The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Okay, to be more clear, why do people think you can pivot on a non-pivot foot?
If you are using "pivot" in the same manner as the NFHS definition in Rule 4, then you are correct that such action would be illegal.

If you simply mean to turn or twist on the non-pivot foot, then that is different and not illegal as long as the pivot foot doesn't return to the floor.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 06:45pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I'm guessing the confusion on this issue is whether the non-pivot foot, while on the ground, and while the originally established pivot foot is in the air, can be rotated on the so-called "balls of the feet."
Right. In other words, you can only pivot on the pivot foot, and you only get one of those.

Here's a case book citation.
Quote:
NFHS 4.44.2A: Dribbler A1 catches the ball with the right foot touching the floor and then jumps off that foot an alights on both feet simultaneously... RULING: ... it is a violation if A1 pivots on either foot.
Therefore, if you pivot on a non-pivot foot, that's travelling. Where this typically applies in a spin move is that the ball handler pivots on his pivot foot, then pivots on the non-pivot foot.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Bainsey,
I'm confused by your answer. Please state whether you believe that a player can do this or not:
============================================
Originally Posted by frezer11
I'm guessing the confusion on this issue is whether the non-pivot foot, while on the ground, and while the originally established pivot foot is in the air, can be rotated on the so-called "balls of the feet."
=============================================
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 06:57pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Bainsey,
I'm confused by your answer. Please state whether you believe that a player can do this or not:
============================================
Originally Posted by frezer11
=============================================
That sounds to me like a pivot on a non-pivot foot, so NO.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That sounds to me like a pivot on a non-pivot foot, so NO.
Okay, you have an incorrect understanding.
There is nothing wrong with twisting or turning the non-pivot foot while the other foot remains in the air.

The definition of pivot was provided by Camron and involves stepping with the other foot while one foot is kept in contact with the floor. That would be illegal when done with the non-pivot foot as the other foot would touch the floor again by definition.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

There was a game-winning basket made in the NCAA tournament a few years ago by Georgetown's Jeff Green against Vanderbilt in this exact manner. Please do an Internet search for the video.

We had a fairly extensive thread on the play on this forum as the TV announcers initially incorrectly screamed for a travel. The NCAA announced that the move was perfectly legal.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 07:31pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Okay, you have an incorrect understanding.
There is nothing wrong with twisting or turning the non-pivot foot while the other foot remains in the air.
NFHS citation, please?

Quote:
There was a game-winning basket made in the NCAA tournament a few years ago by Georgetown's Jeff Green against Vanderbilt in this exact manner. Please do an Internet search for the video.
If you mean the 2007 regional semi, there was travelling on that play before the initial drive was even made, but that hardly matters. What constitutes a travel in the NCAA is very different than the pockets of Roman Law we deal with in NFHS.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS citation, please?

If you mean the 2007 regional semi, there was travelling on that play before the initial drive was even made, but that hardly matters. What constitutes a travel in the NCAA is very different than the pockets of Roman Law we deal with in NFHS.
Other than the NFHS defintion of traveling, I don't know what you want me to provide. Traveling has nothing to do with twisting or turning. It only involves illegally lifting the pivot (before starting a dribble) and putting it back down while holding the ball.

Yes, the 2007 game was the one. I do not know of any difference in the NCAAM traveling rule from the NFHS rule.

Here are two threads we had on that situation:
https://forum.officiating.com/basket...diots-too.html

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...-incident.html

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Jan 10, 2016 at 07:46pm.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm assuming you mean, "until the lifted pivot foot touches again." If I assume correctly, can you give me a rule citation?
see 4.44.3.a & 4.44.3.b

Last edited by TimTaylor; Sun Jan 10, 2016 at 08:02pm.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 08:10pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Traveling has nothing to do with twisting or turning. It only involves illegally lifting the pivot (before starting a dribble) and putting it back down while holding the ball.
Not exclusively. See the case book play I cited earlier.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Still incorrect.

"NFHS 4.44.2A: Dribbler A1 catches the ball with the right foot touching the floor and then jumps off that foot an alights on both feet simultaneously... RULING: ... it is a violation if A1 pivots on either foot."

In this case book play which you cited, after completing this jumpstop A1 may still jump in order to pass or shoot. A1 can certainly lift either foot, he just can't put it back down.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The sit. you cited refers specifically to when a player may or may not pivot relative to a jump stop when receiving a pass.

See the definition of pivot from 4.33 that Camron cited:

A pivot takes place when a player who is holding the ball steps once, or more than once, in any direction with the same foot while the other foot, called the pivot foot, is kept at its point of contact with the floor.

To "step" you must pick up a foot and put it back down.

Last edited by TimTaylor; Mon Jan 11, 2016 at 12:25am.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 08:53pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
In this case book play which you cited, after completing this jumpstop A1 may still jump in order to pass or shoot. A1 can certainly lift either foot, he just can't put it back down.
Not arguing that, but that's not the sole definition of travelling.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not arguing that, but that's not the sole definition of travelling.
I provided the NFHS definition for a standing player holding the ball with the exception of one who falls to the floor (NFHS definition is touching with other than a hand or foot). Otherwise NFHS traveling only covers a player who secures control while already on the floor, but that wasn't relevant to your situation or questions about a pivot.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 11:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
NFHS citation, please?

What's different about the traveling rule in regards to the play being discussed?