The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

The offical that is not administering the ball to the thrower... He/she is counting and watching for line and lane violations. Does the hand go up as the final free throw is shot and down when the ball is touched? And what is his/position of the court?

And where does the administering official stand during the first of two throws?

Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by dknick78
The offical that is not administering the ball to the thrower... He/she is counting and watching for line and lane violations. Does the hand go up as the final free throw is shot and down when the ball is touched?
Yes.

Quote:
And what is his/position of the court?

Upright.

Quote:
Downwind.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

A properly administered Air Biscuit will find you whether upwind or downwind.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Sorry, I am new (2nd year). Just trying to keep everybody happy.

Once you tell your partner on any given night that it is your second year, you get a lot of advice. Wanted or not...
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Don't tell him.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
dknick, glad you found the forum. Mark gave you some light-hearted answers to your questions. Here are a couple more serious answers.

Quote:
The offical that is not administering the ball to the thrower... He/she is counting and watching for line and lane violations. Does the hand go up as the final free throw is shot and down when the ball is touched?
Mark got this one right. Trail official in a 2-whistle game, or the Center official in a 3-whistle game, observes the free thrower for violations and has a 10-second count. S/he raises one arm when the FT is released if it might stay live on a miss. If it misses, then the official will "chop" in time when the ball is touched inbounds.

Quote:
And what is his/position of the court?
The official responsible for chopping the clock should stand on the side of the floor opposite the table. S/he should stand just outside the 3-point arc (maybe two steps outside) and about even with the top of the FT semi-circle. When the FT is released, the official should take two steps toward the basket. This will put the official just about at the FT line extended, and will give a better view of the rebounding action.

Quote:
The administering official should stand OOB (not in the lowest lane space), a step or two outside the lane, so that s/he is not in the direct view of the FT shooter.

As for all the advice that you are getting (whether desired or not), see if it makes sense to you. If it does, say "Thanks" and put it into your game. If it doesn't make sense, say "Thanks" and forget about it. Good luck with the rest of your season!
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sorry, I am new (2nd year). Just trying to keep everybody happy.

Once you tell your partner on any given night that it is your second year, you get a lot of advice. Wanted or not...
nine01c has it right. Don't tell him. When I had my first varsity game last week, my partner didn't know until after the game that it was my first one. He knew I hadn't done many (he could tell that for several reasons, I'm sure) but said after the game (I told him when he asked on the way home) he would never have guessed it was my first varsity experience.

SNAQWELLS