The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Flagrant foul or not

Varsity girls... possession is secured by the offense...defender is not in legal guarding position (right up in tight)offensive player turns and elbow caughts defender in the face ....what's your call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 11:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Honestly would have to see it. I could see this as a regular PC foul if the ball handler did not measure up the defender.

This is really a HTBT situation where we would have to judge the actions before this play and even some afterwards.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbendon View Post
Varsity girls... possession is secured by the offense...defender is not in legal guarding position (right up in tight)offensive player turns and elbow caughts defender in the face ....what's your call

This is one of those things that irritates me to no end. 4 years ago(I think) the NFHS put out the point of emphasis on elbows. They said an elbow "in movement" that hits opponent in head is/was at least an intentional foul. (could be flagrant). Your play, the elbow is moving, so it would be at least, intentional under those guidelines. The player was responsible for his elbows..even if defender in his grill. Now, where can you find that information? Not in the rule book or case book. That is something that happens from time to time and should be in the rule book. Certainly with the emphasis on Concussions you'd think they'd tell us what they want on elbow/head contact and put it somewhere it can be found.

(And I have never agreed with those who say the book would be too long so we can't put all rules in a rule book. The NCAA does pretty well.

At the least I'd like to see them have an electronic library of all case plays they say are still valid and rules etc. )

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Dec 05, 2016 at 11:46pm.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 11:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
This is one of those things that irritates me to no end. 4 years ago(I think) the NFHS put out the point of emphasis on elbows. They said an elbow "in movement" that hits opponent in head is intentional foul. Your play, the elbow is moving, so it would be intentional under those guidelines. The player was responsible for his elbows..even if defender in his grill. Now, where can you find that information? Not in the rule book or case book. That is something that happens from time to time and should be in the rule book. Certainly with the emphasis on Concussions you'd think they'd tell us what they want on elbow/head contact and put it somewhere it can be found.
You do not see this anywhere because it was an overreaction and taking a position that even the NCAA backed off of. There were many times where any slight contact with an opponent would have been an intentional or flagrant when the player was doing normal basketball movements. If I recall they did not make a definitive statement across the board. But I know my state made it clear that we were not to just make this an "automatic" but to judge the nature of the contact. For example if a player is coming down a rebounding the ball and hitting the opponent in the head with an elbow where the player might not have even realized the opponent was there. After all players do try to grab the ball and come down with their elbows in some kind of way. Now our state clarified this for us here, maybe you need to get clarification from your people. The NF is just going to give what they feel needs to be addressed and the specifics are going to come from your jurisdiction as that is their overall policy it seems.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

I believe the title of your thread is erroneous for discussing a high school game. The term "flagrant" under NFHS rules means the offender is disqualified, and I don't think you're suggesting that disqualification would be warranted based on the information you described.

HTBT. Perhaps intentional, but just no way to know.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...defender is not in legal guarding position (right up in tight)offensive player turns and elbow caughts defender in the face
Sounds a lot like James Harden/Marcus Smart in the final 20 seconds of tonight's Celtics-Rockets game.

Officials ruled Flagrant 1 (after about the fourth tedious visit to the Replay Center in the final minute ... awful) and I definitely would've gone flagrant in a HS game too.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 12:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I believe the title of your thread is erroneous for discussing a high school game. The term "flagrant" under NFHS rules means the offender is disqualified, and I don't think you're suggesting that disqualification would be warranted based on the information you described.

HTBT. Perhaps intentional, but just no way to know.
He might feel that the actions deserve an ejection or the player in question was ejected so there is some question about the ruling.

I was asked the same question about a week ago by a coach at a tournament I worked and then watched. That was the way the coach addressed this situation because his player was ejected from the game apparently. So it might be why he is asking the question in the first place?

Peace
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

2012-13 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

a. . . . Excessive swinging of the elbows occurs when arms and elbows are swung about while using the shoulders as pivots, and the speed of the extended arms and elbows is in excess of the rest of the body as it rotates on the hips or on the pivot foot. . . .
b. Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders.
1) Contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.
2) An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.
3) A moving elbow that is excessive can be either an intentional foul or
flagrant personal foul.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

I wish to know why the OP believe that the defender does not have a legal guarding position. Perhaps the question is intended for NCAA rules and the new cylinder interpretation is applicable.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 10:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I wish to know why the OP believe that the defender does not have a legal guarding position. Perhaps the question is intended for NCAA rules and the new cylinder interpretation is applicable.
He stated it was a Varsity Girls contest. Are there any states that use college rules beyond implementation of the shot clock?
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

why is this not LGP?
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 11:33am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He stated it was a Varsity Girls contest. Are there any states that use college rules beyond implementation of the shot clock?
I think NYS (possibly just NYC) uses NCAA-W for girl's basketball.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
why is this not LGP?

We went with intentional foul didn't think it was a violent act ....thanks for the feed back

Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
We went with intentional foul didn't think it was a violent act ....thanks for the feed back

Still curious why you think LGP was missing.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 12:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Still curious why you think LGP was missing.
It sounds like he is interpreting this as a "cylinder play" which is not illegal in the NF level.

Peace