The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-game warm-ups question - Full Court Warm-Up

NFHS and NCAA Please

Are there any rules against using the entire court by a team to warmup if another team isnt present?

Could be a state by state thing I suppose. Anyone from Ohio - if you know of anything specific to Ohio, let me know.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 06:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not think this is actually addressed by either organization. My suggestion is to leave it alone unless you have a specific directive from a conference, state or organization.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 07:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Somebody has to ask it. If there's only one team there, who are they going to play?
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think this is actually addressed by either organization. My suggestion is to leave it alone unless you have a specific directive from a conference, state or organization.

Peace
Totally agree. I'd leave it alone myself. I was asked by a guy on the crew to post the question to see if anyone has seen anything in print anywhere on the matter.

It came up last night at an area high school varsity game. The home team's players vacated the floor and went to the locker room. The visitors started to run some full court warm ups and someone from the home team (asst coach?) complained to the refs suggesting this was not a legal practice.

Doesnt matter what they did last night but we are looking for the correct info if any on the matter.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 07:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
NFHS and NCAA Please

Are there any rules against using the entire court by a team to warmup if another team isnt present?

Could be a state by state thing I suppose. Anyone from Ohio - if you know of anything specific to Ohio, let me know.
See NFHS rule 4-5-2. That specifies that each team's basket for practise before the game is the one farther from it's team bench. There was also a POE for a couple of years in a row starting in 2002-03 that covered pre-game situations. That POE pretty much said that the FED wanted the teams to stay in their own end, just in case.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:01pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

Peace
Yup. I know in IL it was addressed last year by Mr. Gibson.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Yup. I know in IL it was addressed last year by Mr. Gibson.
Well, whatinthehell did Mr. Gibson say? And who is Mr. Gibson?

Inquiring minds need to know!
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yeah, but this was dealing more with both teams being present on the floor. If one team goes to the locker room, that is another issue. I think Larks is specifically asking about teams running a 3 on 2 full court drills that you commonly see.

Also in Illinois they had no problem with teams running around the court as long as they did not interfere with the other team's warm-up. They also said in the meetings I attended that this applied to both teams being on the floor. It was kind of implied we were not go overboard and use some common sense.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the entire section of the POE that JR mentioned. As you can see the NFHS made some SUGGESTIONS, but ultimately left this issue up to the state associations.

2003-04 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. Sporting Behavior

B. Pre-game Situations: The committee believes this area of concern saw improvement last year, when it was first introduced as a Point of Emphasis. However, the committee felt this area was worth repeating to encourage continued diligence. Teams are deliberately running through or disrupting the opponent's pre-game warm-up. Teams are also competing for the center circle when entering the court or following player introductions.
Suggestions for improved behavior:
• The state or local athletic conference should establish appropriate pre-game procedures and protocols. A policy could be established confining teams to their own free-throw semi-circle for pre-game huddles or rituals or that only the home team utilizes the center circle.
• Coaches should take an active role and establish guidelines for their teams and permit only those pre-game rituals that promote sporting behavior and cannot be interpreted as taunting or baiting the opponent.
• Officials should be prepared to assess a technical foul to a team member/team demonstrating these unsporting acts. The specific inappropriate actions of a few team members may be individually penalized or the entire team may be assessed one technical foul, if they collectively engage in any inappropriate behavior(s). Since all team members are considered bench personnel before the game and during intermissions, the head coach would also be charged indirectly with the technical foul (10-4-1d; 2-8-1).
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, whatinthehell did Mr. Gibson say? And who is Mr. Gibson?

Inquiring minds need to know!
Lol - I almost posted the same thing.....

? "Is there a rule?" ......"Yes.....Yes there is"

Hey JR - I read 4.5.2. It does say specify opposite basket to the bench....I am sure they put that in so that it was clear where team should go. Correct me if I am wrong my tenured friend....didnt the visitors used to have their choice which end they wanted to warm up?

My point is, isnt the intent of 4.5.2 more to designate an end...it doesnt specify you cant use the entire court if the other teams isnt out there is my point. Also, wasnt that last POE more talking about teams circling the other team during warmups or high fiving at half court during intros.....
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks

My point is, isnt the intent of 4.5.2 more to designate an end...it doesnt specify you cant use the entire court if the other teams isnt out there is my point. Also, wasnt that last POE more talking about teams circling the other team during warmups or high fiving at half court during intros.....
When in doubt.....

E-mail Henry Zaborniak Jr. at OHSAA and ask him.

[email protected]

He'll probably tell you what to do.

Don't listen to me and the other dickheads posting here. Go to the horse's mouth.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was kind of implied we were not go overboard and use some common sense.

Peace
Exactly....
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When in doubt.....

E-mail Henry Zaborniak Jr. at OHSAA and ask him.

[email protected]

He'll probably tell you what to do.

Don't listen to me and the other dickheads posting here. Go to the horse's mouth.

Well.....yeah - thats probably the next step.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think that Bob will be coming along shortly, and then you're going to get deleted, you're going to get deleted, you're going to get deleted.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do the deletes apply to quotes?

Next time....use "Richard Craniums" !!