The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Old Free Throw Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101113-old-free-throw-mechanics.html)

Fan10 Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:44pm

Old Free Throw Mechanics

I am a fan here and was watching footage of some old games when I saw something that jumped out at me: On free throws, one official would bounce the ball to another official in the center of the lane, and then, that official would hand the ball to the shooter. Nowadays, you just see the guy under the goal bounce it directly to the shooter.

As a fan, I am just curious: What was the reason for the change?

Thanks in advance.

JRutledge Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan10 (Post 984387)
I am a fan here and was watching footage of some old games when I saw something that jumped out at me: On free throws, one official would bounce the ball to another official in the center of the lane, and then, that official would hand the ball to the shooter. Nowadays, you just see the guy under the goal bounce it directly to the shooter.

As a fan, I am just curious: What was the reason for the change?

Thanks in advance.

Oh the old "face time" mechanic. :D

The adjustment was simple, they thought it was more expedient to give the Lead the opportunity to bounce the ball to the thrower themselves. The Lead at one time would bounce the ball to the Trail or Center for all FTs and then they changed it to the Lead doing it on the last FT. I think it was a waste of time and they realized this and changed it. Not much more complicated than that if you ask me. That is what I remember when this change was talked about. I am sure someone much older will clarify the situation. This changed like in my first few years of my career.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:07pm

Just Cut A Hole In The Bottom Of The Basket ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 984388)
... it was more expedient ...

The NFHS also changed the mechanic where one official would climb up the ladder and get the ball out of the peach basket after every made basket.

Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Why did you guys change that mechanic?

Rich Thu Mar 17, 2016 02:04am

It used to be verboten to ever "throw" the ball to a player....ever.

When I started in 1987, we handed every ball for every throw-in and for every free throw. At one point, we moved to the lead bouncing the second free throw. Eventually we were allowed to bounce all of them. Also, we were allowed at some point to bounce many of the throw-ins, as well.

JetMetFan Thu Mar 17, 2016 04:53am

Quote:

The adjustment was simple, they thought it was more expedient to give the Lead the opportunity to bounce the ball to the thrower themselves. The Lead at one time would bounce the ball to the Trail or Center for all FTs and then they changed it to the Lead doing it on the last FT. I think it was a waste of time and they realized this and changed it. Not much more complicated than that if you ask me. That is what I remember when this change was talked about. I am sure someone much older will clarify the situation. This changed like in my first few years of my career.

Peace

I hated it when we were doing it :)

I kind of remember it coming in a stretch of time when they also removed signaling "two" every time a shot went in...which seemed really odd since the 3-point shot didn't come into college until '86-87 and it reached HS a few years after that.

BillyMac Thu Mar 17, 2016 06:20am

Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 984398)
... we were allowed at some point to bounce many of the throw-ins, as well.

Local IAABO mechanics allow us to bounce the ball on any throwin except frontcourt endline throwins. We are discouraged from bouncing on backcourt endline, and sideline, throwins if there is strong defensive pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 984398)
It used to be verboten to ever "throw" the ball to a player....ever.

Even now, with the more modern, liberal, throwin mechanic options, the only time (usually) I will bounce is as the lead (two person) to inbounders on the sideline below the free throw line extended, and on backcourt endline "run the line" throwins.

It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks, especially when the old tricks are still an acceptable option allowed by IAABO mechanics. If the bounce ever becomes mandatory, I will change with the times.

Rich Thu Mar 17, 2016 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 984401)
Local IAABO mechanics allow us to bounce the ball on any throwin except frontcourt endline throwins. We are discouraged from bouncing on backcourt endline, and sideline, throwins if there is strong defensive pressure.

Even now, with the more modern, liberal, throwin mechanic options, the only time (usually) I will bounce is as the lead (two person) to inbounders on the sideline below the free throw line extended, and on backcourt endline "run the line" throwins.

It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks, especially when the old tricks are still an acceptable option allowed by IAABO mechanics. If the bounce ever becomes mandatory, I will change with the times.

I bounce cause I want to be in the position where I want to officiate -- I don't want to hand the ball and then have to move.

I remember signaling 2 on every made FG and 1 on every made FT. Another idiotic mechanic that went away.

Remember how we used to count with a flick of the wrist down from the waist rather than with an extended arm?

Love the HS games on YouTube from the mid-to-late 80s. Remind me of the old days.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Mar 17, 2016 04:58pm

Quote:

Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 984390)
The NFHS also changed the mechanic where one official would climb up the ladder and get the ball out of the peach basket after every made basket.

Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Why did you guys change that mechanic?

I just got back home from Florida today in time to have lunch with my wonderful "better half" and then sit down and watch the tournament and I found three pages of new threads. Mark, Jr., flew back this past Saturday because UT's Spring Break was over this past Sunday and I stayed to umpire three more DHs.

Rut is correct. It is more expedient. Back in the "ancient days" there was a player for a H.S. in Michigan would take the ball out of your hand an that was the start of his shooting motion; the ball would be out of his hands for his FTA before you could get out of the FT Circle.

I like the current mechanic.

MTD, Sr.