The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 09:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Does anyone see this being addressed by the NFHS? I do. Can you imagine a very physical team wearing all skin tight undershirts for warm ups? I do not feel the governing body would allow this.

What are your thoughts?
Not sure I get the reference to "a very physical team".
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does anyone see this being addressed by the NFHS? I do. Can you imagine a very physical team wearing all skin tight undershirts for warm ups? I do not feel the governing body would allow this.

What are your thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Not sure I get the reference to "a very physical team".
I was wondering the same. I'm guessing you mean a team that appears physically intimidating that is doing this for the purpose of intimidation?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

A team that is all jacked/ripped/etc
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 10:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
A team that is all jacked/ripped/etc
Should that make a difference in how you rule?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Since there aren't enough rules already, I think NFHS should instantly jump on this as a critical concern, just in case some teams comes up with this stupid idea and tries it. . .
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Since there aren't enough rules already, I think NFHS should instantly jump on this as a critical concern, just in case some teams comes up with this stupid idea and tries it. . .
And, since the team will just then go with tight jerseys, the rule will include a "coefficient of looseness" that must be measured and reported. The team roster must list accurate weights and all team members will be required to step on a scale before entering the game.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, since the team will just then go with tight jerseys, the rule will include a "coefficient of looseness" that must be measured and reported. The team roster must list accurate weights and all team members will be required to step on a scale before entering the game.
They won't limit this expansion of micromanagement to players, though. For 2019 all officiating crews will be required to include one bald official and one official with a BMI >35.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

While I can understand the frustration of members having to play fashion police, I believe this situation is quite different. I believe this scenario directly relates to players not being properly equipped and ready to play. If players are on the floor during the jurisdiction of the officials they should be properly equipped - that means a jersey is necessary. In Indiana we are required to ask both coaches if all players are properly equipped during our pregame meeting. If they are not we typically address it then.

2.4.5 SITUATION B:

To the referee's pregame inquiry of coaches regarding all team members being legally equipped and wearing the uniform properly, both coaches responded "yes."
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"Coefficient of Looseness." As a physics teacher, I appreciate this new term so much, well done.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes33 View Post
While I can understand the frustration of members having to play fashion police, I believe this situation is quite different. I believe this scenario directly relates to players not being properly equipped and ready to play. If players are on the floor during the jurisdiction of the officials they should be properly equipped - that means a jersey is necessary. In Indiana we are required to ask both coaches if all players are properly equipped during our pregame meeting. If they are not we typically address it then.

2.4.5 SITUATION B:

To the referee's pregame inquiry of coaches regarding all team members being legally equipped and wearing the uniform properly, both coaches responded "yes."
I understand your point, but let me throw this at you: If there are players wearing 2 different knee sleeve colors during your meeting, and the answer to legally equipped is "No" (or for that matter yes, and you find out later), do you assess a technical foul? Or allow that player to adjust their equipment to make it legal? Back to the original scenario, if discovered, do you penalize with a T, or allow it, so long as it is fixed by game time?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bob jenkins;1015117
IIRC (and my memory might be as faulty as Billy's), this all started with VB where the girls would (and still usually do) wear warmup tops, and then change into the jerseys later. They would do this at the bench, showing the sports-bras to all the HS boys.
[/QUOTE]

This was the only reason I attended girls VB games back in the day. That and spandex shorts
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

For the good of the cause:

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Changes
3-4-15 Prohibits a team member from removing his/her jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area. The penalty is a technical foul.

COMMENTS ON THE 2005-06 RULES REVISIONS
JERSEYS/PANTS/SKIRTS PROHIBITED FROM BEING REMOVED (3-4-15, 10-3-7h, 10-4-1h): A team member is prohibited from removing his/her jersey and/or pants/skirt within the confines of the playing area. The penalty is a technical foul. The former uniform rule didn't require team members to actually wear the team uniform. This addition also addresses a growing behavioral concern of players removing their jerseys to demonstrate frustration or anger and as a means of attracting individual attention. The rule is intended to be applied in all situations - even when a player must change uniforms due to blood or other unusual circumstances. It is not unreasonable to expect team members to go to their locker rooms to change their jerseys.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Points Of Emphasis
1) Sporting Behavior
A) Uniforms
Players are increasingly using their uniforms in unsporting ways. Examples include: Holding the uniforms out from the chest area to display the team name to the opponent or fans; pulling the uniform out of the shorts in an emotional display; and removing the jersey either on the court or near the team bench, especially after a disqualification. The committee expects jerseys to be worn properly and remain on. New Rule 3-4-15 adds, “A player shall not remove the jersey and/or pants/skirt in the confines of the playing area”. The result is a technical foul. Uniforms must be worn as intended and the rule must be enforced. The jersey must be tucked in and the shorts must be worn properly. When a player is in violation of the rule, the player is directed to leave the game. While an untucked jersey during the normal course of play is understandable until it can be corrected, too often there are multiple warnings for clear violations. Coaches bear great responsibility in ensuring uniforms stay on team members. Official must enforce the rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 06:51pm.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good preventative officiating.

I, on the other hand, never tell a player that they have to remove anything, jewelry, illegal undershirt, etc. Per instructions by an attorney at a clinic many years ago (before the "taking off the jersey rule"), I just tell them that they can't play with illegal equipment, and leave it to the player, coach, and possibly, parent, to figure it out.

"Take out the earrings", stated by an official can have unintended (albeit very, very rare) health consequences that I just don't want to deal with.
I understand your point, and basically agree, however......sounds as if you are disregarding Case 3.5 SIT A: The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the
team warm-ups. One official notices that a member of Team A is wearing a decorative necklace. RULING: The official should inform the team member to remove the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.

Just a little teasing

Last edited by bucky; Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 09:58pm.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe by interpretation, but not by rule. The rule only states that players can't remove the jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area.
I disagree with it being considered an unsporting act. This is the part again, where in my opinion it involves skin.

Example: A1 is wearing a long-sleeve undershirt beneath his jersey. The jersey gets blood on it. A1, at the end of his bench, removes the jersey. IMO: I do not see that as being an unsporting act.

Now, same scenario, but A1 is not wearing an undershirt. I would err on the side of that being unsporting, since there is an exposed torso.

Example 2: A1 is wearing a long-sleeve undershirt beneath his jersey. A1 receives his 5th foul. Upon getting to the bench, A1 removes his jersey in disgust. IMO: I see that as being an unsporting act.

I feel, again just my opinion, that the intent of the NFHS was two-fold. One, it was to prevent exposed torsos (skin) and two, it was to penalize players removing jerseys in disgust.

I will try and follow the rules on it but if I encounter a player removing a jersey (not in disgust) with an undershirt, I would be hard-pressed to call a T.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 06:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
... in my opinion it involves skin.
Quote:
Is it the intent of the NFHS that players not show any underwear (undershirt), or skin, within the visual confines of the playing area, before, or during the game (under the jurisdiction of the officials)?
By rule, I don't believe that an undershirt exempts a player from this rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)