The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 15, 2010, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Need a little help with jerseys

I am not a football ref but have done lots of baseball, softball, and basketball along with a few other gigs in volleyball and soccer,
So, I am not new but I am new to football stuff.
I have a friend whose son has started playing football, first year, JV.

There was a question about jersey numbers, and do they connotate positions, line, back, receivers etc,
I don't have a clue so I knew I needed to come ask you guys.
Also, rules as to proper wearing of the jersey, tucked or ok out etc.

Rules regarding equipment, pads, gloves and helmet, what are they in basic terms for this retired official.

Thanks for the help in advance.
BTW, I have orderd the rulebook and casebook for football from the NFHS but have not gotten them yet
Old Thu Jul 15, 2010, 10:29pm
Chain of Fools

Eligible receivers (backs and ends) are numbered 1-49 and 80-99. Ineligible numbers are 50-79.

Jerseys longer than the top of the pants must be tucked in.
Old Fri Jul 16, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

In some places, at JV levels and below, there will be an allowance for some latitude when it comes to proper numbering in certain positions. For the most part schools are able to cover uniform requirements by the rules, but on occasion, you will see that #67 has caught a pass, and you'll wonder from where the player came. I had that happen to me. I was WH in a JV game and a kid has #58 or some such thing and he's caught a pass. I didn't see where he lined up originally so there wasn't much I could say to the coach other than I knew the rules and the consequences and I missed seeing that player's location at the beginning of the play. Looked for him on the next few plays, lined up at tackle on the end. I would like to think the offense's coach didn't try and sneak one past us.
Old Fri Jul 16, 2010, 12:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

That's why I think the numbering rules need to be enforced at all levels but the little ones. Eligibility is too important IMO but I do recognize it is a regional thing.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2010, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=. Looked for him on the next few plays, lined up at tackle on the end. I would like to think the offense's coach didn't try and sneak one past us.[/QUOTE]

Don't mean to nitpick about semantics, but there's no such thing as
"lining up at tackle on the end", as relates to pass eligibility. Numbering aside, NF:7-5-6 defines eligibility for "A" as players, "at the time of the snap who are on the ends of their scrimmage line or legally behind their scrimmage line..."

Whom ever is on the end of the scrimmage line, including those who would otherwise be classified as tackle, guard or snapper is eligible if they anchor either end of the scrimmage line. Under normal circumstances they most also wear an eleible uniform number. (1-49, 80-99).
Old Tue Jul 20, 2010, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, that is correct. I could have stated that more clearly.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jemiller
In South Dakota the 9-man teams, which is the majority of teams in the state, do not have a numbering requirement! Talk about trick plays and coaches trying to try some unique formations. We get it all out here! Jim

Our lower division programs JV, SOPH's 9th etc. are a little more loose with the numbering requirements.