The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Old Free Throw Mechanics

I am a fan here and was watching footage of some old games when I saw something that jumped out at me: On free throws, one official would bounce the ball to another official in the center of the lane, and then, that official would hand the ball to the shooter. Nowadays, you just see the guy under the goal bounce it directly to the shooter.

As a fan, I am just curious: What was the reason for the change?

Thanks in advance.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 10:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
I am a fan here and was watching footage of some old games when I saw something that jumped out at me: On free throws, one official would bounce the ball to another official in the center of the lane, and then, that official would hand the ball to the shooter. Nowadays, you just see the guy under the goal bounce it directly to the shooter.

As a fan, I am just curious: What was the reason for the change?

Thanks in advance.
Oh the old "face time" mechanic.

The adjustment was simple, they thought it was more expedient to give the Lead the opportunity to bounce the ball to the thrower themselves. The Lead at one time would bounce the ball to the Trail or Center for all FTs and then they changed it to the Lead doing it on the last FT. I think it was a waste of time and they realized this and changed it. Not much more complicated than that if you ask me. That is what I remember when this change was talked about. I am sure someone much older will clarify the situation. This changed like in my first few years of my career.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 11:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Cut A Hole In The Bottom Of The Basket ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... it was more expedient ...
The NFHS also changed the mechanic where one official would climb up the ladder and get the ball out of the peach basket after every made basket.

Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Why did you guys change that mechanic?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 02:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

It used to be verboten to ever "throw" the ball to a player....ever.

When I started in 1987, we handed every ball for every throw-in and for every free throw. At one point, we moved to the lead bouncing the second free throw. Eventually we were allowed to bounce all of them. Also, we were allowed at some point to bounce many of the throw-ins, as well.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The adjustment was simple, they thought it was more expedient to give the Lead the opportunity to bounce the ball to the thrower themselves. The Lead at one time would bounce the ball to the Trail or Center for all FTs and then they changed it to the Lead doing it on the last FT. I think it was a waste of time and they realized this and changed it. Not much more complicated than that if you ask me. That is what I remember when this change was talked about. I am sure someone much older will clarify the situation. This changed like in my first few years of my career.

Peace
I hated it when we were doing it

I kind of remember it coming in a stretch of time when they also removed signaling "two" every time a shot went in...which seemed really odd since the 3-point shot didn't come into college until '86-87 and it reached HS a few years after that.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 06:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
... we were allowed at some point to bounce many of the throw-ins, as well.
Local IAABO mechanics allow us to bounce the ball on any throwin except frontcourt endline throwins. We are discouraged from bouncing on backcourt endline, and sideline, throwins if there is strong defensive pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It used to be verboten to ever "throw" the ball to a player....ever.
Even now, with the more modern, liberal, throwin mechanic options, the only time (usually) I will bounce is as the lead (two person) to inbounders on the sideline below the free throw line extended, and on backcourt endline "run the line" throwins.

It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks, especially when the old tricks are still an acceptable option allowed by IAABO mechanics. If the bounce ever becomes mandatory, I will change with the times.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 17, 2016 at 06:31am.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 07:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Local IAABO mechanics allow us to bounce the ball on any throwin except frontcourt endline throwins. We are discouraged from bouncing on backcourt endline, and sideline, throwins if there is strong defensive pressure.

Even now, with the more modern, liberal, throwin mechanic options, the only time (usually) I will bounce is as the lead (two person) to inbounders on the sideline below the free throw line extended, and on backcourt endline "run the line" throwins.

It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks, especially when the old tricks are still an acceptable option allowed by IAABO mechanics. If the bounce ever becomes mandatory, I will change with the times.
I bounce cause I want to be in the position where I want to officiate -- I don't want to hand the ball and then have to move.

I remember signaling 2 on every made FG and 1 on every made FT. Another idiotic mechanic that went away.

Remember how we used to count with a flick of the wrist down from the waist rather than with an extended arm?

Love the HS games on YouTube from the mid-to-late 80s. Remind me of the old days.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 04:58pm
Administrator

Quote:

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The NFHS also changed the mechanic where one official would climb up the ladder and get the ball out of the peach basket after every made basket.

Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Why did you guys change that mechanic?

I just got back home from Florida today in time to have lunch with my wonderful "better half" and then sit down and watch the tournament and I found three pages of new threads. Mark, Jr., flew back this past Saturday because UT's Spring Break was over this past Sunday and I stayed to umpire three more DHs.

Rut is correct. It is more expedient. Back in the "ancient days" there was a player for a H.S. in Michigan would take the ball out of your hand an that was the start of his shooting motion; the ball would be out of his hands for his FTA before you could get out of the FT Circle.

I like the current mechanic.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio