The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Coach ejected

I am fortunate to have a good HS varsity schedule, but, I do a few MS games to fill in days. Year 16 for me.

Last night I am doing a double header boys 7th grade followed by an 8th grade boys game. In the 7th grade game, in the 3rd Q it is tied at 20. Visitors take a run and go up by 11 with just over 2 mins left. Partner calls an offensive foul on home. I am ready to bring the ball in and I notice the Assistant coach is standing, I motion for him to sit down. No response. I tell my partner to have the assistant to sit down. She goes and a conversation ensues. I am at the opposite end of the gym. I approach the bench and I tell the coach to have a seat. Head coach say "this is what you're going to do now?" Bang T. As I turn to the table to report the Technical foul, coach says "you're a freaking. .." before he could get "idiot" out, I Banged the 2nd T.

My first coach ejection in about 10 years. Beyond that he refused to leave the gym, when he did, he went into the locker room with the door open coaching his kids while we were shooting the 4 FTs. I was unaware, the crowd began to yell about it and got my attention. I didn't want to call another T, so I pushed the 2nd assistant to get him out of the visual confines of the gym. They did.

He reappeared between games again in the locker room door talking to the players. I had to send a report the state. Standard for all Ts.

Should I have called additional Ts? Visitors won by 7.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

No additional Ts. Tell the acting head coach that if the ejected coach refuses to leave then the game will be forfeited. That should quickly take care of the issue.

And of course include in your report that the coach did not leave the first time.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 01:11am
This IS My Social Life

10-5-PENALTY NOTE: "...Failure to comply with the rules of an ejection may result in the game being forfeited."

Forfeit the game. Send the message. Report it. Don't apologize for it. Don't kick that can down the road and pass a scourge to a future crew with the unfinished business you could have settled.

I reserve the right to be wrong, but this seems like a no-brainer if it ever happens to you or me in the future. Right?
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Freddy. That's one of those little used rules.

This was a huge rivalry games with a big crowd. We had about 400 people there, split about evenly. That wouldn't have set well with half of them. And we still have the 8th grade game to work. But it would have been a good rule to use as a warning.

I will keep that in my back pocket and hope to never use it in the future.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 07:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Thanks Freddy. That's one of those little used rules.

This was a huge rivalry games with a big crowd. We had about 400 people there, split about evenly. That wouldn't have set well with half of them. And we still have the 8th grade game to work. But it would have been a good rule to use as a warning.

I will keep that in my back pocket and hope to never use it in the future.
The chances of you having to follow through are slim.

After you had the AC help you and you noticed he was still coaching, advise the AC that if you see the HC again during the game, the game will be suspended and reported to the governing body as a potential forfeit due to the HC refusal to comply.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Assistant coach is standing, I motion for him to sit down. No response. I tell my partner to have the assistant to sit down.
This is where you lost me.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
This is where you lost me.
Same, I'm guessing there is some missing information that would help. With how long you've officiated, something seems weird. You motion for the AC to sit down, why not just tell him? Doesn't listen so you get your partner to do it when you're the old vet. You told the coach(I'm guessing AC?) to have a seat. I would've just talked to the HC about what I expected of him and his bench personnel.

Then you give him his first T for an awkward comment. Did you know what your partner said to the coach and how it went?

2nd assistant? Is this the new AC?
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I would've just talked to the HC about what I expected of him and his bench personnel.
Exactly.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I was at the opposite end of the gym, on the opposite side of the floor away from the benches. My partner was nearer to them. I thought they were comply without a problem. I was wrong. They had just gone on a 10 to nothing run.