The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 09:19pm
Stubborn Member

Running Out Of Locker Room

My partners and I saw this happen at our game this evening, and while we swear we've read something about it being illegal we couldn't remember it well enough to make a call.

The visiting team was warming up when the home team ran out of their locker room. Their locker room was right next to their side of the gym to warm up on, however they proceeded to run down to to other end and run around where the visiting team was warming up.

I'm sure I read that a team had to go directly to their side to warm up, but when I checked afterwards I couldn't find anything. Help?
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
My partners and I saw this happen at our game this evening, and while we swear we've read something about it being illegal we couldn't remember it well enough to make a call.

The visiting team was warming up when the home team ran out of their locker room. Their locker room was right next to their side of the gym to warm up on, however they proceeded to run down to to other end and run around where the visiting team was warming up.

I'm sure I read that a team had to go directly to their side to warm up, but when I checked afterwards I couldn't find anything. Help?
It was in one of those handouts years ago I think. I think it said it should be a T. It's nowhere to be found now...and we have bigger things to worry about...as you know.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 10:32pm
Archaic Power Monger

It was a POE a few years ago.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 11:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It was a POE a few years ago.
2011-12 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. SPORTING BEHAVIOR. The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee continues to be concerned about the following behaviors:

A. Pregame Situations. Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under the basket where opponents are warming up. Teams should only enter, jog or warm-up on their own half of the court. Gatherings intended to motivate a team after the warm-up period, during or following player introductions and post-game celebrations should be performed in the area directly in front of the team bench. If during the pregame or half-time warm-up period one team leaves the floor, the other team should not use the entire court; teams should only warm-up on their half of the court. Only authorized personnel should be permitted on the floor. All spectators should be in designated areas.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 11:22pm
Stubborn Member

Ok...

Would got call a tech in my case?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 12:22am
AremRed

Given that I can't find any mention of it in this year's rulebook, no.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok...

Would you call a tech in my case?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Yes, it's part of the unsporting behavior rule.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yes, it's part of the unsporting behavior rule.
How can a new/newer official know a 5-year-old interpretation, if it doesn't appear in a contemporary rule or case book? Was the case deleted because the ruling was changed or abandoned or subsequently deemed wrong? If the reasoning for its disappearance isn't apparent, how can the ruling be considered authoritative?

Is the conduct disrespectful or taunting? Without more, I don't see this.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

When I see a team about to run out I tell them they can only run around their half of the court. If a team runs around the whole court, and I didn't get an opportunity to tell them this I wouldn't T. But I would tell the coach and if I had them again and they did it I would then T.

In all cases when I have told a coach they have always said that I'm the first to have brought this to their attention.

It's similar to after introductions when team huddle at mid court, which they are not allowed to do. They get one warning, but I usually make it out to them to move them to their FT area by their bench.

The issue is that officials are not enforcing these rules so is it wise to be the lone wolf? If you know a coach or team has been warned before then by all means T them, but to just throw a T out when enforcement for this is slim to none (at least in my area) is OO in my opinion.

Not ideal by any means but its the reality.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
How can a new/newer official know a 5-year-old interpretation, if it doesn't appear in a contemporary rule or case book? Was the case deleted because the ruling was changed or abandoned or subsequently deemed wrong? If the reasoning for its disappearance isn't apparent, how can the ruling be considered authoritative?

Is the conduct disrespectful or taunting? Without more, I don't see this.
This was a POE, not a case book ruling. The purpose was to emphasize a type of unsportsmanlike behavior that had apparently become a problem and needed to be addressed.

I'm with Deecee on this, be preventative to avoid havig to penalize if possible - if they ignore you, you still have the penalty to fall back on, but honestly, I've never had to go that far. Most of the time it isn't an issue as the players are usually on the court before the officials, but once in awhile it happens. More common is the huddling at mid court - a couple times this season we have had to move them to their half of the court.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

What if there court is on the opposite end and the visiting to is on the court can they run the baseline to get to their court or do they have to run along there bench side line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbendon View Post
What if there court is on the opposite end and the visiting to is on the court can they run the baseline to get to their court or do they have to run along there bench side line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's use common sense here. They can't teleport to their end. The POE was for teams running AROUND the court. In this case let them come out on whichever line they choose (could be both).
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 01:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Points of Emphases ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
How can a new/newer official know a 5-year-old interpretation, if it doesn't appear in a contemporary rule or case book?
The NFHS is infamous for coming up with Points of Emphases without changing the rulebook (excessive swinging of elbows with contact above the shoulders, protecting the free throw shooter, etc.). I really wish that they would stop doing this, but if I'm a veteran, and know the point of emphasis, I'm going to follow it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You can go to ohsaabasketball.com for information on this. Scroll down past several articles until you get to 2014-15 Director's Bulletin #3, Item 2. It will also give you a link to go to the NFHS pre-season POE that further explains it. I believe officials in some states have been told to rule it an automatic technical. The NFHS and OHSAA wording is "if warranted or if necessary" a technical may be called. Situations where a team deliberately runs through the opponents warm-up area or interferes with their warm up routine would be warranted. So, in your situation a technical perhaps would not be warranted. However, at our state interpreter's meeting back then, we were told to do an online game report and send to the OHSAA and the school reminding them this type of entry into the gym is considered unsporting and could result in a team technical foul and indirect to the coach.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 01:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
It was in one of those handouts years ago I think. I think it said it should be a T. It's nowhere to be found now...and we have bigger things to worry about...as you know.
What bigger thing is there than to make sure there's no unsporting behavior before the game?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk