The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:33pm
Back from the DL

Carrying over a warning

MS-G. Point guard A-1 is a feisty little thing with decent skills and a chip on her shoulder. Her chip grew when her mother was tossed from the crowd by my partner. (No game admin. Principal had a sick kid at home, came back to the school to apologize to us.)

Fourth quarter, B-2 steals the ball and goes on a 1-on-1 breakaway, with A-1 following. B-2 makes the layup as A-1 yells "miss!" I spoke with A-1 about that, telling her that's taunting and will be a T next time.

I have this team again this week, at another school. Should "next time" carry over into a new game?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

No. Everyone starts with a clean slate every game. Or at least they should, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

I have this team again this week, at another school. Should "next time" carry over into a new game?
No for a couple of reasons:

A) I wouldn't have given such a warning in the first place.

B) It's a new game.

As an aside, I have had to have a fan removed without a separate game administrator present. I told the person working the table that the fan had to go and let him figure out how to handle it (it's his school). I am not going to toss a fan myself.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

A) I wouldn't have given such a warning in the first place.

This.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:46pm
We don't rent pigs

There is nothing official to carry over, but a warning is not necessary in this case anyway. If you want to call it taunting you can call it a T without a warning.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
There is nothing official to carry over, but a warning is not necessary in this case anyway. If you want to call it taunting you can call it a T without a warning.
I'm not sure how you can call that taunting. 10-4-6 specifically addresses taunting.

NOTE: The NFHS disapproves of any form of Taunting which is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under any circumstances.

I wouldn't place yelling "miss" under any of those. If you wanted to call it unsporting, you could maybe get away with that. That's not a hill I'm going to die on though.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I'm not sure how you can call that taunting. 10-4-6 specifically addresses taunting.
Taunting is what he called it in the OP. The debate here, I think, is about giving a warning, not what actually constitutes taunting.

And, maybe you had to be there, but I agree with you.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Taunting is what he called it in the OP. The debate here, I think, is about giving a warning, not what actually constitutes taunting.

And, maybe you had to be there, but I agree with you.
You're right, I was more aiming comment that at OP. My bad, didn't mean to insinuate YOU were the one calling it taunting.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 01:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
MS-G. Point guard A-1 is a feisty little thing with decent skills and a chip on her shoulder. Her chip grew when her mother was tossed from the crowd by my partner. (No game admin. Principal had a sick kid at home, came back to the school to apologize to us.)

Fourth quarter, B-2 steals the ball and goes on a 1-on-1 breakaway, with A-1 following. B-2 makes the layup as A-1 yells "miss!" I spoke with A-1 about that, telling her that's taunting and will be a T next time.

1) It's not taunting

2) If you deem it unsporting, then just call a T.

3) I don't think its unsporting
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
1) It's not taunting

2) If you deem it unsporting, then just call a T.

3) I don't think its unsporting
Agreed. It's no different than players yelling "Dead! Dead! Dead!" when a player picks up a dribble.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 01:33pm
We don't rent pigs

I wish this was taunting. If it was then I guess we could put a stop to all this "BALL! BALL! BALL!" "DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" stuff that we all love so much.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Agreed. It's no different than players yelling "Dead! Dead! Dead!" when a player picks up a dribble.
Of course its different. "Dead" is intended to communicate to one's teammates that they don't have to help on a drive and can pressure passing lanes. The sole purpose of "miss!" is to bother an opponent. But I think it is viewed as an acceptable behavior in the world of hoops and am surprised to see it s something that would be warned or Td.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Things may not carry over, but there are players who are habitual pains in the rear that get a much shorter rope than others.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

If this reached the level of unsporting, or if I'm misunderstanding the play and it really is borderline taunting, then I have zero problem with carrying over the warning. Especially considering a warning isn't required in the first place.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Of course its different. "Dead" is intended to communicate to one's teammates that they don't have to help on a drive and can pressure passing lanes. The sole purpose of "miss!" is to bother an opponent. But I think it is viewed as an acceptable behavior in the world of hoops and am surprised to see it s something that would be warned or Td.
What about yelling "Ball Ball Ball" at spot throw-in inbounder? I think the primary purpose of that is to rattle the thrower in, but certainly not something I'd ever call unsporting, or even consider a T for.