View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
To be perfectly honest, getting mad at AAU refs is like screaming at the sun in Arizona during August: You knew what this was when you signed up. You're getting underpaid and overworked refs who are there for the money.

"Don't take the games if you can't perform", GTFO brah, I got rent to pay. I got college books to buy. I got gas to get. I'm taking these 7 games in cash on Saturday and you can bet I'll be back for 5 more on Sunday. Back when I did AAU I hated it when I went to camps with dudes making $1000+ per game lecturing me on how to work games worth $25 and that I had to give my all or I was cheating the kids.

"He forgot where he came from" is all I got to say to that.
All. Of. This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Player99 - great point

In AAU if a coach wont leave just walk across the court and say loudly to the clock "give me a 1 minute timer, if coach ABC isn't completely out of the gym team forfeits."

The parents get the coach out pretty quickly, or the coach takes the team off the court and either way you are done with having to babysit fools. I had one of these only and the coach was sent out and when he tried to come back to watch I made it clear hes gone from the venue or the team is gone from the game. But I also had a no-nonsense rep with the parents as most parents play the circuit year after year.

You have to be firm and consistent in AAU otherwise you get eaten alive.
Amen.

And don't get me started on refs that won't do what you did because "it's not fair to the kids." You know what else isn't fair? Officials getting paid pennies to put up with a**hat coaches, players, and fans while the tournament directors load their wallets and, in many cases, refuse to pay for 3-man crews. Sorry, but if some fake travel ball coach wants to show his ass, he and his kids should pay the price, and I don't really care.