The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Coach's team loses cause he doesn't know the rule...

I'll have to preface this with a quick explaination for those of you stateside who don't referee the FIBA game. Time-outs must be requested by the HC or AC through the score table and can only be granted during the ball is dead or your team is scored upon. The HC or AC may withdraw the request at anytime but once the officials are notified the requesting team can no longer withdraw the time out. Also, the HC or AC may not put a condition on the request (usually its a time out but "only if the opposition scores".) All time out requests should be granted at the next oppurtunity.

VB game tonight... 11.3 seconds left in the 4Q Home team (white) is up 2 so V11 (blue) commits a foul, which happens to be his 5th foul and puts the blue team over the limit. All is good, informed the coach of the 5th foul, he takes his 30 seconds, we get the sub in, line the players up and get ready to shoot the 2 FT for the penalty. W11 on the line gets the ball for the first FT and me as the new T notices the blue team AC at the table motioning for a timeout. I'm now thinking "OK, time out requested if white scores the second blow it dead right away, 11.3 seconds left". W11 misses the first, me thinking "Ok, possible 3 point game, time out on the make..." W11 misses the 2nd FT, long rebound caught by W15 who is fouled by B12 (also a 5th foul)with 8.6 seconds left, I report the foul and notified of the timeout request by the score table and seeing as this is the next chance to grant the time out, I grant the time out, his last.

The blue coach starts "having kittens" - "Only wanted the time out on the score... blah blah blah..." I explain to him the time out rule above and charge his team a time out... the Blue team coach was quite visibly upset with the ruling to the point my partner asked me "what's he pissed about" so I told him what had occured. My partner looks at me, shakes his head, smirks and says under his breath "dummy" refering to the blue team HC... This is huge because if the blue team would of been granted the time out after the made FTs the ball would of been inbounded at the division line.

After the "disputed" time out W15 shoots 2 FT makes both. Blue team (now out of time outs) White up by 4, blue inbounds runs the length of the floor scores a layup to be down 2 with 0.5 seconds left. White team requests and is granted their last time out, "buys" the division line and the game ends without going to overtime.

Just goes to show everyone needs to know the rules...

Last edited by Ref_in_Alberta; Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 01:11am.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 08:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Using FIBA being new here in ON, this is part of my pre-game routine with the table and coaches. No conditional timeouts! A good number of table crews are properly handling this situation, too!

I tell the coaches that introducing conditional timeouts leaves it too open for mistakes to made by table crews. Coaches've always agreed to that, which makes it easy once they acknowledge the process.

If he wants a TO on the make, how hard is it to have an AC or HC at the table and say "timeout" once the ball goes in?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta View Post
I'll have to preface this with a quick explaination for those of you stateside who don't referee the FIBA game. Time-outs must be requested by the HC or AC through the score table and can only be granted during the ball is dead or your team is scored upon.

Just goes to show everyone needs to know the rules...
I have a similar example. Tied game, white team scores going 2 up at 1.7 seconds to go in the 4th quarter.

Blue team coach knows that he has two TO left, because he had asked for this not more than two minutes before (I was near the table, to assist the young officials, just between the table and blue team bench).

The ball goes through the basket and there is plenty of time for requesting a TO, I'm wondering when the coach will do it, the scorer is very expert and has her whistle ready (in Italy, unfortunately, table personnel uses whistles, but this is another story).

The coach starts yelling at his players to make a long pass, the official starts the 5 second count; long pass goes to division line and the shot is short.

I don't say the coach has lost the game for this, but surely he did not make his best. Of course he blamed the officials for the loss (he had been 12 up in the fourth quarter, but his boys were tired and had foul troubles).

Ciao
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 06:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

May cause any of the aforementioned effects and/or death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
In Italy, unfortunately, table personnel uses whistles, but this is another story.
Amico, ti invitiamo a raccontarci una storia.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 08:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Something about friend, invite, and a story?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 01:22am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
ti is you I believe, like tu in Spanish
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Something about friend, invite, and a story?
Friend, I invite you to recount a story.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Italian or in English? Penso che in italiano sarebbe poco comprensibile. Maybe English is better.

Our officiating organization is very different from the US one. We have a national centralized structure, all officials depend from the Federation, which organizes courses for becoming an official. Local assignors are appointed from the Federation; for the main leagues there's a national assignor.

We have also table officials who belong to the structure and are assigned games from the Federation (main leagues only); this is nice, since usually these table officials are well trained and relieve field officials from worrying about administrative matters.

For mysterious reasons, our Federation doesn't require a horn for calling attention, but wants that the table officials use whistles. Don't ask me why. Of course there are problems, since some times this whistle can be confusing. That's all.

But we have some procedures which are, in my opinion, very useful: for example, when the scorekeeper registers a foul, a marker with the player's number of personal fouls is shown; after the fourth team foul in a period, a flag is put on the table, to show everybody that the team is in penalty situation. These procedure are prescribed by FIBA rules.

Ciao
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No passes accepted for this engagement.

eg-italy: Speravo che ci volesse leggere "Orso Bruno, L'orso Bruno, Cosa Vedere", o "Buona Notte Luna".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
eg-italy: Speravo che ci volesse leggere "Orso Bruno, L'orso Bruno, Cosa Vedere", o "Buona Notte Luna".
What'd he say!
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, niente favole per bambini, qui solo pallacanestro e arbitraggio.

Translations for the language challenged follows.
BillyMac said: I was hoping you wanted to read "Brown Bear" or "Good Night, Moon".

eg-italy answered: Sorry, no fables for children, only basketball and officiating here.
Pretty good Italian, BillyMac.

@w_sohl: "ti" is indeed a form for "you", used in indirect cases (usually dative, that is "to you"). We have also "te" for accusative, but "ti" is also used for accusative in enclitic forms or when it precedes the verb. For example: "ti amo" or "amo te", where both "ti" and "te" are accusatives. The first means "I love you", the second might be translated as "it's you who I love". No, Italian isn't a simple language. But here even children speak it fluently.

Ciao
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 10:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Subject to change without notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
No, Italian isn't a simple language. But here even children speak it fluently.
And it's such a sexy language, especially when Gina Lollobrigida, or Sophia Loren, speak it.

Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And it's such a sexy language, especially when Gina Lollobrigida, or Sophia Loren, speak it.
And "Là ci darem la mano, là mi dirai di sì" or "Non più andrai farfallone amoroso" would not be the same in German.

Quiz: what are those quotes?

Ciao