he and Foster had a friendly conversation.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jun 08, 2018 at 06:39pm.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 04:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Advice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
You have to be firm and consistent ... otherwise you get eaten alive.
Great advice. This is true for any level game, middle school up to high school varsity, recreation games, travel games, AAU games, men's league games, etc., and for any situation, not just ejections. Let the kids play ball, let the spotlight be on the kids, but when the whistle sounds, the official is in complete charge.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
To be perfectly honest, getting mad at AAU refs is like screaming at the sun in Arizona during August: You knew what this was when you signed up. You're getting underpaid and overworked refs who are there for the money.

"Don't take the games if you can't perform", GTFO brah, I got rent to pay. I got college books to buy. I got gas to get. I'm taking these 7 games in cash on Saturday and you can bet I'll be back for 5 more on Sunday. Back when I did AAU I hated it when I went to camps with dudes making $1000+ per game lecturing me on how to work games worth $25 and that I had to give my all or I was cheating the kids.

"He forgot where he came from" is all I got to say to that.
All. Of. This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Player99 - great point

In AAU if a coach wont leave just walk across the court and say loudly to the clock "give me a 1 minute timer, if coach ABC isn't completely out of the gym team forfeits."

The parents get the coach out pretty quickly, or the coach takes the team off the court and either way you are done with having to babysit fools. I had one of these only and the coach was sent out and when he tried to come back to watch I made it clear hes gone from the venue or the team is gone from the game. But I also had a no-nonsense rep with the parents as most parents play the circuit year after year.

You have to be firm and consistent in AAU otherwise you get eaten alive.
Amen.

And don't get me started on refs that won't do what you did because "it's not fair to the kids." You know what else isn't fair? Officials getting paid pennies to put up with a**hat coaches, players, and fans while the tournament directors load their wallets and, in many cases, refuse to pay for 3-man crews. Sorry, but if some fake travel ball coach wants to show his ass, he and his kids should pay the price, and I don't really care.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I have a friend who had to deal with Foster in an AAU game. Forget if he T'd him up or not, but he said after the game that he and Foster had a friendly conversation.
Shameful that an NBA ref would act like a buffoon at an AAU game. I don't care how many Finals you've worked.