The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Disconcerting the FT shooter

Last night V4 is shooting 2nd FT at the end of a game.

Entire home team stands and shouts just before she goes into her shooting motion and as she shoots.

Currently Viewing: 9.1.3
Link to Article Rule
ART. 3

After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:

a. He/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends.

b. The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate.

c. No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower.

The penalty is another shot if missed.

Question for the forum.

Would you consider the bench opponents and penalize this action?

I say yes yet I want you vets opinion please...
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post

Entire home team stands and shouts just before she goes into her shooting motion and as she shoots.

Currently Viewing: 9.1.3
Link to Article Rule
ART. 3

After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:

a. He/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends.

b. The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate.

c. No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower.

The penalty is another shot if missed.

Question for the forum.

Would you consider the bench opponents and penalize this action?

I say yes yet I want you vets opinion please...
Yes. But I would tell them to knock it off before I make this call. I'm not going to be the first varsity official to call a bench disconcerting without at least warning them to knock it off.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Yes. But I would tell them to knock it off before I make this call. I'm not going to be the first varsity official to call a bench disconcerting without at least warning them to knock it off.
Big school varsity game I doubt they would do it. What about sub varsity or small school varsity when these kids IQ doesnt seem as high...??
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Big school varsity game I doubt they would do it. What about sub varsity or small school varsity when these kids IQ doesnt seem as high...??
Teaching moment. Tell them to knock it off.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BigT;994853]Last night V4 is shooting 2nd FT at the end of a game.

If its a sudden shout by all of them in a critical moment of the FT and little other noise etc in gym (i.e. shooter can easily hear it as opposed to a lot of other noise in general) that …disconcerts her and the FT misses giver her another FT. If the coach whines about the extra FT tell him the other option is a T for your bench standing etc. And tell him if it happens again, the optional tech won't be optional. say it in a nice way:roll eyes: This is BS basketball that i don't have much patience for...

If she makes the FT anyway, just tell them to knock it off or else. If it happens on the first FT and it was clearly a BS move designed to startle her…and it does, FT misses don't worry about being the first to give another FT.

If they start yelling and cheering as she gets the ball, just making noise through it all I'm not going to do anything about that. (if they are standing i will sit them down. ) Startling…actual disconcertion has to be there.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BigCat;994858]
Quote:

If its a sudden shout by all of them in a critical moment of the FT and little other noise etc in gym (i.e. shooter can easily hear it as opposed to a lot of other noise in general) that …disconcerts her and the FT misses giver her another FT. If the coach whines about the extra FT tell him the other option is a T for your bench standing etc. And tell him if it happens again, the optional tech won't be optional. say it in a nice way:roll eyes: This is BS basketball that i don't have much patience for...

If she makes the FT anyway, just tell them to knock it off or else. If it happens on the first FT and it was clearly a BS move designed to startle her…and it does, FT misses don't worry about being the first to give another FT.

If they start yelling and cheering as she gets the ball, just making noise through it all I'm not going to do anything about that. (if they are standing i will sit them down. ) Startling…actual disconcertion has to be there.
Thanks BigCat it was quite then out of no where they are shouting/screaming at her... it shocked me.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 01:19pm
9 times

I've written it many times on this forum. This is not golf. The FT shooter must expect noise. I would ignore it.

IMO, calling something here is looking for trouble that you don't need.

As a side note, I had a coach who would stand next to us while we were practicing FTs and he would scream in our ear. You have to learn to block distractions out.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 01:34pm
Often wrong never n doubt

IMO calling something here is merely enforcing the rules we are supposed to. Hit them with it once and I bet it stops.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
I've written it many times on this forum. This is not golf. The FT shooter must expect noise. I would ignore it.

As a side note, I had a coach who would stand next to us while we were practicing FTs and he would scream in our ear. You have to learn to block distractions out.
Let me ask you this, Suppose the defender in the third slot, just as shooter gets into motion, screams at the shooter miss it or something else. You know he is trying to play BS basketball. Lets say the shooter is startled and air balls it.

Fine, player should block out the world. i agree. Been there done that coached it etc. I would ask you to tell me why you think it's ok not to penalize the player who is intentionally being a jerk? Why wouldn't you when you know he is being an idiot? Why cut him slack? Again, i have very little patience for what i consider BS basketball. This isn't competing its being an idiot. same with the team. now as i said, if theres so much noise that the screaming doesn't add much or shouldn't startle someone then fine, don't penalize.

But, if its in a quieter setting, not many people in gym etc and you allow the player to scream, and there's an obvious disconcertion and you don't address it. You certainly will have problems. ignore it at your own risk. I don't think you will have problems if you penalize people who are acting like idiots.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Dec 14, 2016 at 01:53pm.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 02:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

It should be a T for the bench standing up when they are not allowed to by rule, so they should be happy to only get hit with disconcertion.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While I might not call it the first time, I'm not ignoring it. Too much of that and the NFHS will have to put in the word automatic on it just to get it called properly.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 02:41pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:

What "trouble" are you referring to?

The only "trouble" I possibly see is having to deal with an unhappy coach, which is hardly something new for officials that have worked a handful... hell... ANY games.

Otherwise, if the call is supported by rule (which has been shown on this thread), I have no problem with a replacement FT or even a tech.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It should be a T for the bench standing up when they are not allowed to by rule, so they should be happy to only get hit with disconcertion.
I like this Mr Bad.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 05:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This was my thought when I first read the OP.

If the bench doesn't stand, they get the disconcertion call.

No, this isn't golf, but FTs are intended to be shot without disturbance from the opponent. Shut it down, and shut it down fast. Best way to do it is with a delayed violation signal the first time you hear it.

If the shot goes in, advise the coach of the rule and the fact that you'll be enforcing it.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 10:19am
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
What "trouble" are you referring to?

The only "trouble" I possibly see is having to deal with an unhappy coach, which is hardly something new for officials that have worked a handful... hell... ANY games.

Otherwise, if the call is supported by rule (which has been shown on this thread), I have no problem with a replacement FT or even a tech.
Looking for opportunities to call Ts will open a can of worms you don't want open.

If you think my advice is crap, don't use it. I am speaking from 20+ years (and 1000s of games) of experience. I have watched many officials try to be the person who was going to be an enforcer. None of them has been very successful as an official, while those who learn to manage games have been very successful.

There are lots of ways to manage this situation. Calling a T is one of them...but probably not the best one. Learn to manage people and situations effectively if you want to be successful as an official.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019