The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 03:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Today I called my first Flagrant Foul. I was wondering how many here have actually called one and was it an easy decision at the time?

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Today I called my first Flagrant Foul. I was wondering how many here have actually called one and was it an easy decision at the time?

Peace
IMO when I have called them they were pretty easy and obvious. What did you have Rut?

My two sense!
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace
Had one Friday night. Team down by 20+ with 2 minutes to go. Steal on f/c press and defender takes a player down harder than needed to. Frustration foul. No objections from the coach or player when I called it a flagrant and DQ'd the player. Of course I question the need to press with 20+ point lead, but that's not within my duties. I realize coaches may want to work on certain aspects of their game but he should have called off the dogs by then.

Mregor
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

I've called one - a flagrant technical. Player drove the lane, shot off balance, fell to the floor without being touched, and shouted "*@#$ YOU, REF!" at the top of his lungs.

Easy call.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I rarely call the Flagrant T...in fact have only had one, and it was in my first Varsity Game I had ever officiated.
Saw the film later...two kids were mouthing off at each other a few times down the court...now days would have seen the trouble coming right away (or at least would like to think so)
Anyway, they ended up swinging at each other during the ensuing fight. Flagrant T...ejected both.

That is probably the only time I eject someone...for fighting.

If they yell an obscenity at me...such as F*&^ you REF!
I would definitely have a T...but doubt if I would call the Flagrant here. JMO

Dude
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 11:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
I would definitely have a T...but doubt if I would call the Flagrant here. JMO

Dude
Any player who drops the "F bomb" directly at me is glued to the bench for the rest of the game and gets a recommendation for a suspension. Period.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
I would definitely have a T...but doubt if I would call the Flagrant here.
You're kiddin', right?

If not, you need to re-think that philosophy. Under no circumstances should you ever put up with anyone in the gym telling you to "F**k you, Ref!".

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Couldn't agree with you more Mark. If anyone swears like that at another player or taking out frustration(loud enough for the crowd to hear it), they are getting a T. If they swear in that fashion and it's directed at me they are done, no questions asked.

I've had a couple flagrants, all stemming from mens(rec) leagues. The one that comes to mind is after a made 2nd foul shot the player who committed the foul was not happy with a certain member of the apposing team. Instead of throwing the ball in as per usual, he proceeded to whip at at the players groin. He would have hit the player had I not restrained him.

MY question to everyone out there is how do you signal a flagrat. If it's a technical i do the normal signals for a T, then give a subdued version of the baseball ejection signal, so that I don't show my emotion.
What do you guys do?

TR
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Smile How many times as this question been asked?

There is no signal for a flagrant foul.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Would it not make sense that there be a signal in place to differentiate between a common foul and a flagrant foul, more so than the verbal report that takes place at the table?

I think there should be a signal in place to use at the spot.

TR
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wink At his groin?

Moose, I like it and it will get you ready for the baseball season. Point at him; throw your finger in the direction of the showers; and then throw the ball back at his groin.

Sounds like he had some sexual frustration issues... too! Were the two of them "Buddies?"
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Does rec ball count, (U16)? A few years back, on a turnover B2 takes off running full speed and clips A1 sending him flying a good 3ft OOB. I called a Flagrant on the kid. BÂ’s Asst. Howler Monkey comes storming on to protest the call. To make the rest short I gave him 3 Ts before he got the picture he was out of there. The league has a rule that assistants are out with 1 T.

Never close in a scholastic game.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007

IMO when I have called them they were pretty easy and obvious. What did you have Rut?
Well it was a girls games. It was a sloopy team that was at home that bearly could dribble and could bearly pass. So one of the home team players had made a steal and never quite had control of the ball and was closely guarded one of the visting team's best players. Well when this player was going to the bucket on a break (as I said she never quite had control) she finally lost the ball. She then took a swing with an open hand at defender and made some slight contact (not that that mattered). The girl who got hit did not do anything (thank God!!!). I was the lead and saw then whole play and called a foul and threw her out of the game. Easy call.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Had one last year. Home team getting beat and not happy about it. Visitor steals and goes for a layup, and H1 does the 2 handed shove in her back so V1 crumples to the ground nearly slamming into the padded wall.

Easy! Tweet, fist over head. Move towards the two players, tell the girl who fouled that she was ejected and needed to go to the bench now! Followed her over and told the coach the same thing.

Shot two FTs and inbounded from the baseline for visitors.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
You're kiddin' right?
*#%@#* No...I'm not kiddin'!
But, I would support you fully if you judged it flagrant.

Dude
P.S. But check this out Tony...I pride myself in having control of the game.
The other night I had my first Player T of the season.
The player had just received his 5th foul. As I was reporting the foul to the table, the player walked behind me and said "Thanks alot Ref, you just fouled me out"!
Whack T. (He had given my partner some grief earlier)
The Coach asked me what he said. I said, "I don't know, but it wasn't very sportsmanship like". (I don't get into what they say exactly with a Coach...it dosen't matter really...ITS HOW THEY SAY IT, NOT WHAT THEY SAY!
Soooo, I may seem short on the trigger in this instance, yet put up with way to much in the former situation...But, the end result is that hopefully the players will learn a lesson and make the game better for all involved.

Dude

[Edited by RookieDude on Jan 14th, 2003 at 04:29 PM]