View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 11:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
This is one of those things that irritates me to no end. 4 years ago(I think) the NFHS put out the point of emphasis on elbows. They said an elbow "in movement" that hits opponent in head is intentional foul. Your play, the elbow is moving, so it would be intentional under those guidelines. The player was responsible for his elbows..even if defender in his grill. Now, where can you find that information? Not in the rule book or case book. That is something that happens from time to time and should be in the rule book. Certainly with the emphasis on Concussions you'd think they'd tell us what they want on elbow/head contact and put it somewhere it can be found.
You do not see this anywhere because it was an overreaction and taking a position that even the NCAA backed off of. There were many times where any slight contact with an opponent would have been an intentional or flagrant when the player was doing normal basketball movements. If I recall they did not make a definitive statement across the board. But I know my state made it clear that we were not to just make this an "automatic" but to judge the nature of the contact. For example if a player is coming down a rebounding the ball and hitting the opponent in the head with an elbow where the player might not have even realized the opponent was there. After all players do try to grab the ball and come down with their elbows in some kind of way. Now our state clarified this for us here, maybe you need to get clarification from your people. The NF is just going to give what they feel needs to be addressed and the specifics are going to come from your jurisdiction as that is their overall policy it seems.

Peace