The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 10:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
What else has he said about the situation? If I was the assignor, I think I would have thanked you before anything else.
Yep, from the sounds of it, you saved your assigner a viral video involving his game.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My goal was to talk sense into him at the time. It quickly became obvious that wasn't going to happen.

Drive bus over partner....back bus up over partner.....drive bus over partner....
That was your problem. He pretty much proved to you he didn't have any "sense" when he made that call...
you probably should have screamed…"r u ….ing insane?"…and continued screaming at him to make him think you were insane….

Can't believe it...
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I would disagree with that. I can't believe both coaches were fine with any of this, before or after the locker room tirade. Especially if this was a rivalry/division game or just two highly ranked teams. The whole thing, as described, is very unusual. I would love to hear what the coaches are telling their peers about what happened, just to see how it all went down from their perspective.

Is there any video from the end of regulation through the OT?
What would you have said? I should've said I didn't think an explanation was needed, not that one wasn't. I also wouldn't say coaches were fine with it, especially the home coach when the basket was waved off. Or the away coach when we counted it. The comment I made was the only thing I said towards our phenomenal performance when a coach asked me about what happened. The third official who stayed explained the situation to the coaches and I figured they understood mostly what had happened.

Two comments popped into my head. The one I said and, "Why don't you ask the clown?"

When isn't there video these days? As far as I know it's still on the school's cloud or whatever. My assigner also took a look at it.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 12:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I really think that this is a time for the crew to eat some humble pie.

If the partner won't be the one to explain how he screwed up, I think it's on you as the R to do that.

"The ball was tapped before the horn. That's legal. We mistakenly applied the 0.3 second rule to a tapped ball. We're fixing our mistake."
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If the partner won't be the one to explain how he screwed up, I think it's on you as the R to do that.

"The ball was tapped before the horn. That's legal. We mistakenly applied the 0.3 second rule to a tapped ball. We're fixing our mistake."
Fair enough. Well said and I like it a lot better than what I did.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 12:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Fair enough. Well said and I like it a lot better than what I did.
Easy to do at a keyboard. Probably not as easy in the heat of the moment.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Easy to do at a keyboard. Probably not as easy in the heat of the moment.
Of course . . .but also good to think of these types of scenarios with the leisure of the key board, as they may come in handy some time in the heat of the moment.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Of course . . .but also good to think of these types of scenarios with the leisure of the key board, as they may come in handy some time in the heat of the moment.
True, and it's especially good to think of it in terms of concepts. Rich's concept of just eating crow as a crew is a good one here. Everyone knows what happened, so there's no point in sugar coating it. "We messed it up, we're fixing it. Let's play ball."
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I've been thinking of the best way to tell the coach, this is it for sure. Like you said, easy to type up, but certainly this seems to be about the best to-the-point explanation you could have.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Spare a thought for the poor 3rd official who was left holding the bag in the gym while this was going on in the locker room. That had to be an uncomfortable feeling.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Spare a thought for the poor 3rd official who was left holding the bag in the gym while this was going on in the locker room. That had to be an uncomfortable feeling.
Great point.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:54pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Were there ANY repercussions for the official who went all Al Haig on that play?
Big ups to Amesman for the Alexander Haig reference.

Does this mean we can refer to Rich as "GHWB"?
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
You think it's false. Now you don't think it's false. Then you think your coaches are in a different box than the ones around here.

An explanation is NOT what was needed in this scenario. I was sure both coaches knew exactly what happened. Coaches are the majority of my votes and I don't think there's even a chance I lost a vote this night.

Cute change of story, kinda. Assigner called me about the write-up of the play I gave him. The official was the one who said people overheard me lighting him up. As of now, the assigner said no one else had contacted him about poor behavior in dealing with another official. Hope it stays that way, but it took some stress off since before I figured there was a chance if there were complaints by anyone in the school they may have banned me from officiating there.
Not sure what you're getting at here. I said it's false because IT WAS and never said anything different. My point about it not being about "what I think" is b/c its not a matter of opinion. Your statement was factually incorrect no matter how one wants to spin it.

And I said nothing about "coaches being in a different box" either. I just know that explanation to the vast majority of the coaches I deal with would end up being very problematic.

At the end of the day your crew got the play right and the explanation worked for you in that situation. All good.

But I strongly disagree that the scenario did not need an explanation. It most certainly did. You were just fortunate, IMO, that the coaches accepted the one you gave them without further issue.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Not sure what you're getting at here. I said it's false because IT WAS and never said anything different. My point about it not being about "what I think" is b/c its not a matter of opinion. Your statement was factually incorrect no matter how one wants to spin it.

And I said nothing about "coaches being in a different box" either. I just know that explanation to the vast majority of the coaches I deal with would end up being very problematic.

At the end of the day your crew got the play right and the explanation worked for you in that situation. All good.

But I strongly disagree that the scenario did not need an explanation. It most certainly did. You were just fortunate, IMO, that the coaches accepted the one you gave them without further issue.
It wasn't factually incorrect. We were confused on the last play and the calling official didn't think it'd change the outcome of the game. What I said is basically exactly what happened. We just fixed what initially was called.

Thinking something would be problematic and what would actually happen are two very different things. I can't even remember that last time I had a major problem with a coach and I wasn't worried about them during this game.

I'm fortunate for many things, but this isn't one of them. The worst case scenario is a coach asks another question because he didn't like what I said. Zero harm done as I just better explain what happened. There have been some great responses on a better way to handle mucking up a call, but nothing could've possibly gone wrong here(At the point I was talking to the coaches. they were already calmed down at this point and just wanted to know what went on). Again, worst case the coaches ask me another question.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 02:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've realized over the years that when I (or the crew) screws something up, nothing cuts to the chase like eating a heaping helping of crow, keeping in mind that you can't go to that well often -- or maybe you don't belong working whatever level you're working.

We're human. People have better BS detectors than most give them credit for, even coaches. Key thing is that you are keeping control of the situation even when you're telling them you screwed up.