The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 17, 2013, 10:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Warm-ups to jerseys at bench

All twelve members of team out come out wearing their warmup tops instead of their jerseys. Before the start of the game they all change into their jerseys at the bench. Ruling: Officials assess one technical foul against Team A and an indirect against the head coach.

I have seen this before somewhere. Was this a case play or interp, or has it just been on the study guide before?

I say it is true based on 10.4.4B which states that similar multiple infractions at the same time are charged with a single team technical rather than individually and, as is this case since bench personnel are involved it is also and indirect on the HC.

But the answer key says false.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 18, 2013, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
All twelve members of team out come out wearing their warmup tops instead of their jerseys. Before the start of the game they all change into their jerseys at the bench. Ruling: Officials assess one technical foul against Team A and an indirect against the head coach.

I have seen this before somewhere. Was this a case play or interp, or has it just been on the study guide before?

I say it is true based on 10.4.4B which states that similar multiple infractions at the same time are charged with a single team technical rather than individually and, as is this case since bench personnel are involved it is also and indirect on the HC.

But the answer key says false.
The way I’m reading things in the rule book I think the difference is the OP took place before the game started. For example, if two players for Team A dunk during warm-ups, both players are penalized and the HC picks up two indirect technical fouls. (10-4-1, situation C). So in this case all of the team members would take the hit. Again, that’s my best guess.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Oct 18, 2013, 12:59am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The way I’m reading things in the rule book I think the difference is the OP took place before the game started. For example, if two players for Team A dunk during warm-ups, both players are penalized and the HC picks up two indirect technical fouls. (10-4-1, situation C). So in this case all of the team members would take the hit. Again, that’s my best guess.
The case with the dunks is actually 10.4.1 E (was it different in last year's book?) and it specifies that the dunks were separate incidents two minutes apart.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 18, 2013, 06:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Dunkin' Donuts ...

Quote:
10.4.1 E ... specifies that the dunks were separate incidents two minutes apart.
Fifteen minutes before the game is scheduled to start,
team member A1 dunks. Two minutes later A2 dunks. RULING: A1 and A2 are
both charged with a technical foul. In addition, the head coach is charged indirectly
with a technical foul for each act. The two fouls are team fouls for purpose
of reaching the bonus. When dunking occurs during the pregame practice period
the official notifies the team member and the head coach, but does not sound the
whistle. If the game is played in a state which utilizes the optional coaching box,
the coach should be informed that he/she has lost the privilege of using the
coaching box for the entire game. (10-4-1i)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 18, 2013, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

The "Tecnical-foul Penalty Summary" on p. 70 of this year's Rules Book, lists "removing jersey/pants" by Bench personnel, and the T is assessed to the Bench personnel, + an Indirect to the Head Coach.
So, it seems that in the OP the game starts with 2 FT for each of the 12, the Head Coach gone, the ball to the opponents, no Coaching Box privilege.
WOW! That would be a fiasco to start a game . . .
Would anybody volunteer to make that ruling? . . .

Last edited by Rob1968; Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 10:07am.
Old Fri Oct 18, 2013, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

2005 -06 Interps:

SITUATION 4: During the pregame warm-up, the 12 members of Team A are wearing warm-up tops, but not their team jerseys. Approximately one minute prior to the opening jump ball, the 12 Team A members go to the team bench, remove the warm-up tops and put on the team jerseys. RULING: One technical foul is charged to Team A, and it is also charged indirectly to the head coach. COMMENT: In a situation where similar multiple infractions occur at the same time, it is not the intent of the rules to penalize each individual infraction as a separate technical foul. (3-4-15; 10-4-1h)
Old Fri Oct 18, 2013, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2005 -06 Interps:

SITUATION 4: During the pregame warm-up, the 12 members of Team A are wearing warm-up tops, but not their team jerseys. Approximately one minute prior to the opening jump ball, the 12 Team A members go to the team bench, remove the warm-up tops and put on the team jerseys. RULING: One technical foul is charged to Team A, and it is also charged indirectly to the head coach. COMMENT: In a situation where similar multiple infractions occur at the same time, it is not the intent of the rules to penalize each individual infraction as a separate technical foul. (3-4-15; 10-4-1h)
At times, the NFHS does use common sense. I knew I'd read that ruling, but couldn't, quickly, put my finger on it.

Bob, how did you find it so fast.

(What about the current Answer Key, saying the answer is False?)
Old Fri Oct 18, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Bob, how did you find it so fast.

(What about the current Answer Key, saying the answer is False?)
If only this site had a thread devoted to past (archived) interps, and someone would invent a way to search for a particular term within the thread ....

Can't help with the answer key.
Old Fri Oct 18, 2013, 11:03am
We don't rent pigs

Thought I'd seen it here before. Thanks, Bob. Apparently my searching skills aren't what they ought to be. That's 2 mistakes out of 200 on the answer key. 99 percent is normally a good score on anything but in this case.....

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 18, 2013, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The case with the dunks is actually 10.4.1 E (was it different in last year's book?) and it specifies that the dunks were separate incidents two minutes apart.
Hey, I tried...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2005 -06 Interps:

Wow. I thought that rule had been put in within the last five years. Time flies.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)