The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Noticed something watching SportsCenter tonight. There were highlights of the Tulane vs. C. Connecticut women's game because it was the first college or pro sporting event held in New Orleans since Katrina struck.

Anyway, what I noticed was that the numbers on the front of the Tulane jerseys were placed off to the left side of the player's body under the letter "E" in Tulane.
I only noticed this because we have a couple of HS teams out here that are wearing this style of jersey too and it has caused some difficulty with our state office, since the shirts are illegal under NFHS rules.

I wondered if the same were true for NCAA rules, so I looked it up.
Sure enough, I found:

Art. 10. Each team member’s game jersey shall be numbered on the front and back with plain Arabic numerals.
a. The following numbers are legal: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55. Team rosters can include 0 or 00 but not both. The numbers on the front and back of the game jersey shall be of the same color and style.
b. The number shall be at least 6 inches high on the back and at least 4 inches high on the front and not less than 3⁄4 inch in width.
c. Numbers shall be centered on the front and back of game jerseys.

I wonder if the NCAA is going to make a change and the NFHS will follow suit or if the NCAA is going to come out with a strong stance that this style of uniform is not allowed and schools shouldn't purchase them. With the Katrina situation in New Orleans, I can't see the NCAA bothering Tulane about their jerseys this year.

PS Just for those who are wondering what the NCAA prescribed penalty is, it is ONE indirect technical foul for the uniform violation by the whole team. In the NFHS, each players who participates is charged with a separate player technical foul.